• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for CRJ pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
to you SLOWING THE PLANE WITH THE SPOILERS because you don't care about passenger comfort...

I don't think its the flying public complaining, but more you. Tell me how you know for a fact that the majority of passengers complain about spoilers being deployed in flight? I see more passengers "gasp" when the flaps and gear are extended then I do when spoilers are deployed.

If you dont like it, fine, but don't bring the flying public into something they have no idea about.

I don't think its the flying public complaining, but more you. Tell me how you know for a fact that the majority of passengers complain about spoilers being deployed in flight?

I didn't come here to complain about anything. 777forever asked if anyone is keeping score like figure skating and I offered the opinion that yes, they are.

Does the average passenger know the ride is now bumpy cause the spoilers are up? Of course not. That's not my point. I would think that any professional pilot would strive to make each flight as smooth and comfortable as possible. That leads to the point of this thread.

Who here thinks it's okay to slow from 300 to 200 in level flight with spoilers? (at or above 10,000 for the dim out there) Anyone want to jump on that? If you think that's bad form as well then we have no disagreement here.

Fly safe

I don't know, maybe I'd use something crazy like speed control throughout the approach so I'm not too fast at 5,000' like your scenario presented.

Look, I'm not AGAINST speed brakes, I'm not. I use 'em if I need 'em. I was just saying it looked to me like the OP was talking about slowing in level flight with spoilers and if you are for that then you suck as an aviator. That's not opinion, it's fact.

About to miss a crossing restriction? Fine use them. ATC gives you a crossing restriction that requires spoilers? Say "unable" and take the vector. This is basic stuff folks. If you disagree then you probably have the frosted hair toten a backpack in uniform with an iPod to boot. You are the problem, not me.
The Piaggio has boards?

That's what the white handle is for!!!?!!! I guess on tomorrows flight I'll have to play with it!

Why, after years flying the darned thing do you continue to use the flight SPOILERS to slow the airplane? I'm getting a little tired of seeing it, frankly. I guess they didn't teach the difference between a speedBRAKE and spolier at ATP or Riddle Diddle. Yet you all think you're da bomb.

Flame away, hosers.

Bombardier recently lowered the maximum flap operating speed to 200 knots. Previously it was either 215 or 235 knots, depending on how each operator choose to comply with an AD. In level flight in terminal airspace it can take up to ten miles to slow from 250 to 210 knots if you don't use spoilers. Terminal controllers will yell at you if you take that long. Once you are at 210 knots any further speed reduction will require spoiler use, flap extension is no longer allowed at that speed. In icing conditions it gets even worse. In order to kep the wing warm you must push the power up a good bit. The AC system essentially turns off at idle power so in the summer many pilots simply set the thrust levers to the 'AC on position' and manage everything else with the spoilers. We don't have the option of leaving the power up on #2 like the 72 operators do.

Not to different from Sabreliners of years ago. You haven't seen much have you. :D

That's what the white handle is for!!!?!!! I guess on tomorrows flight I'll have to play with it!

Play with the white handle for too long and baby batter might magically appear from it. :eek:

Oakum has a valid point about spoilers and cabin noise. From now on, I'm calling for the gear down when I need to expedite my decent below 10,000.

Latest resources

Back