Question for Navy guys...#1?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What, no more video games?

Stop me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a move within midshipman or aviation training circles to get those middies or ensigns heading off to pilot training to "practice" their flying skills on a computer flight simulator? I heard that because some guy who did well in training attributed his success to MS Flight Sim (or was it Top Gun, the video game?) the Navy went and put some computers in the NROTC battalions specifically for that purpose.

I dunno. A former roommate of mine that was in NROTC told me that a couple of years ago.

Finally, Hope53, you mentioned getting the young sailor-aviators 25 civilian hours before API (?). Is there any talk of paying for 50 hrs and/or a PPL like the AF? Is it in the future, or how does the Navy feel about it?

Just curious.

Last edited:
Abe,
No PPL, just 25 hours with a civilian flight instructor. I've heard various rumors on why just 25 hours vice a PPL like the Air Force but nothing I can confirm.

The flight sim thing is true. It is called MicroSim. These were sim boxes with a huge monitor, stick, rudder pedals, throttles and switches running a modified version of MS Flight Simulator. Pretty cool to play video games on but only kind of useful for students to improve there flying skills. The whole program grew out of control and is now trying to be restructured.

Ahh yes, MicroSims...

Hope53...

As a product of NAS CC (advanced phase), I have seen (at least their version of) the MicroSims. They were part of the building tour on our first day in academics, but I can honestly say I never used them in all my time there.

If only they could combine the MicroSim vis with the 0/0 conditions and motion sense of the Star-Tours--er, T-44 simulator.
Come to think of it, ANY picture to go along with the simulator would be nice.

When I asked one day why the Navy didn't spend the money to put vis into the sims like the AF did on their trainers, the instructor settled into a pleasant 10 minute diatribe on distributing the funding to the 3 parts of his service ("so you've got the guys that go over the water, the guys that go under the water, and the guys that are ON the water...", he said).

Thanks for the reply.

Hey, Patmack!

Good to see you are still alive. Pretty good... still posting during OCS. I went through in 91 (AOCS), won't revisit the old "I had it harder than you" argument. I'm sure it's still no fun, hang in there!

BTW that's a great attitude you've got there, and it will keep you sane. At the end of the day all that matters are the guys around you anyway.

Last edited:
Hang in there,

I still remember those watches as being one of the most depressing periods of my life around 0200! It gets much better.

If you guys want to know more about the program hope is talking about it, I posted it under "IFS"

Sounds like a pretty high butch-factor in your company...it happens. Oh well, get that liberty and go find ya some Seville or Floribama trash.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back