Quickest way Airline/Corporate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gulfstream 200 said:
HMR is right on - could not agree more with the above! If one has some self discipline / motivation there is certainly NO reason to go to some dumba$$ "Aviation Academy".

and yes, I have also seen a Fortune 50 CEO wander into the flight school I worked at looking for BFR's. His company had 4 Falcons on theother side of the airport....never know where a networking opportunity comes us!

A guy hired at XJET was hired the same way, Checked out Mgmt Pilot in a 172 at the local airport.

get your degree in the cheapest/easiest way possible (It is just a box you check on any application), besdies that get your ratings at a low overhead FBO (mom&pop) this means the training is a little cheaper and you might be able to save a grand or two. Get your CFI/CFII/MEI at an FBO you wouldnt mind working at for a year or two....best bet is they will hire you. After you have gotten yourself in 40k of debt have go have fun making 20k a year, yipee.

Get your commercial cert, then knock up a chief pilot's daughter.

Seriously, You can go self paced at any FBO. Get your ratings at an FBO that gets a decent amount of business, instruct for a while, then send the resume out to XJET, ASA, etc.

When you all say "Academies", do you think that would include a place like ATP (or ALLATP's, or whatever they call themselves)? It looks like they offer a program whereby you come out with all your ratings and about 200 hours of multi time, for about $40K--which might be higher than the FBO route, but is no 100K. Plus, ATP is no Tab Express.

Does the much hated, oft-mentioned "Pay for Training" apply to this school, or is this a real option?

For all the safety pilot time you get at ATPs, you could do that program much cheaper at an FBO. I looked at the ATP program in 2001, I believe it was $23,900 then and I don't believe the program has changed much since then.

All ATPs may not be the cheapest, but I know that they have agreements with at least one or two airlines that you can interview with extremelely low time if you get your ratings through them (500 to 600 total time)... I didnt do it, and I know a lot airline pilots that look down on those that did, but if you are looking for the quickest way, it's something to consider.

flyingboricua said:
I'm a 30 year old student currently working on my Private, and was wondering if anyone had some input on what the quickest way was to get in line with the big dogs...Currently I'm obtaining my private from the local FBO but at one time considered doing the 4yr Aviation degree at several colleges. I inquired about Delta Connection, Spartan, Flight Safety, and Embry R. Not too long ago I heard about the Mesa Pilot developing program and got even more confused.
Now I'm considering just finishing all my ratings at the local FBO and getting a 4yr degree online to go along with the ratings.
At the same time, I've landed a job as a Flight Attendant with a good airline....

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Congrats on the new job!

If you are looking to earn your degree at an Academy, check out their associated degree programs first. I believe at most the Academies offer a two-year associates degree (some exceptions include Embry Riddle, UND).

You are currently employed, working on your flight training, and continuing your education. In that scenario, I'd recommend getting your ratings at your local flight school, FBO. That would allow you the most flexibility at the most economical rate. You will still have an income while at the same time being able to manage "your" schedule.

Do not worry about your age, you are still young. There is still so much opportunity and potential ahead of you.

Latest resources

Back