Question for Navy guys...#1?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Erk183

I'm a new user and I've read a lot here. Here is my question. I plan to apply for an SNA slot to be a pilot in the Navy. ( I'm only a freshman now) Assuming I could get a spot through OCS, it seems that being the #1 guy through the phases of flight training is obviously the sure-fire way to getting the pipeline and airframe you want. I'm curious as to what that takes. Is the number one guy the one the one who works the hardest? (puts the most effort, studies procedures, making sure he is the most prepared he can possibly be given the resources), or is it the guy with natural skill... or most flight experience, kisses the most butt? It would be nice to know that a smart, motivated individual can use determination to get that top spot even if he/she doesnt have a zillion flight hours in the civillian world. Thanks.

Last edited:
Erk183,

Sorry if it sounds like a smart-a$$ answer, but the only way to be #1 is to do better than everyone else who selects that week. How good you have to be depends completely on who you're competing against. Plenty of zero-hour folks have been #1, so it's certainly possible. But experience does usually (but not always) help.

Don't forget that you're going to be competing against a couple dozen other smart, motivated, and determined individuals who are also going to be doing everything they can to get what they want.

Anyway, it may be a little early to be worrying about your class rank when you don't have a flight slot yet. Keep your grades up now, get flight time if you can afford it, and the rest will take care of itself.

Erk 183,

I'm a pilot of average (at best) hand-eye coordination and speed, yet I finished number one in my classes during all major phases of military flight training. All the stuff you mentioned about working hardest doesn't hurt. Prior flight time helps. A good, open attitude with all of my instructors and above average situational awareness were probably the biggest contributors to my success in the program. Good luck!

Craven

Last edited:
What it takes to do well in Navy primary

I train the Navy primary/intermediate SNAs everyday so I can tell you from experience that studying will set you apart from your peers. It's obvious which SNAs have prepared for their briefs/flights and which ones have not. It really makes a difference if you get into the a/c prepared. The harder you work the easier it'll be and the better you will do.

SNAs w/prior flight experience DO NOT always do better than those who have never been at the controls. In fact, many of them will bring bad habits to the table. The T-34C is a lot different and a lot more powerful than anything they have flown. Inorder to offset some of the advantages those SNAs might have the Navy is currently offering (maybe even requiring) that prior to API the SNAs get ~25hours in a Cessna on the Navy's nickel when they get to Pensacola. This should level the playing field a bit.

Anyone who has ever been to flight school in Pensacola or Corpus Christi will tell you that there are a lot of distractions (girls, parties, surfing, more girls and more partying). If you can focus on what you are doing your grades will be fine. There are some factors beyond your control which affect your pipeline like "needs of the Navy." Some weeks there just aren't any slots for E-6, Jets, or P-3s and guys end of selecting E-2/C-2 or Helos. In other words, something they didn't personally want. There were several weeks in September 2002 where EVERY SNA who selected got Helos. It's very random although some folks attribute it to end of FY $$$ issues.

Continue to study hard now to get that pilot slot. See if you can get a WRITTEN contract that gaurantees you that pilot slot after completion of OCS or ROTC. If you don't want to do something else in the Navy you may also want to have it in WRITING that if for some reason you are not physically qualified to fly they will let you out of the deal. Maybe you could then go talk to the AF/Army and see if you meet their minimums if you still wanted to fly for the military.

Best of luck.

I agree with MercuryPilot, study and know the brief items before you brief with your instructor pilot. Stay motivated to learn and show that motivation and it'll be noticed. Navy/Marine/Coast Guard flight training is much different than AF flight training. In the sea services, the instructors expect you to pretty much teach yourselves the academics and they'll teach you what you need to know in the plane if you show you need it, otherwise they're observers in the backseat letting you show your stuff. I've also flown with the AF and their method is different, everything was spoon-fed to you academically.

For now, do well in school and stay sharp, and don't get a darned DUI.

usmc33

Army

Don't forget the Army aviation, we have a bunch of ex-Army guys flying for us and they are all great guys. And roto wing training in advanced helos is great for anything you fly in the future.

Im currently a T-2 instructor. Definitely agree with all the other guys on grades, motivation and staying out of trouble. I did have 250 hours of civilian flight time, and it definitely help me in flight school. There comes a point when all your peers, regardless of your flight time will start catching up with you. This usually happens when you go from props to jets. I initally thought I knew how to fly, but quickly learned there is much more to learn and the training standards were higher since I would be expected to go land a jet on an aircraft carrier solo on the first time. The key, regardless of how many hours you show up with, is to remain trainable, and don't show up thinking you know everything. ATTITUDE plays a key role. TACAIR is the best flying you will ever do.

I agree with Mercury . . .

Having been an instructor also here is my two cents of advice on doing better that 75% of the other SNAs:

1. Show up to the brief prepared. It will set the tone for the rest of the day.

2. Act like you actually want to learn something, not like you already know it all and have to beat me at my own game.

3. Don't tell a former Helo/E-2/P-3 instructor pilot that you are only interested in flying TACAIR and if you don't get jets you will probably DOR and get out of the NAV as soon as possible (Hard to believe, but I 've seen it).

Finally, if you absolutely do not want to fly helos or E-2s, try your best not to finish primary in September.

ERK 183,

I am not a "Navy" guy, but I work for one (a few actually) in the Navy Training Command. I would say everything said about study/prep for flights and the advice from the IPs/former IPs is right on. With that being said having alot of flight time in Primary training is going to help you. Chichi8V8B is right on. I flew a flight with a primary stud who had 1600 hours and he flew like he had 1600 hours. I have also seen cases of 700-1000 hour guys attriting from the strike pipeline. So what I am trying to say is just having a private license and a few hours isn't going to make a difference. Going out and getting a couple hundred will help get you in the Strike pipeline, but not through it.

Send me a PM and I can give you real answers as to why those guys in September get Helos (nothing to do with FY money) as well as any other questions you might have.

The 25 hour civilian training thing is for real and will be in full production by the time you might head to flight school. The primary curriculum is changing as well, pushing back selection to the end of what is now Intermediates for the multi-engine and helo studs. This will further level the playing field for those with and without prior flight time.

As you look at the Navy as your flight option remember that only 20(ish) percent of the "winged" aviators each year are flying TACAIR.
Best of luck, Hope

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back