Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for Ex-Indy Air Pilots - How do you like current position?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

I know that Indy Air pilots scattered to other regionals, fractionals, corporate, cargo and LCCs when Independence Air met its untimely demise. I had many friends at Indy and they really enjoyed their time there (until the bitter end). For those pilots who remained in aviation (I am sure a few exited permanently), how would you compare your new position (fractional, corporate, LCC, etc.) to your former Indy position and what do you like/dislike about it relative to Indy? I have heard positives and negatives from a few ex-Indy pilots out there.

I am posting this on a few boards in case ex-Indy pilots don't view this board.

In my April new hire class at Continental there were 3 FlyI guys, all really great guys... They had been through the ringer with the slow painful death of Indy Air, but they were all great guys with great attitudes.

In all reality it seems they did pretty well, the first year is tough but it beats unemployment.

flatspin7 said:
In my April new hire class at Continental there were 3 FlyI guys, all really great guys... They had been through the ringer with the slow painful death of Indy Air, but they were all great guys with great attitudes.

In all reality it seems they did pretty well, the first year is tough but it beats unemployment.

I know a FlyI guy who also got on with Continental - he is quite happy there (no big surprise) despite the low first-year pay. I had heard that a bunch were also hired by JetBlue and Southwest. The fractionals (Netjets and Flexjet) apparently also picked up quite a few. Happy to hear that many have found better opportunities elsewhere. Anyone else out there?

ACA was a great experience and I had alot of fun while I was there(April 99-July 05). There were highs(first Capt. upgrade) and lows(9/11) along the way. I was lucky to get out before Indy went under, but I was sad to see so many of my former co-workers be out on the street. It's a crazy business. I'm with another airline now; flying higher, faster, and farther then ever before, but I will never forget my "first".

Fly

Without any exception, the ACA guys I have flown with or met have been class acts. Not one exception.

Thank you all for the kind words. Independence Air was an unbelievable experience, if I had the opportunity I would do it again.

After we went belly up, our union reps did a good job putting tegether job fairs specifically for our pilots and flight attendants. It seems mostly everyone found other jobs relatively quickly in both corporate and 121 flight departments.

Ditto! ACA was a blast and I had the honor of meeting and working with some of the finest people in the industry. I was there from '98-'00 at the peak of our growth, when CA upgrade to the J32 was almost one year.... great contract by regional airline standards...fun crews and layovers.... what great memories! I was sad to see them go but I know the spirit lives on in the ex ACAers out there. Glad to see so many of us found greener pastures!

If you happen to have an ex ACA/Indy pilot with you in the cockpit, have fun and relax. You can be assured of having a pleasant trip with some good stories. P.S. Ask him/her about the standard "Jetstream greeting" on the ramp!

aa73
Blue Ridger Jun '98-Feb '00

Last edited:
I've met some ex ACA/Indy pilots at AirTran and they seem to be great people with great attitudes and enjoy working for AirTran.

I find most former FLYI pilots I speak with have really fond memories of the place. It is interesting to hear about the differences between their current job and flying for ACA/FLYI.

ACA was far and away the best airline experience I had! Best of luck to all former ACA/flyI pilots.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back