• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for Military Guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think Ronald Reagan started returning military salutes. I don't think the presidents before him did. Anybody remember?

When in civilian clothes during the national anthem or when the flag passes by in a parade, I'm one of the guys with my hand (or hat) over my heart--unless I'm correcting my son again. Entirely appropriate for the president during a ceremony, regardless of whether he should be rendering the military salute at all.

In addition to what was said above, anyone who has been awarded the CMH rates a salute from the President on down. For that reason alone the CIC needs to know how to salute properly, in my opinion.

Not in the Marine Corps. I can't speak for the other services, but it's a big no-no in the Corps.

Marines only salute when covered.....which is why you'll never see them salute indoors unless they are under arms (sword/pistol), in which case they will be covered!

Exactly! Semper Fi!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not in the Marine Corps. I can't speak for the other services, but it's a big no-no in the Corps.

Marines only salute when covered.....which is why you'll never see them salute indoors unless they are under arms (sword/pistol), in which case they will be covered!

I'm curious...what does "being covered" mean?

Just a thought re: presidents saluting as it was never covered in any military etiquette course or manual I ever encountered. Perhaps presidents return salutes because it would be considered a snub not to acknowledge a salute in some manner.

Clinton never served in the military. Perhaps that is why he seldom, if ever, returned a salute. I would hope he at least looked the service member in the eye and nodded his head in acknowledgment. I believe most other recent presidents had prior military service and felt comfortable returning salutes while in office as civilians.

Wearing the appropriate headgear.

GV

Something that most folks forget is that it doesn't have to be military headgear. I know most people wouldn't do it, but if you are covered (wearing a hat, any hat) and it's time to salute, you should salute.

Look it up in your military etiquette book.

does anyone know how/why the salute began?

Here are a few theories:

"The exact origin of this salute has been lost in time. One theory is that it came from Roman soldiers' shading their eyes from the intense light that was supposed to shine from the eyes of their superiors (see emission theory (vision)). Another theory is that it came from when men-at-arms wore armor--a friendly approach would include holding the reins of the horse with the left hand while raising the visor of the helmet with the right, so that one could be recognised. A third theory is that the salute, and the handshake, came from a way of showing that the right hand (the fighting hand) was not concealing a weapon. One romantic legend has it that today’s military salute descended from the medieval knight's gesture of raising his visor to reveal his identity as a courtesy on the approach of a superior. Another even more fantastic version is that it symbolizes a knight's shielding his eyes from the dazzling beauty of some high-born lady sitting in the bleachers of the tournament.
The most widely accepted theory is that it evolved from the practice of men raising their hats in the presence of officers. Tipping one's hat on meeting a social superior was the normal civilian sign of respect at the time [1]. Repeated hat-raising was impractical if heavy helmets were worn, so the gesture was stylised to a mere hand movement.
The naval salute, with the palm downwards, is said to have originated because the palms of naval ratings, particularly deckhands, were often dirty through working with lines. Because it would be insulting to present a dirty palm to an officer, the palm was turned downwards."

Latest resources

Back