• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question on A.I.M. procedure;

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you also ask your rightseater to sugar your coffee while he makes altitude reports to ATC?

We'll I think we all knew it couldn't last too long; 29 posts of informative and professional discussion.

Thanks for brining us back to the FI Universe jeroom.

We'll I think we all knew it couldn't last too long; 29 posts of informative and professional discussion.

Thanks for brining us back to the FI Universe jeroom.

You are welcome!! I am glad I was there at the right time...

Nice avatar by the way!! Keep up the good job there!

Last edited:
Talk about wrapped around the axle. If your report to ATC is clear and unambiguous, then there is no problem. Slang sometimes does confuse the issue but so does uneccessary chatter congesting a busy frequency. Keep it short & to the point with only the necessary info. ATC doesn't care what previous altitude your leaving they only care if you read back the correct new assigned altitude.

Talk about wrapped around the axle. If your report to ATC is clear and unambiguous, then there is no problem. Slang sometimes does confuse the issue but so does uneccessary chatter congesting a busy frequency. Keep it short & to the point with only the necessary info. ATC doesn't care what previous altitude your leaving they only care if you read back the correct new assigned altitude.

I guess I should amend that a bit. When you are given a decent at your discretion then it is prudent to report initiating your descent. "Leaving XX for XX.

There are times (single pilot) when you get an altitude change and you can't make the power/pitch change at the same moment you read back the order, so a call that you are actually leaving is appropriate. This comes up more in training than anywhere else, but is still applicable in every day flying. Sure, if you are on top of it and start your climb/descent as you are reading back, say "leaving", but if you need a few seconds to make the change, don't say "leaving" when you havn't, and report it when you do.

While this comment might be in all terms technically correct, it is one of the most impractical suggestions in this forum. Try this the next time you are in the new york tracon area on a busy afternoon. He will tell you to shut up and speak when spoken to. No one cares if it takes you three seconds after the given clearance to pull those tricky leavers back and point that single pilot ship down hill.

How about dropping the "to" and "for"

airliner xxx, "two one zero four three three zero".
airliner XX, "two one zero climbing three three zero".

and

bugsmasher xx: "leaving one four two five thousand".
bugsmasher xx: "one thousand climbing five thousand".

How about dropping the "to" and "for"

airliner xxx, "two one zero four three three zero".
airliner XX, "two one zero climbing three three zero".

and

bugsmasher xx: "leaving one four two five thousand".
bugsmasher xx: "one thousand climbing five thousand".

Because it sounds jumbled and doesn't follow normal speech patterns.

Latest resources

Back