• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question about when to switch to tower

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At ATL, do not switch frequencies until you are told to do so - regardless of whether its GC to Tower (local) or vice versa. And then know the difference in "contact" and "monitor," we use different instructions at different times in order to minimize frequncy congestion.

This is what everyone should use generally across the board. IAH is the same way. We use "Monitor" all the time...ohh I love when someone calls me when I heard the tower guy go "Monitor ground...." etc.

ATCT

In Germany they definitely do not like you to switch to tower until you are told to do so.

I think you are trying to read plain language instructions with a lawyers eye. Let me see if I can word it better than the FAA:

Use ground control frequencies to get start clearance blah blah blah bunch of crap followed by more crap and...

Switch to the tower frequency upon arriving at the designated departure runway or when ground control can no longer feasibly assign new taxi instructions.

Ok, what I mean is, if you are on a taxiway that has no intersections before the end of the runway, you know that ground can't turn you or ask you to wait for other traffic, so switch to tower. I guess, what it really comes down to is just use common sense.

After all, we still have to coolest jobs around and if you take it too seriously you won't have time to enjoy it.

73-31 GO HUSKERS

Latest resources

Back