• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Questions for the UNICAL pilots.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I got hammered on where I'll be on the list on retirement date. Went from ~3000 to ~6300.
From the number of pilots at LUAL alone and then combined, it appears you're just over 50% before and after. No change

SLI's, disputes. I've seen that somewhere before...:rolleyes:

Move on guys. It's a new world. We all get screwed when our
plan isn't played out like we mapped out when we got hired.
Pissing and moaning is only going to better the senority of the
pilot behind you.

SLI's, disputes. I've seen that somewhere before...:rolleyes:

Move on guys. It's a new world. We all get screwed when our
plan isn't played out like we mapped out when we got hired.
Pissing and moaning is only going to better the senority of the
pilot behind you.

Sums it up quite well.

From the number of pilots at LUAL alone and then combined, it appears you're just over 50% before and after. No change

That's the error of your thinking. CAL brought a third of the widebodies to the merger hence the UAL guys at the same percentage has less access to the larger aircraft. If CAL brought the same number of widebodies then there wouldnt be a problem!

Funny, the CAL guys now have access to widebodies they never would have had as a standalone. The UAL guys from '97 and later are blended with CAL guys hired in '05 and later who are for the most part younger. In 20 years, the top of the new United seniority list will be dominated by these same younger CAL pilots.

As a UAL pilot,I went from holding the 747 when I retire to holding the 767 with this SLI. Hardly a decimation for the CAL guys, lol.

That's painting the CAL list with too broad a stroke. I was always forecasted to make WB captain at CAL from day one, well before any UAL merger. The UAL aircraft did nothing to improve my career prospects. It has to do with the age we are when hired. I got hired in my mid-thirties and felt screwed compared to the guys hired before me who where much younger (mid-twenties). So what there's always someone younger. You get over it. Now, in my mid forties, I will recover from this raping, but it will take 15 years. I get that some UAL guys would never recover, were the arbitrators to accept the CAL proposal. But they never even came close to considering something in the middle as a resolution. They handed our seniority over on a silver platter. I moved back double-digits, while UAL pilots moved up the same amount. A net swing of 30+%.

Age as a consideration isn't mentioned anywhere in ALPA MP. So if they rejected the CAL MC's methodology because it didn't follow ALPA MP, which it apparently didn't, how can they use methodology outside the charter of ALPA MP in another area (age)?

Anyway, time to move on.

No; it moved from low 40s percentile to over 50%.
I've gone from being able to eventually make 75/767 Cap to, at best, guppy cap.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back