• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for Netjet pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK. So we all understand that you guys like Net Jets; But WHY?

Do you have to load bags? Is that a pain?
Do many of the passengers smoke? Is it bad in the cockpit?
Are many of the passengers a-holes to you?
Is there a lot of sitting around FBO's?
Do they dead head you around on airlines as well as dead heading Net jet flights? How much of each?
Do the reserves sit much or do they fly all the time?
Is there a call out preference for reserves?
What is the call out time for reserves?
Do you do reserve at home?
I can figure out what basic pay is, but is there much overtime and can junior pilots get any?

I know that is a lot of questions, but I've applied and want to go into the process with both eyes open and my brain informed.

Thanks.

Do you have to load bags?Yes Is that a pain?No, on occasion there are alot of bags. But we get reimbursed for our efforts..
Do many of the passengers smoke?I have had one guy ask for an ashtray for a cigar. Don't recall if he used it Is it bad in the cockpit? If I can't recall if he smoked then it must not have been too bad.
Are many of the passengers a-holes to you?Not one yet, some ask if you ned anything from the galley during flight, some are really social and some are there on business.
Is there a lot of sitting around FBO's? Not in my fleet, but 99% of FBO's have a huge flatscreen, lounge chairs, and computer access. Plus it gives me time to enjoy my teriyaki chicken stir fry.
Do they dead head you around on airlines as well as dead heading Net jet flights?First and last day are airlines for me. On occasion we may get a mid-tour ailine. Haven't had to deadhead on a NJ aircraft yet How much of each?twice a tour going to and from work
Do the reserves sit much or do they fly all the time?there are no true reserves. This isn't an airline.It's called a reserve schedule because the company has more flexibility with your monthly schedule. Within limits of the contract of course.
Is there a call out preference for reserves? There are no call outs. Again not an airline.
What is the call out time for reserves?See above.
Do you do reserve at home?depends where you live. PBI or LAX or TEB maybe. Not so much where I'm from.
I can figure out what basic pay is, but is there much overtime ?I'm already at 10+% for the year. My base is 69,188 and I'm uaranteed approx. 78K for the year if I don't get any more overtime. (which is not gonna happen). PS. thats first year pay on the 18 day schedule, with maybe one or two extended days.
and can junior pilots get any?This isn't an airline where you bid for trips etc.. the only real thing seniority is good for is PIC, vacation, and bidding your 7/7 schedule. I am very junior, and bid the 18 day schedule for the $$. I haven't had one schedule preference not granted yet. Fly your day and the overtime will just accumulate.

Looks like CRJFlyer beat me to it, but here is my take.

OK. So we all understand that you guys like Net Jets; But WHY?

Do you have to load bags? Is that a pain? It's very rarely a big deal at all...we usually only have a few business people on board each with a small overnight bag. On the rare occasion you get the family of 8 moving to their summer house, then just tip the line guys to load the bags for you and the company will reimburse you.

Do many of the passengers smoke? Is it bad in the cockpit? I've been with NetJets for a year and have only had one guy smoke one cigarette on board.

Are many of the passengers a-holes to you? 95% of the pax are very polite and courteous. The other 5% typically aren't really even rude, but maybe just in a hurry and ready to go. I haven't had any real personality conflicts yet.

Is there a lot of sitting around FBO's?
Depends on how busy the fleet is and what time of the year it is. Keep in mind that if you sit around the FBO, then it's not like sitting around at an airline terminal. You normally have a crew lounge with recliners, big screen tv, wireless internet, crew food, beverages, etc. It's not that bad.

Do they dead head you around on airlines as well as dead heading Net jet flights? How much of each? Most crew movement is on airlines. If it's close enough they'll get you a rental car, sedan service, or taxi. I've ridden on a NetJets ferry flight 4 times in a year and 2 of those were when I was scheduled to airline and found that there was a ferry flight going on the same route at the same time. It's pretty rare, though.

Do the reserves sit much or do they fly all the time? Is there a call out preference for reserves? We don't really have reserve pilots like the 121 world. How much you fly depends on how well-staffed your fleet is.

What is the call out time for reserves? Do you do reserve at home? If you get lucky and they don't have anything for you, then they can put you on duty at residence. This counts as a normal work day, but you just get to stay at home until they find something for you to do. Once they notify you of a flight assignment, you have 30 minutes to leave home. If you live more than 90 miles from your base, you have to let the company know so they can allow for the extra travel time.

I can figure out what basic pay is, but is there much overtime and can junior pilots get any? Depending on how busy your fleet is, the company will ask for volunteers periodically to work extra days. If you volunteer, a new FO will get around $500 for each extra day worked. Also, you get paid overtime for all duty over 12 hours each day. For a new FO, it's $40-$47/hour depending on schedule. In my experience, this averages around $200/tour, but I'm in a busy fleet.

I'm on the 7/7 schedule and so far this year have worked 4 extended days, 5 holidays, and one after-midnight (2 extended days pay). This, combined with OT has resulted in about $8000 over base pay for the year-to-date. Keep in mind I have probably had a lot more OT and extended days than those in a less-busy fleet than the Sovereign, but I just figured I would give you an example.

I know that is a lot of questions, but I've applied and want to go into the process with both eyes open and my brain informed.

Thanks.

Last edited:
And glacier, I know you like your job and all...

But if your life depended on you applying to Mesa you'd be right there with frosted hair, an ipod and a $50 check!

We both know it.

Seriously, fractional flying has been really fun. If I hadn't gotten to corporate flying and NJA, I'd still be at Mesa. If NJA dropped me tomorrow, I'd stay home, trade equities again full time, and be Mr. Dad to my two young boys. NJA is my last bus. I'm getting off the aviation thing if it all goes south. I don't have two shuttle missions and three lunar landings in my logbook to compete with the rest you guys. In fact, I don't think I could get hired at NJA with the new hiring protocol. I know they wouldn't look twice at me in this pilot market. Many more qualified candidates when it comes to flight experience. I will say this, I would consider flight instruction again as a side gig just to keep at home and get a few landings in now and then. You sleep in your own bed every night when you're teaching and trading.

Hi guys,

Just looked on the Airline Pilot Central website and it shows the Netjets page last updated on July 15, 2008 and "hiring stopped."

That's not accurate. It may slow a bit due to sim availability but I don't think it will stop. I can guarantee you if it does stop, it's not due to the economy, but rather sim availability.

Seriously, fractional flying has been really fun. If I hadn't gotten to corporate flying and NJA, I'd still be at Mesa. If NJA dropped me tomorrow, I'd stay home, trade equities again full time, and be Mr. Dad to my two young boys. NJA is my last bus. I'm getting off the aviation thing if it all goes south. I don't have two shuttle missions and three lunar landings in my logbook to compete with the rest you guys. In fact, I don't think I could get hired at NJA with the new hiring protocol. I know they wouldn't look twice at me in this pilot market. Many more qualified candidates when it comes to flight experience. I will say this, I would consider flight instruction again as a side gig just to keep at home and get a few landings in now and then. You sleep in your own bed every night when you're teaching and trading.

Amen brother!

Excellent replies! Muchos gracias.

Sounds like a great job if you can get it. I'm about to be unemployed (Astar/DHL pilot - a whole 'nuther story) and I live in Dayton, so Net Jets is my first choice.

And... last question(s) - I swear!

1. What is the quick breakdown of the different fleet type typical schedules? ie "the X is transcon only 2 legs max; Hawker is East coast many legs per day", etc or are the schedules and types just too all over the place to qualify that way?

and

2. What is the process for moving into the equipment that you want? Assuming all new hires get base aircraft, how long to move into the Falcons or Gulfstreams?

Again, Thanks a million.

Excellent replies! Muchos gracias.

Sounds like a great job if you can get it. I'm about to be unemployed (Astar/DHL pilot - a whole 'nuther story) and I live in Dayton, so Net Jets is my first choice.

And... last question(s) - I swear!

1. What is the quick breakdown of the different fleet type typical schedules? ie "the X is transcon only 2 legs max; Hawker is East coast many legs per day", etc or are the schedules and types just too all over the place to qualify that way?

and

2. What is the process for moving into the equipment that you want? Assuming all new hires get base aircraft, how long to move into the Falcons or Gulfstreams?

Again, Thanks a million.

1. No set schedule. Wherever the owner wants to go. You could do 5 legs one day and sit the next. You could do all east Coast in a X for a tour and go cross country in an Encore...

2. 39 month seat lock, you can upgrade to capt during it, but you take what is remaining on your seat lock with you. Decades.

Latest resources

Back