Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for Republic/Chautauqua dispatch...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bgaviator

I have a good friend who is struggling with Chautauqua's comp check. He has shown me questions they are asking him on this comp check, and I am left scratching my head. I'm a damn good dispatcher, but for the life of me I don't know why these kinds of questions that are being asked of him on the comp check are even relevant to the job? I have been through a few different comp checks at different airlines, and I have never heard of a comp check like this!
A lot of the questions seem to be of aircraft systems....and of specific systems at that which have no relevance to how a dispatcher would perform their daily job. Questions that would be more appropriate for say an open book test at the end of ground school, but certainly not a comp check. A comp check should be just that, a check to see if you are competent at performing the job of dispatching by yourself.

I am just kind of curious, but can you give an example of a type of question? You dont have to give the exact one but something as an example.

In my previous comp checks, systems were mentioned but usually only relevant ones and nothing to in depth to what you would see on an A&P, or AC Systems test.

Speaking of systems and comp checks, as a joke at my new job I had my initial new hire desk check and on the very first question in the morning they said to look up the serial number of the tires used on the main gear and its corresponding tire pressure limit. I looked at them with a little bit of shock and scratched my head. After about 15-20 minutes searching nervously though all kinds of system manuals and everything I was stumped. Then it just popped in my head to give MXC a call and they ended up giving me all the info. The guys in the office just laughed and said they do this to all their new hires. Hazing the new guy. They told me "good job" for calling MXC for the info.

Last edited:
...and, with that, you have unintentionally thrown your buddy under the bus for, at best, a good teasing and, at worst, a call to the bosses office because his/her capabilities (or, lack thereof) are now in question on a public forum.

If Chautauqua deems knowledge of specific aircraft systems to be necessary for a dispatcher under their employ, then so be it. They likely have had some instance in their history that has proven that the knowledge of said information is important for the dispatchers in their operation. Questioning their competency checks on FlightInfo isn't likely going to change the way they do it.

not my intention to chuck anyone under a buss....just trying to figure out why their comp check is so much more strict than that of other's my friend and I have experienced. Fine, how do I delete? I see no option like that.

In the 19 years I have been dispatching systems have always been taught. They are taught and required by the FAA, and it is so a professional dispatcher will have an idea if the flight calls in with an issue with a system where to go to and what to do

I think I know who you are talking about here, and maybe if this person did not come in with a chip on their shoulder, and tell their desk trainers when asked to build a simple route utilizing High Altitude Enroute chart, "that it is BS". Stop texting, worrying about how they are going to commute home..and take notes when being trained..they would not be having issues

Also might want your friend to brush up on NOTAMS...which is why he failed his first comp check

Also when assigned his initial jumpseat ride do not use some lame excuse like I lost my form with my times...we think he never did it

BTW I have showed this to all the dispatchers in the office, so your friend is going to have a good ole time if and when he gets signed off

Tell him to grow up, study and do his damn job..we do not have time to babysit a so called professional dispatcher (term used very loosely in his case)

Last edited:
Typical aircraft question...BOW of the EMB. MAX Takeoff Weight/Landing weight

How is the landing gear operated?

How many FADECS are on the aircraft?

What is the MAX altitude for APU start

And yes this posting was sent to the Dispatch trainer and Dispatch Manager

I am tired of these lazy novice dispatchers who want the world but not willing to work for it

I have a good friend who is struggling with Chautauqua's comp check. He has shown me questions they are asking him on this comp check, and I am left scratching my head. I'm a damn good dispatcher, but for the life of me I don't know why these kinds of questions that are being asked of him on the comp check are even relevant to the job? I have been through a few different comp checks at different airlines, and I have never heard of a comp check like this!
A lot of the questions seem to be of aircraft systems....and of specific systems at that which have no relevance to how a dispatcher would perform their daily job. Questions that would be more appropriate for say an open book test at the end of ground school, but certainly not a comp check. A comp check should be just that, a check to see if you are competent at performing the job of dispatching by yourself.

"Damn good dispatcher"? Jeez, you are a tool. And why is it that you've worked at a few different airlines? Can't hold a job?
I do appreciate that you told everyone at Chiquita that your friend is not smartest on the block.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Tool.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...

Our little corner of the industry is a very small world. If you're not careful with your words, be it lack of humility or an overzealous need to prove others wrong, permanent damage can be done.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back