Question for CFI's: Students that just dont get it

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cougar-

The background of your student provides more information concerning his predicament. Soloing at 130 hours is a lot, but not if he’s taken a lot of breaks and has flown with different instructors over the course of time. Whenever you’re assigned a new instructor, they inevitably want to see what you can do and will usually prefer you to do things their way. In other words, relearning to adapt to the instructors preferences. It also takes time to adjust to a new instructor too. So a lot of hours are eaten up during this transitional phase. Especially when there are breaks due to his professional life. Learning at 40 doesn’t come as quickly as it does for a younger sponge-like mind. Personally, I wouldn’t give up on this guy yet. Since you are here seeking advice, I presume you still feel he has some hope. If you think that you’re personally making some strides continue with it. Its important that he knows where he stands in his training which, as you stated, he does. If he has the money to burn, and enjoys going out for lessons, keep it up. In terms of him not recalling procedures from one lesson to the next, that may either be psychological or biological. If he is somewhat a little apprehensive or scared, he won’t be learning or processing information in a normal way. Fear gets in the way of learning. Is he confident with his flying? There may be psychological reasons for his inability to perform maneuvers. Maybe he’s trying to stave off solo. If it were biological, maybe he has some sort of memory retention difficulty or is on some medications you may not be aware of. Then again, it just might be that he’s not cut out for being a pilot. It does sound like he isn’t seeing what the aircraft is doing. Maybe you could suggest one of those video courses to aid him, like the King series. I hear they are boring but they may get through to him. One word of advice, don’t be lenient on this guy. If he’s not safe don’t sign him off for solo or anything else that might jeopardize his life and quite possibly others. Flying, as fun as it is can be dangerous if not managed properly.

Greetings,
I had encountered three clients that seemed to take longer than most to break through learning blocks. On one guy, we finally pinpointed the problem to the hours the guy was working. He had a job that just beat the stuffing outta him leaving him quite fatigued. I stopped his 'every night after work' lessons and flew with him twice on each day of his weekend. It took two weekends for him to stop playing catch up (four flight lessons, two ground sessions during lunch), and to start progressing again.

Then he came to the checkride. It took four tries and countless training flights with the DPE and me for him to pass. The examiner would step on board the airplane and the poor guy would forget his own name.

The challenging clients do happen. The only question is can you continue to work with them and help them achieve the success they desire?

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

If the guy has 220 hrs and doesn't have the private yet, he probably already knows he's not picking it up as quickly as everyone else. It's possible he's content with not getting his license and enjoys flight lessons.

On the other hand, if he keeps asking when you'll sign him off for the checkride and is not even close to PTS standards, then maybe he needs to be told that given his current skill level and at the rate he is making progress, he may not get his certificate.

How long has your student been a student? Could your student be on medication or have had a physical (biolocal change recently) that may have not existed when he went for his medical?

This is a sensitive subject and requires discreet handling, yet I had a student progress very well, then for some reason could not remember anything (wondered about medication, perhaps a mini-stroke - student was older). I have also had students tell me about medication they are taking and do not even realize they should check to see if that medication is allowed.

I'm with those who say break it to him in person, with a respectful and clear message, that he's not cut out to be a pilot. He obviously doesn't have the right stuff, I'm not big on stereotyping what it takes to be a pilot, but it seems like whatever it is, he doesn't have it. Recommend that he take up a different hobby. It's a hard thing to do, but the right thing to do. I had five older students who weren't making much progress at all (one soloed). Three of them stopped on their own and I took another job, but I wish I had talked to the other two.

I wish you courage and peace.

Everybody knows what it takes to be a pilot. Big Ray Ban sunglasses, A huge watch, and a yearning for barbque alcohol.

I had a student, didn't help that it was my second one ever, that after two years of training, had 120 hrs. He was nowhere near solo. I had tried every possible approach I could think of with this guy and yet he couldn't get it. Three times throughout his training, I sat him down and told him where he was at in his training and that flying possibly was not for him. I even had him fly with another instructor. After that particular flight the instructor came to me and said the student was just plain dangerous. He told me to let him fly with the student before I signed him off for solo. Like I said, I was new and this was an experienced instructor.

After about a year of flying with this student we went to another local airport that we had gone to several times before. We were doing touch and go's on 9-27. We landed long so I told him to make a full stop and taxi back. He proceeded to the end of 9 and turned around for departure (on 27). He even made his call out for departing runway 9. I told him to not to depart, and then told him to figure out why I said that. It took 20 minutes, and I finally had to tell him why.

After that, I realized that was never going to work. Again, I sat him down and tried to explain where he was in his training and maybe flying wasn't for him. He kept flying, I admire him for his determination, but after each lesson I felt extremely bad about taking his money.

Finally, I left to go on to a new job and I think he went on to fly at a busier airport.

I definately learned a lot from flying with him though.

Retention of the basics is the main go/no-go part of deciding whether one should become a pilot. If he can't retain engine-out procedures at the pace of an average human being, then flying is not for him. While you might feel like it is not "your place" to crush his dream, you are probably saving his life. We do not need more of this type of person putting our industry in the public view with an accident. Or flying into the Washington TFR and giving another reason for them to ban GA for a 100-mile radius. Even if you get him to proficiency, you have no means whatsoever to ascertain if he will retain the skills for the period beginning after his checkride. What about 12 months down the road when he has had no dual since? That is why retention is more important than everything else. Without retention, he will turn into a low-time student whenever he gets 'stale', without someone else spoon-feeding him.

I have noticed that many brilliant people make substandard pilots. They are creative, easily distracted, and easily bored. They often like to mull over problems and look for perfect solutions, rather than jsut get the job done. Flying is not for everyone, no matter what they like to say in the magazines.

Do this man a huge favor and politely tell him that he should focus his efforts elsewhere. You are probably saving lives if you do so.

Latest resources

Back