Question about the giant 170

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey 170 drivers..got a question for you:

Why is it that none of the Chattutleublic 170's ever land on rwy 35 in PHL? It can't be length, MDA used to do it, and I watched one land on 28 in ROC yesterday which is the same. SW lands it's 737s on it all the time, and Mainline US will throw a few planes there too if the wind is right. What gives?

We were just waiting for some idiot on flightinfo to imply it was stupid. Now that you have revealed yourself to be that idiot the 35 landings at PHL can recommence. About time you said something. That unnecessarily short taxi from 27R to the C gates was getting annoying.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I agree with Tool! Kinda like your alternate airport, its put on your release for legality purposes! But once your in the air, you can go to any airport your heart and dispatcher likes!

We were just waiting for some idiot on flightinfo to imply it was stupid. Now that you have revealed yourself to be that idiot the 35 landings at PHL can recommence. About time you said something. That unnecessarily short taxi from 27R to the C gates was getting annoying.

A little touchy are we? I was just commenting on what I see. They used to land there, and now they don't. If you read the thread I said I hadn't thought about the parking situation. How silly of me to forget that you don't park at the F gates with us lowly express pilots...oh wait, nevermind. I'm glad you don't use 35, more room for us, not only for landing but in the F terminal. There may have been some sarcasm in my original post, I'll admit to that. But you know what? This is the pretend world of flightinfo and I don't care what you think, I was just asking a question.

....more room in F terminal to sit and wait for the ramp to stop shooting craps up against your tire and park your hiney....at least in C the rampers push you while listening to their ipods and wearing sunglasses with their backpacks on as they finish the shift....

Actually, I am one of the lowly express pilots also. I will go to the giant 170 when I have a gun to my head and not a moment sooner. If/when I do, I will land on whichever runway and whatever airport is best suited to the circumstances. Just as you and all the other professionals in this industry do regardless whether we are in the big or minor leagues.

Sensitive? Actually I will admit to that, but only in the context that I am sensitive to the way management plays us off against one another and what willing victims we are, as evidenced by the implied tone of the original question.

I know there are some differences between the certificates.
At Shuttle we must have landing numbers for the runway of intended landing.
Unless of course it's an emergency.

If we don't have any numbers on the plane, AERODATA people will configure them and have then ACARS'ed over to us. (via dispatch)
This can suck sometimes, as we diverted to CHA one afternoon trying to get into ATL. We got the landing numbers right away; but once on the ground it took them 3.5 hours for us to get Take off numbers.

Some of the post above have been referring to runway length. Runway length only plays a part in your TO numbers. For Example, For those of you that fly jets into HPN. You will see that taking off runway 34 you will take a large weight penalty. On the E170 we loose like 4,000lbs of weight taking off 34.
If we take off runway 16. We can take pretty close to MGW. With in a couple of thousand pounds.

Latest resources

Back