Questions for ATC controllers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mach 80

Unfortunately I haven't visited an ATC facility in years but just curious about a few things.

1.How do you know when an aircraft has "checked in" with you? I know sometimes things get busy and I have waited for things to slow down before "checking in" and if I haven't a controller will call and ask if I have. Do you mark a strip or do you make some sort of electronic mark on the radar ID? BTW, I wish normal procedure was for the A/C to change frequency and then wait for ATC to call them which is practically what I do in busy sectors.

2. Where do put a newly assigned altitude or heading or airspeed note for an aircraft? Again -- on a paper strip or somehow on by the radar ID?

3. Do you find it a nuisance when you have given an aircraft a descent at pilot's discretion, he acknowleges it, but then call you back a few minutes later to tell he's leaving the original altitude? Seems like an unnecessary transmission. ( For pilots -- I know what the very outdated AIM says).

4. Do you like getting a call from an aircraft when he enters his assigned holding? Seems redundant since you have radar. (For pilots--again, I know what's in the outdated AIM).

5. Do you find it a nuisance and unnecessary transmission, when, at flight levels, you call out traffic and after the initial response, sometime later the pilot makes a transmission that he has the traffic in sight? I understand the purpose of you calling out traffic at the flight levels is so pilots won't get startled or to re-enforce an altitude assignment if climbing or descending.

No. I was asking what ATC controllers thought about certain AIM mandated calls. The few I have heard from in another forum seem to think much in the AIM is very outdated and in need of a re-write.

does it annoy you when people follow the aim?

Mach 80 has asked some good questions that others like me would like to know, so shut the f up please!

Just look at the planes you fly and your experience and then look at his and mine. Apparently you don't fly in the airline business and know where he's coming from with his questions. I do!

Do you think you know everything at 1500 hours Wonder Boy? You're still wet behind the ears son.

Last edited:
now look at the planes i fly and your expeience vs mine!

You dont know anything at 10,000 hrs wonder boy!

For those that don't know, Calloway's profile said he had 1500 hrs and flew acouple of light twins before he changed his profile today. Nice try!

So Mesaba didn't hire you I understand? Did you ever get hired by Pinnacle? I know that's you where you wanted to go.

For those that don't know, Calloway's profile said he had 1500 hrs and flew acouple of light twins before he changed his profile today. Nice try!

So Mesaba didn't hire you I understand? Did you ever get hired by Pinnacle? I know that's you where you wanted to go.

lmao

my point is that you can put anything in your status so to say i am just a light twin driver is simply not accurate

and thanks for researching all my posts, get a life!

great thread, guys :rolleyes: I'm sure the childish arguing really makes someone want to contribute.

In my opinion, you should always check in. If you don't check in and you wait to be called, how do you know you got a good (or the right) freq?

Starting a PD descent is a required call, why would a controller be annoyed? It helps him!

Entering holding is a required call, why would a controller not appreciate the help?

Traffic calls are traffic calls, pilots should respond to them when controllers issue them. If a pilot has the traffic in sight, he should tell the controller, regardless of altitude, there are separation rules the controller can use if a plane sees the other one, so it might be worth the pilots while to report it.

>>>Starting a PD descent is a required call, why would a controller be annoyed? It helps him!<<<<

Not really. When in very busy airspace with a controller sounding like an actioneer, I KNOW some of them get aggravated with a call out of altitute from a PD clearance. A controller in my jump seat (back when they could do that) told me all he needs or wants is a an acknowlegement of the initial PD clearance and didn't need nor want the later extra radio call which sometimes blocked some other transmission or interrupted a ground coordination call with another controller creating more time wasted and confusion. What help is it to him to tell him something he already knows which is that he has cleared the airspace for his discretionary descent?

>>>Entering holding is a required call, why would a controller not appreciate the help?<<<

Again, a controller told me it's essentially not help when he's busy with lots of other things, including coordinating with other controllers, and can plainly see on his radar that you have entered holding and your radio call simply adds to radio congestion and "clutter".

Both these controllers worked in very busy NE sectors. An approach controler in Wichita, KS might have another opinion.

Latest resources

Back