Question for Military Guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mercury

I just finished watching the "Laying of the wreath" ceremony which was broadcast live form Arlington and I have a question on military ettiquette.

If the President is the CINC and swears the oath to defend the Constitution, why does he place his hand over his heart instead of saluting the flag during the National Anthem and the presentation of colors?

Just curious.

Because he's a civilian.

I'm not sure I like it when our civilian leadership returns a military salute. I'd think the naval folks would like it less because they're usually uncovered. Opinions?

Thanks BE23, I wasnt trying to be being judgemental, it was just something I've always wonderered about.

He might be a civilian but he's also the commander-in-chief and he'd better be returning salutes. I'm Navy and I have no problem with civilians that rate salutes (not all that many) returning salutes.

I'm sure that somewhere there is some etiquette or regulations about saluting/hand over the heart but not too worried about it frankly. Saluting back when saluted to and hand over the heart for the anthem sounds about right to me.

why does he place his hand over his heart instead of saluting the flag during the National Anthem and the presentation of colors?

Proper etiquette when rendering honors to the flag while in civilian clothes is to salute with the hand over the heart (this includes military personnel when in civilian clothes).

Proper etiquette when rendering honors to the flag while in civilian clothes is to salute with the hand over the heart (this includes military personnel when in civilian clothes).

Thanks Zulu:beer: and a BIG THANK YOU to all who have and are currently serving this great nation.

When the commander and chief came to Memphis. I was rendered a salute and he returned the salute. I believe his salute is a tradition that should be carried forward. I remember President Clinton never saluting when he came off the jet or helo.

C-5

Zulu is correct. Active duty military place their hand over their heart rather than salute during the national anthem.

It is proper for the military person in civilian clothes to return the salute of another miltary member.

The two circumstances are slightly different.

It is proper for the military person in civilian clothes to return the salute of another miltary member.

Not in the Marine Corps. I can't speak for the other services, but it's a big no-no in the Corps.

Marines only salute when covered.....which is why you'll never see them salute indoors unless they are under arms (sword/pistol), in which case they will be covered!

Latest resources

Back