Question for JetBlue guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

717capt

Hey guys I have a question that may or may not have been answered before. Notwithstanding the results of the vote, but why did you guys decide to go with an in house union -vs- going with ALPA or teamsters? In a few weeks we are going to have a vote here at Airtran to possibly vote out the in-house union and go ALPA. Just curious. Thanks.

ALPA doesn't care about the little guy. ALPA will not spend the resources necessary to help our or your pilot to the extent needed. In short the return from your dues does not out weight what they will need to spend.
Don't get me wrong you will get support but not the same level as a legacy carrier. Also, with over four hundred former ALPA pilots on property a vote for ALPA was unlikely.

Despite what Fracster says, the B6 pilots who tried to organize were smart enough to realize there were a LARGE percentage of pilots on the property who were furloughed ALPA pilots.

Those guys generally blame ALPA and not their old Companies for their furlough. As a result, attempting to get ALPA on the property would have resulted in an even greater defeat than JBPA suffered.

It was probably a wise decision due to the unfounded bitterness toward ALPA some B6 pilots feel.

An in-house union would have been the way to go. Representation, in some form however, is imperative. Hopefully, the pilots and Jetblue will have another shot soon.

Hey guys I have a question that may or may not have been answered before. Notwithstanding the results of the vote, but why did you guys decide to go with an in house union -vs- going with ALPA or teamsters? In a few weeks we are going to have a vote here at Airtran to possibly vote out the in-house union and go ALPA. Just curious. Thanks.

I think JB pilots voted for no union at all.

An in-house union would have been the way to go. Representation, in some form however, is imperative. Hopefully, the pilots and Jetblue will have another shot soon.

They will shortly after the President signs the woefully misnamed "Employee Free Choice Act" where you only have to have 50% +1 sign cards instead of a secret ballot election.

"Hey, you want to have a union, don't you? Don't you? C'mon, don't you? Sign right here."

I'm not disputing the issue of whether Jetblue needs a union. Only saying it's a matter of time.

Those guys generally blame ALPA and not their old Companies for their furlough.

I have a stupid question, but how can someone blame their union because the company had to furlough them?

I have a stupid question, but how can someone blame their union because the company had to furlough them?

They blame the union when there is a furlough, and ALPA did nothing to fight it.

Same goes for the pension issues. US Airways gave away the pension, and ALPA allowed them to do it with very little fight or trade off. Suddenly the company was making profits and buying aircraft.

Nobody is blaming the union for action of the company, but rather for rolling over when we needed them the most.

Read Dogwood and there's the answer. He's blaming ALPA National when he should be blaming the AAA MEC. Seems misplaced to me, because National only advises MECs on what they should and/or should not do. National has no power to MAKE an MEC do anything unless their actions are so aggregious that National actually has to come in and take over.

Latest resources

Back