Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hollywood82

Hi All,

Getting the itch to go to the airlines, and am unfamiliar with the 121 world. I have a few questions maybe some of you could answer.

1. I fly UPS freight, Metroliner, single pilot. Will the airlines look down on not having any 121, or CRM experience?

2. Will working for certain airlines (such as Go Jets) hurt my chances for employment at other airlines down the road? If so, what regionals should be avoided?

3. At 3K total and 1000PIC turbin do I have a good chance of bypassing the regionals?

4. I know first year pay is really bad. How much can someone plan on making with per diem, and how easy is it to pick up extra flights?

5. Are airlines as bad as some people on here make them sound? Can't be any worse than flying single pilot freight in the ND winter in a 20 year old Metro with no A/P.

Based on what I already know I am leaning toward Skywest, Air Wisconsin, or Comair. If they would hire me, that is.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Hi All,

Getting the itch to go to the airlines, and am unfamiliar with the 121 world. I have a few questions maybe some of you could answer.

1. I fly UPS freight, Metroliner, single pilot. Will the airlines look down on not having any 121, or CRM experience?

2. Will working for certain airlines (such as Go Jets) hurt my chances for employment at other airlines down the road? If so, what regionals should be avoided?

3. At 3K total and 1000PIC turbin do I have a good chance of bypassing the regionals?

4. I know first year pay is really bad. How much can someone plan on making with per diem, and how easy is it to pick up extra flights?

5. Are airlines as bad as some people on here make them sound? Can't be any worse than flying single pilot freight in the ND winter in a 20 year old Metro with no A/P.

Based on what I already know I am leaning toward Skywest, Air Wisconsin, or Comair. If they would hire me, that is.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

1. Nope, shouldn't. Although it has been seen that sometimes 135 single pilot guys have more trouble than 600 hr CFI's.

2. Sadly, probably no. If you go to GOJets, maybe, just maybe, 4-6 years dwon the road you are interviewing at (insert airline here) and the guy across the desk from you flew at Trans-States, or actaully has a clue about the regionals. Don't count on him giving you a thumbs up for hire. My 2 cents, don't go to GOJets and try to avoid MESA if you can. MESA because they have terrible work rules and shabby managment, which doessn't really seprerate them from some other companies.

3.Maybe, do you know anybody at SW/FedEx/UPS/JetBlue/Frontier/Airtran/
Continental? It's not all that common, but it DOES happen to make that jump.

4.Depends on where you go. If you were employed the full year, probably between 18,000 on the low and 28,000 on the high. Just a guess.

Like has been posted before, try to get atleast the minum PIC required to fill out any and all applications. However, having the PIC as well as some crew/121/glass jet time will make you slighty more marketable. It all still boils down to timing, and more importantly, WHO you know.

After working for 2 regionals, of the 3 you listed, I'd take AWAC over COMAIR and SkyWest. All good companies, just a personal choice.

XJET isn't too bad either.

Last edited:
I agree with dojet, but if you want to live in the west SKW is the way to go.

I will re-emphasize that you will need to know someone to go to the majors from where you are now. Some regional RJ time (even in the right seat) might round out the glass/jet/121 part of your resume to get an interview on your own merits. I would try to get 1300 PIC before leaving, so you qualify for SWA.

don't leave a turbine PIC job until you have at LEAST 1300, but preferably more like 2000. "Bypassing the regionals" is not too likely with just the bare mins to apply to the majors. You need to get competitive on PIC Turbine before you leave, which means more than 1000.

It depends on what you mean by "really bad". My advice, if you have any debt, is to start paying off/unloading as much of it as you can. Once you accomplish that I would start saving as much as possible, because you may have to dip into it when you get hired. The less expenses you have, the easier the survival on first year pay.

As far as per-diem and picking up extra flights, I don't think that question can be adequately addressed - depends on the carrier, staffing, and what flights are available to pick up. Best case is to budget yourself based strictly on your guarantee only. That way, any additional money you might earn will be gravy.

Thanks for the good info guys. I do have a long lost uncle that works for Southwest, I'm only related to him through marrige, and would feel uncomfortable asking him for help. I do want to stay in the midwest, I prefere ND, and I know Skywest services Bismarck and Fargo. Air Wisconsin flies out of Fargo as well. The only other airlines I know of that fly into ND are NWA, Pinnacle, Mesaba, and Great Lakes. I don't know much about Pinnacle, but it seems where there is red paint there are problems. NWA and Mesaba are out of the question due to some obvious financial problems. And Great Lakes wouldn't pay me enough to put gas in my car.

How difficult would it be to commute from ND for Express Jet or Comair?

Last edited:
Good posts, just to add what I think. There have been some pilots going from 135 into a major, Airnet comes to mind. If you know somebody you have a good chance, but it seems you have some things that they might look down on. One, no 121. I have flown both and depending on the company, I felt like I learned more, worked harder, and made more decisions flying 135. I really don't see why 121 is looked better upon. Two, you said it, single pilot flying, they like to see that you have worked in a crew environment. CRM is big to them!! Third, turboprop time. Depending on where you want to go, some of the big boys (my thoughts and what I have heard) look down on turboprop time (that is all I have). I agree you should stay until at least 1,300 pic turbine, but I think unless you have a really good hook up somewhere you are going to have a hard time.

I know this question has been beaten to death, but FWIW, in my newhire class at SWA, out of the 20 of us, there were 2 civilians with zero jet time. I think most majors would much rather see 2500 PIC in a turbo prop than 1000 PIC turboprop and 1500 SIC in an RJ.

I know this question has been beaten to death, but FWIW, in my newhire class at SWA, out of the 20 of us, there were 2 civilians with zero jet time. I think most majors would much rather see 2500 PIC in a turbo prop than 1000 PIC turboprop and 1500 SIC in an RJ.

In other words I have a LONG way to go. Perhaps going to a regional now and sitting there for 3 or 4 years is the best option.

Latest resources

Back