Question about when to switch to tower

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PreContact

When taxiing, and given a taxi clearance by Ground Control of "hold short of runway XX, taxi to runway ZZ," we're supposed to stay with Ground Control up until the time when approaching the takeoff runway, then auto switch to tower, even if runway XX is an active runway in use?

Coming from the military, they were much more directive on frequency changes. I found this in the AIM:

4-3-14. Communications
a. Pilots of departing aircraft should communicate with the control tower on the appropriate ground control/clearance delivery frequency prior to starting engines to receive engine start time, taxi and/or clearance information. Unless otherwise advised by the tower, remain on that frequency during taxiing and runup, then change to local control frequency when ready to request takeoff clearance.
NOTE-
Pilots are encouraged to monitor the local tower frequency as soon as practical consistent with other ATC requirements.

I guess reading the note would tend to have you switch to Tower while holding short of an active runway, but this is incorrect procedure and contradictory to the preceeding paragraph. Am I reading this correctly? Thanks.

When holding short YOUR assigned runway, or when instructed by ground control. You should not switch when holding short of an active runway that you'll cross to get to your assigned runway.

"hold short of runway XX, taxi to runway ZZ,"

That is a clearance you will never hear, or if you did it will be a controller error. You would hear "runway ZZ taxi, hold short of runway XX".

The difference is that a "taxi to" clearance is by itself a clearance to cross all runways except the active runway.

When taxiing, and given a taxi clearance by Ground Control of "hold short of runway XX, taxi to runway ZZ," we're supposed to stay with Ground Control up until the time when approaching the takeoff runway, then auto switch to tower, even if runway XX is an active runway in use?

Coming from the military, they were much more directive on frequency changes. I found this in the AIM:

4-3-14. Communications
a. Pilots of departing aircraft should communicate with the control tower on the appropriate ground control/clearance delivery frequency prior to starting engines to receive engine start time, taxi and/or clearance information. Unless otherwise advised by the tower, remain on that frequency during taxiing and runup, then change to local control frequency when ready to request takeoff clearance.
NOTE-
Pilots are encouraged to monitor the local tower frequency as soon as practical consistent with other ATC requirements.

I guess reading the note would tend to have you switch to Tower while holding short of an active runway, but this is incorrect procedure and contradictory to the preceeding paragraph. Am I reading this correctly? Thanks.

I think you are trying to read plain language instructions with a lawyers eye. Let me see if I can word it better than the FAA:

Use ground control frequencies to get start clearance blah blah blah bunch of crap followed by more crap and...

Switch to the tower frequency upon arriving at the designated departure runway or when ground control can no longer feasibly assign new taxi instructions.

Ok, what I mean is, if you are on a taxiway that has no intersections before the end of the runway, you know that ground can't turn you or ask you to wait for other traffic, so switch to tower. I guess, what it really comes down to is just use common sense.

After all, we still have to coolest jobs around and if you take it too seriously you won't have time to enjoy it.

It really depends on what airport you are at. Some airports I switch over to tower freq.

Oh yeah, if you go into EWR, don't automatically switch to ground when clearing the runway. They don't like that..... :)

And the "just keep moving" policy (like at ORD) does not apply at EWR. Especially when combined with the above radio techniques..... :)

Alright my general rule of thumbs (as a controller and pilot).

If Tower doesnt switch you to ground, STAY ON THAT FREQUENCY. Nothing pisses me off more than an idiot newbe pilot who changes to ground when Im working some inbound traffic, RIGHT AFTER I have said "Taxi to parking with me" or "remain this frequency". Guess what, I'll let ground know what I said and we'll watch you like a solo student.

Now regarding taxxing to the runway, only switch to tower if you are holding short of the assigned runway OR if ground has switched you. Its pretty much that simple. I know at alot of smaller towers ground/local are combined up, which means that one controller has all the frequencies dialed up on their comm panel. At larger facilities like mine, we tell you to switch or "Switch to my frequency, 127.3" etc.).

Keep the blue side up and green between!

ATCT

I'd agree with KSU_Aviator on this one. I'm based out of MSP and find it advantageous to hit the flop key once I no longer see any possible aircraft that could impinge with my taxi route and the assigned departure intersection. If I'm heading down the taxiway to go full length I'll switch just prior to the last intersection prior to the end and monitor. Why? Often times tower will offer me the "feeder" for departure which saves a little taxi time and possibly allow me to jump sequence which can save a lot of time at a busy airport. All in all though use your judgment, if it's not busy and you're in doubt if you should switch prior to reaching the end just ask.

At ATL, do not switch frequencies until you are told to do so - regardless of whether its GC to Tower (local) or vice versa. And then know the difference in "contact" and "monitor," we use different instructions at different times in order to minimize frequncy congestion.

Latest resources

Back