Question for TSA guys?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

snap145

im in the july 11 class...I was told 18 people total 6 go to the prop 8 go to the jet and the rest undecided....How does management decifer which aircraft new hires get? Is it total time or past 121....or interview quality? just curious any info here would be greatly appreciated

Nobody can figure that one out. Back when we were hiring a bunch, they put the 2500hr freight dogs in the 41 and the CFI's in the jet. There doesn't seem to be any set formula. If you get the 41, KEEP INTERVIEWING, trust me.

snap145 said:
im in the july 11 class...I was told 18 people total 6 go to the prop 8 go to the jet and the rest undecided....How does management decifer which aircraft new hires get? Is it total time or past 121....or interview quality? just curious any info here would be greatly appreciated

We never did figure that out in our class. The only pattern which weakly held was previous jet experience got you the jet. Very little experience (TSA has a program with Purdue and gets lots of 500 TT types) also gets you the jet. If you were in the middle, or had 135 experience, you got the prop.

Unfortunately, TSA does not tell you what you get until the first week of class. So, if you don't like the assignment, be sure you can go back to your old job. In my class four pilots got the ATR - Trans States version of Siberia. Now the J41 is the declining fleet and serves that role.

POKEY said:
If you get the 41, KEEP INTERVIEWING, trust me.

It's not a bad plane to fly, just terrible schedules and QOL. And, they are supposed to be reducing the fleet to 12 a/c (or less), which means the new guys have a snowballs chance in hell of upgrading (unless they go direct to the left seat of the ERJ). That being said, KEEP INTERVIEWING.

i heard the same thing. i have 135 experience so im probably goin to the prop. anyone know if they make less money (if that's even possible)?

first year pay is the same on both. For what it's worth, the last class was all jet

...First TWO years are all the same payscale.

And what what the heck would "interview quality" help determine?? Like if you're a 'tard you get the J41? Please people, here's a dose of reality for you. THERE IS NO RHYME OR REASON AS TO WHAT EQUIPMENT YOU GET. NONE, ZILCH, NADA. I've heard EVERY possible scenario/reason/scoop and NONE of them are worth a $hit.

As if a CFI should really care about what they give you. IT'S A FREAKING AIRLINE JOB. Does it really matter?

And to those doomsday prophets who swear the 41 is being retired tommorrow...guess how long the ATRs have been "going away"...for over 10 years!

And yes, I was hired into that god-almighty holy grail of all that is regional freaking EMB-145. You should count yourself lucky to fly the 41. Even luckier to be a captain on it.

This rant is through.

aviatornick said:
i heard the same thing. i have 135 experience so im probably goin to the prop. anyone know if they make less money (if that's even possible)?

Oh yes it is possible. The J41 guys low on the seniority list have a very hard time breaking guarantee (except maybe for the busiest three months of the year). Lots of sitting around on reserve waiting for that reduced rest overnight that nets you 1:30 block and 11 hours per diem.

Keep interviewing.

When I hired on it seemed more experienced guys got the jet. Low timers got the 41 (it requires less flight-time to upgrade) but that was just in general. As always there were exceptions. I had fairly high time 3k-ish and 135 exp. and no turbine at all and I got the 145. who knows. To the original poster, whatever you have been told is strictly speculation and hearsay. They could and probably will change it before class starts. And they've been known to change it even after they announce it. I have a 41 guy in my pad and yes, QOL is definitely better on the jet unless you live in STL. The pay is the same for the first 2 years though, except that the jet lines are in the 85-90 hour range and the 41's barely make guarantee (74 hrs) Anyways, good luck. I hear Gojets is hiring, too!

Latest resources

Back