• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for the 121 guys.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Look at the t-prop regionals that are either hiring Capt.’s off the street, or have upgrade times of less than one year. You will make about the same money and fly better equipment on a better schedule, and get the two-man cockpit CRM. It is 121 time and it will allow you to make the next move.

Look at the t-prop regionals that are either hiring Capt.’s off the street, or have upgrade times of less than one year. You will make about the same money and fly better equipment on a better schedule, and get the two-man cockpit CRM. It is 121 time and it will allow you to make the next move.

I think Bigsky is hiring street captains. I would be forced to take a 50% pay cut and I don't know if 121 captain in a BE1900 is much better than PIC single pilot 135 in a Metro III. I can live with the pay cut, I guess, but wouldn't it be better to go to a regional that has RJs and work my way up for a few years, then try for the Gold (SWA).

I think Bigsky is hiring street captains. I would be forced to take a 50% pay cut and I don't know if 121 captain in a BE1900 is much better than PIC single pilot 135 in a Metro III. I can live with the pay cut, I guess, but wouldn't it be better to go to a regional that has RJs and work my way up for a few years, then try for the Gold (SWA).

While some folks are going to jump up and down screaming that turboprop time is just as good as jet time, the reality is majors fly jets and glass jet experience demonstrates trainability on that stuff. You already have t-prop time, if you're going to do 121 to check that box, you might as well check check the glass / jet boxes too.

If SWA airlines is your goal, they certainly have a history of hiring t-prop guys, but you may also want to keep your options as open as possible.

With your qualifications you could be in the left seat of EMB-120 in less than a year at SkyWest.

121 PIC time in a turbine airplane with a two man crew is very good resume stuff. Much better than any SIC time or 135 Single Pilot time. I would believe it is even better than 91 PIC time.

With your qualifications you could be in the left seat of EMB-120 in less than a year at SkyWest.

This may seem like a stupid question, but how competitive is the hiring at Skywest? I don't have a college degree. Will this be a problem with Skywest, or any other airlines? I noticed on the SWA website a 4 year degree was prefered.

Again, thankyou, all of you, for the great advice and info.

Hollywood

if you dont have a degree the coveted jobs are pretty much unattainable. they dont care what the degree is in and even though it is a blue collar job without the paper the best jobs just arent possible.

SWA perferred, but around 7% of the SWA new hires do not have 4 yr degrees. Source Air Inc

Put you're application in at SkyWest and you'll probably get a call soon after the new year.

Latest resources

Back