Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JoeMerchant

ASA pilot
Can any CHQ pilots shed some light on this qoute from Bedford?

"If we can’t give Delta the larger jets they want, at competitive cost, because our labor agreements do not provide such flexibility, then Delta will be forced to reject our existing small jet business (39 jets) and give it to a carrier like Mesa or Skywest which can accommodate their cash needs, and their jets for jobs, larger regional jet outsourcing requirements. When you consider this possibility, jets for jobs is no longer about growing our business and creating new job opportunities for our employees, it is now about protecting our current employees, especially our people in Florida. "

JoeMerchant said:
Can any CHQ pilots shed some light on this qoute from Bedford?

"If we can’t give Delta the larger jets they want, at competitive cost, because our labor agreements do not provide such flexibility, then Delta will be forced to reject our existing small jet business (39 jets) and give it to a carrier like Mesa or Skywest which can accommodate their cash needs, and their jets for jobs, larger regional jet outsourcing requirements. When you consider this possibility, jets for jobs is no longer about growing our business and creating new job opportunities for our employees, it is now about protecting our current employees, especially our people in Florida. "

Jet's for jobs? Isn't that like giving furloughed pilots jobs? I thought CHQ may have done that in the past, and maybe they offer that now on the E170s for DL? Hmmm. That sure is nice of them, I guess....

Bye Bye--General Lee

We think he's blowin' smoke to try and get some concessions, and that it largely has to do with MidAtlantic.

I would venture to guess it has something to do with the MDA thing also.

And on the J4J thing: J4J is not what it was intended to be. In these times where furloughs may last the rest of your career, read no returning to mainline, a J4J position at the bottom forever is just not good IMHO. Its more the reason that we need a "national" senority list or "one list". If the industry need 50000 part 121 pilots then the top 50000 bid for whatever they want and DOH determines what they can hold. I shrugged my shoulders at this befor but am warming up to it as we go along. I think it could be a solution to alot of our career problems.

sleddriver77 said:
We think he's blowin' smoke to try and get some concessions, and that it largely has to do with MidAtlantic.

Sleddriver or anyother CHQ pilot,
Any chance you could post the entire letter, or PM it to me.

Thanks,
Joe

LearLove said:
I would venture to guess it has something to do with the MDA thing also.

And on the J4J thing: J4J is not what it was intended to be. In these times where furloughs may last the rest of your career, read no returning to mainline, a J4J position at the bottom forever is just not good IMHO. Its more the reason that we need a "national" senority list or "one list". If the industry need 50000 part 121 pilots then the top 50000 bid for whatever they want and DOH determines what they can hold. I shrugged my shoulders at this befor but am warming up to it as we go along. I think it could be a solution to alot of our career problems.

LearLove,
J4Js is nothing more than a tiny bandaid on a gushing wound. I take it you were a wholly owned (PDT or ALG) pilot who fell for the "flow through" to MidAtlantic. Once again, ALPA dropped the ball on the whole J4J and MidAtlantic fiasco. When will we learn? While many may not like the RJDC, they were dead right about J4J.

http://www.rjdefense.com/2004/J4J_FactSheet.pdf
http://www.rjdefense.com/2004/020104up.pdf
http://www.rjdefense.com/2004/040404Update.pdf

JoeMerchant said:
LearLove,
J4Js is nothing more than a tiny bandaid on a gushing wound. I take it you were a wholly owned (PDT or ALG) pilot who fell for the "flow through" to MidAtlantic. Once again, ALPA dropped the ball on the whole J4J and MidAtlantic fiasco. When will we learn? While many may not like the RJDC, they were dead right about J4J.

http://www.rjdefense.com/2004/J4J_FactSheet.pdf
http://www.rjdefense.com/2004/020104up.pdf
http://www.rjdefense.com/2004/040404Update.pdf

I wouldn't say I "fell" for anything at MDA.

At this time last year I was downgraded and looking at around 180 out of 300 or so on the ALG senority list with the future looking like 16 or 18 dashes left at ALG. That would have put me at the bottom of the list if not one of the last furloughed as we were not sure what would happen with the PDT thing. Also when (and if back then) the merger took place and was DOH I may have been able to reupgrade or a sen FO but then in short order PDT was set to return dashs at the end of 2005 so would have been right back in the same position.

The MDA thing came down the hatch and they were getting 85 170's and when you did the math at worst I'd be somewhere in the middle of the FO list by this time. But alas, I finish training in sept 2004 and bang, CH11, we (MDA) stop deliveries and PDT/ALG get to keep the Dash8s they were set to return.

Had I stayed i'd be a line hold CA at PDT. There is nothing I can do about it now, at the time (June 2004) I gathered all the info I could, weighed my choices and made the best decision based on the given info that I could. Unfortuniatly it was "swing-and-a-miss" number 2 in my career so far (my decision to turn down airtran in 2001 being the first).

anyone waiting for E190's at CHQ/REP/S5 may have a long wait. I don't think the J4J deal for those aircraft are going to fly unless the company agrees to correct some current problems first. The pilots at CHQ/REP/S5 are tired of the abuse and refuse to jump for the "shiny new airplane" ploy. BB is already rattling his saber to make the pilots look like the scapegoat for not getting E190's. Or, it is simply the same ploy used when he said, "Pilots ruined the deal for United flying".

Just wish we didn't have to deal with the E190's. They should be mainline aircraft!

I agree with Old Man...most of the pilots here recognize the memo as a preemptive threat. It has been done at CHQ/REP before, and the group is tired of biting at it just so they have another contract to violate at their will.

Our union reps are working on these issues, so we'll see how it develops.

LearLove said:
I wouldn't say I "fell" for anything at MDA.

At this time last year I was downgraded and looking at around 180 out of 300 or so on the ALG senority list with the future looking like 16 or 18 dashes left at ALG. That would have put me at the bottom of the list if not one of the last furloughed as we were not sure what would happen with the PDT thing. Also when (and if back then) the merger took place and was DOH I may have been able to reupgrade or a sen FO but then in short order PDT was set to return dashs at the end of 2005 so would have been right back in the same position.

The MDA thing came down the hatch and they were getting 85 170's and when you did the math at worst I'd be somewhere in the middle of the FO list by this time. But alas, I finish training in sept 2004 and bang, CH11, we (MDA) stop deliveries and PDT/ALG get to keep the Dash8s they were set to return.

Had I stayed i'd be a line hold CA at PDT. There is nothing I can do about it now, at the time (June 2004) I gathered all the info I could, weighed my choices and made the best decision based on the given info that I could. Unfortuniatly it was "swing-and-a-miss" number 2 in my career so far (my decision to turn down airtran in 2001 being the first).

Lear,

Since you chose to go to MDA, is there any possibility of returning to PDT/ALG in the future? Just curious as to what the original offer was.

-Jack

Latest resources

Back