Question for the AA Guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ERfly

Sorry to sound like an Airliners.net dork, but I have been wondering the last few times I've jumpseated, is it AA Policy for the captain to do all the PA announcements (including the takeoff and landing pa's)?

It just seems kind of odd that the F/O doesn't do any.

I wish it was like that at XJT, i don't like doing PAs. It would be goodtoobecause the captain should be the one that decides when to turn the seatbelsign on/off,and then let them know.

Yep, the Captain does everything except the "F/As prepare for arrival and crosscheck" on a normal flight. I've made PA's when someone I know was in back, or if the Captain was letting me "prepare" for upgrade. :rolleyes:

I'm no longer an AA guy, so things might have changed, but I doubt it!

ERfly said:
Sorry to sound like an Airliners.net dork, but I have been wondering the last few times I've jumpseated, is it AA Policy for the captain to do all the PA announcements (including the takeoff and landing pa's)?

It just seems kind of odd that the F/O doesn't do any.
If you feel that you have spent an exhorbitant amount of money on a "Mr. Microphone" only to feel left out in the cold...just let me know what FM channel you have that thing tuned to and I promise I'll listen up when you are MC of the hood.

Ooops, sorry, I didn't see the "AA guys" request in your post. I assumed that since American Airlines served me one of those stupid "bistro" lunches on a flight 8 years ago, that that gave me latitude to reply...never mind.

OK I'll bite. It's at the captain's total discretion. When asked if I want to make my own PA's on my leg, I'll usually say "not unless you force me to." I'd say 20% offer, and I couldn't care less either way. If for some odd reason I wanted to, and asked, I'd say 98% would say "go for it."

Some guys dig working the captive audience... not me.

I've only seen the captains do the PAs, 'cept for the gate arrival PA as previously mentioned.

It gives the FOs only one chance per flight to practice their best Captain Voice, and some of them really go overboard with that!

It depends where you are based. I am in STL with all the GREAT TWA pilots! They usually have us do it on our leg, which is fine. Is I mentioned before they tend to keep the FOs involved and in the loop a lot better than some of the other bases.

However like Swede said, if you really wanted to talk on the PA, I am sure 98% of the captains at any base would let you talk it up.

AA

EagleRJ said:
I've only seen the captains do the PAs, 'cept for the gate arrival PA as previously mentioned.

It gives the FOs only one chance per flight to practice their best Captain Voice, and some of them really go overboard with that!
It's also great fun taxiing at DFW listening to the Captain give the "prepare for takeoff" PA over tower frequency. Nothing like trying to taxi the airplane, switch the audio panel, make the PA, switch back to tower, all while the FO is doing.....nothing! Excellent use of resources.

I swear, I have heard more PAs over tower freq. at DFW than at any other airport. The one or two times I have heard it at other airports, AA is almost always the offender.

LAXSaabdude.

While the FO does almost nothing, ha ha, you have obviously never been in the right seat of a MD-80.

AA :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back