• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question About These 300 Hour New Hires

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't worry about a guy with 300 hours who's flying skills need a lot of work. It's the guys with 10,000 hours who need a lot of work that bother me!

Amen! That is exactly what I was implying!

100LL... Again! said:
The same get-there-quick attitude that causes people to want to get into an airline cockpit TODAY may also, as a previous poster noted, become frustrated when the fast advancement stops.
It's been my experience that everybody becomes frustrated when fast advancement stops.

Second of all, those who possess this
[get-there-quick attitude] are also more likely to cave on contract issues, since they seem to have less respect for all phases of the profession and are only interested in 'getting theirs.'
I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, there are a lot of "wonder pilots" out there whose parents were pilots and they know how the system works...but they also have the money, so why not take a shortcut? At any rate, I don't think a "300-hour wonder" who happenes to be the child of, say, an Eastern striker is likely to cave on contract issues. 300-hours means inexperienced, not stupid.

On the other hand, look what happened at Chicago Express recently. :rolleyes:
Suffering and adversity builds character...
(Speaking of Eastern,) guys who crossed the picket lines in March of '89 had a hellova lot more than 300 hours. Apparently, whether or not "suffering and adversity builds character" still depends on the individual!

surplus1 said:
To the best of my knowledge, Comair has NEVER hired any 300 hour pilots from the "academy" or anywhere else.

i just might have to take exception to this statement...

i had been hearing talk of comair picking up some 300-hour wonders in recent months that were delta interns. recently i was displaced off of the first day of a four-day trip that involved numerous boston turns. when i met the captain on the second day, he told me the reason we were displaced is because two ioe check airman took the trip so that a jumpseating intern could observe operations out of boston and high-density NE airspace. apparently this is because of the poor performance of the interns during training.

as if that isn't enough, supposedly these are DAL interns, with promises of a job at DAL when (or IF) DAL ever starts hiring again.

anyone care to confirm if this is true?

DAL doesn't guarantee Delta Interns a job or interview as a pilot. However, the internship does carry a lot of weight as a pilot applicant (as it should)

Why should spending three months of your college life working for an airline "carry a lot of weight" as a pilot applicant?

Re: Where does it leave us?

KingAirer said:
Im not quite sure where this discussion leaves pilots with a 4 year degree, 1000+TT, 300+ multi, 8 years in aviation, couple of years line service, flown all over the country, and flown some crappy airplanes.

About the same place it leaves an ex military pilot with a couple thousand hours of which over a thousand are in a 4-engine aircraft and of course a 4-year degree, when almost nobody is hiring. That guy "made it" (more than once) and so can you.

A couple of things we should remember in this discussion is that "hours" in a log book do not necessarily equate to "experience" and experience is not necessarily equated to hours.

Being in the right place at the right time and good old "Lady Luck" probably have a lot more to do with getting hired into your "dream job" (whatever that is) as hours, experience or both. If your dreams are not tainted with a lack of realism you'll probably wind up a happy camper somewhere along the way.

As someone said earlier, you can have one hour of experience repeated 10,000 times. Different types of experience/training may make you an ace fighter pilot but a mediocre airline pilot just as readily as being an old airline salt can't make you an ace fighter pilot. All things are relative. "Fate is the Hunter".

I have more respect than you can imagine for those guys who have been furloughed and taken jobs at the bottom of the barrel and flying as FOs to those who may have less time then they have in the seat beside them.

One of the best things that a true professional aviator learns about flying over the years is humility. Pride has no place in the cockpit. The fancy hat with the thunder/lightning/clouds plays well with the ladies in the terminal but when one sits down, in either seat, the hat should be tossed and the "pride switch" selected to OFF.

If the furloughed or layed off pilot has been around long enough to have acquired the desired "humility", it will not matter much that he sits in the right seat next to a boy who is "captain" of a machine that he could have previously carried (dissambled) in one of the baggage compartments of the aircraft that he formely captained himself. They'll get along just fine.

The process of being an aviator is one of continuous learning, no matter how many "hours" you might accumulate, where you happened to work before or what you happened to fly. When you've made the very first flight on which you learned absolutely nothing, it is probably time to retire (regardless of how long you've been playing this game).

Fly safe all of you and don't worry too much about who has how many hours of what. We all start with zero and there will always be a great many people that know more than you and are better "sticks" than you no matter how many "hours" you have or how few hours they have.

A successful flight is any one that ends where it began .... parked at the gate with all the pieces assembled as they were when you started, and the geese happily on their way to wherever they were going.

With all the bumps and lumps, airplane driving is still a pleasant avocation. It's been "down" before and "up" before and the cycles will continue. If you just do it for the bucks, go get a better job. If you really enjoy it, then you can survive even the perfect storm.

I don't think the piloting time or qualifications matters. If any company offers a pilot a seniority number he or she should take it and any complaints regarding qualifications should be directed at the HR departments not the pilots.

TurboS7 said:
The instructing, flying cargo, flying poorly maintained airplanes, and having bad stuff happens to you pays off later in your life. You only get to have a fatal crash once, experience will save you. If the thrust had been reduced on the CLT B1900 crash just maybe she could have flown it out. You regional guys give a try in the sim and you will see what I am talking about.........coming from a stuctured learning situation doesn't give one the open mind needed for a real problem. Read the latest Flying article, the Alaska MD-83 that crashed. The captain was thrilled because they got the airplane flying again prior to impact, it was inverted but it was flying.... Those guys stayed with it all the way to the end.

the thrust was reduced and they still crashed. We have flown the profile in the 1900D simin ICT dozens of times and we crashed every time. besides, the captain had about 3000 hours and came from a part 61 flight environment.
The airplane was so badly misrigged it could have never flwon at that CG and weight.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back