Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That being said when east pilots who are still there are asked

"why didn't you move on to another company?"

their response is that they didn't want to start over at the bottom.

this implies two things-- 1-that their topped out LONGEVITY pay IS valuable- which nothing about the nic award says goes away when the lists merge.

2- they fail to realize that it DOESN'T MATTER how many years you've been there-- if you're on the bottom of the list-- IN EVERY OTHER WAY EXCEPT PAY, YOU ALREADY HAVE STARTED OVER AT THE BOTTOM.

all the east guys had the choice to go to any number of places when the bottom fell out of their airline. And many of them did. LONGEVITY only accounts for pay. The nic award isn't unfair- it simply points out that USAir pilots have been unlucky in the airline business as we have set it up. That shouldn't be financed by the AWA pilots.

If ALPA won't do a national list-- here's not as good solution #2- Get rid of Longevity pay, get rid of first year pay..... Every airline's pilots would gain leverage if we all knew that we didn't have to back to poverty wages if we changed companies.

The nic award was fair- UNDER the currently INSANE seniority system that we have. Now the east confuse LONGEVITY w/ SENIORITY and.......

Right. 2004 with three years is senior to 1985 with 22 years. Sure, that's fair. No fence required.

Watching all you boys post to yourselves in this thread really shows just how much you don't get it. I really like how every airline pilot wife is now some money hungry, vacation hungry slave driver who is somehow in the driver's seat. Hey man, I've lived in AZ, but that's not how we did it when I was there. Grow a pair, and while you're at it realize that there are two very pertinent sides to this battle. The thinking that we should just accept the reverse windfall and let ALPA try to get us a raise is so utterly stupid and shortsighted.....it reeks of newbie, naive thinking, or perhaps it's the result of standing there with a lottery ticket that you can't cash. Either way, you're in the minority out there, so we'll have to see how it goes.

Either way, and back to the topic, ALPA sucks donkey, and those who are scared to go it alone are a bunch of pu$$ies. Few on the East would be stupid enough to think there's a big fat raise just a few months down the road. This ain't their first contract, so it's tough to fool them into thinking they are foregoing a big raise that's right behind door #3.

Nic or no Nic, there are about 3000 pilots who are DONE with ALPA.

Last edited:
Right. 2004 with three years is senior to 1985 with 22 years. Sure, that's fair. No fence required.
quote]

You might want to check your facts again BeCareful. I'm one of those 2004 hires and I'm certainly not senior to a 1985 hire. I AM senior to every single pilot that was on furlough with little to no chance of ever being recalled. Right or wrong the Nic award is the result of binding arbitration. You guys signed on the dotted line and now it's time to show a little maturity and honor your committments. For such a senior group you sound like a bunch of whiners...

Either way, and back to the topic, ALPA sucks donkey, and those who are scared to go it alone are a bunch of pu$$ies. Few on the East would be stupid enough to think there's a big fat raise just a few months down the road. This ain't their first contract, so it's tough to fool them into thinking they are foregoing a big raise that's right behind door #3.

I guess you've have never met the US East pilots, they will sell your jr. butt down the river for an empty Styrofoam cup. Prepare yourself...again.

Watching all you boys post to yourselves in this thread really shows just how much you don't get it. I really like how every airline pilot wife is now some money hungry, vacation hungry slave driver who is somehow in the driver's seat. Hey man, I've lived in AZ, but that's not how we did it when I was there. Grow a pair, and while you're at it realize that there are two very pertinent sides to this battle. The thinking that we should just accept the reverse windfall and let ALPA try to get us a raise is so utterly stupid and shortsighted.....it reeks of newbie, naive thinking, or perhaps it's the result of standing there with a lottery ticket that you can't cash. Either way, you're in the minority out there, so we'll have to see how it goes.

I may look young, but I left the commuter I was at as a chief pilot and had plenty of PIC when I came to AWA. After almost four years I'm still on short call reserve and looking to leave. Meanwhile you guys went from liquadation(yes you were about to tank) to upgrades and recalls. Who got the windfall? Don't expect any sympathy from us youngins when you guys refuse to play by the rules.

When they talk of attrition at USAirways it will be coming from the AWA guys looking to escape USAir career disaster ver 3.0 that is on the horizon.

When they talk of attrition at USAirways it will be coming from the AWA guys looking to escape USAir career disaster ver 3.0 that is on the horizon.

Bingo. I just brought home my log book to update it. I'm only about 6 mo. behind, which on reserve means about 10 flights.

I just sold one of my toys for an added cushion. I'll probably stick around long enough to make sure we take the arbitration decision and stick it up the East's arse.

3 yrs next month for me...same situation. Not looking to leave right now, though. Where are trying to go? Anywhere in particular?

Latest resources

Back