Question about SWA/AirTran deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BlueBlood

I had originally heard that there was no "labor contingency" in the deal, then recently I have been hearing that folks are concerned that it may not be necessarily a "done deal". After hearing more than one of my tranny pals talking about their concern for the deal being questionable, I did some digging. Well.......I don't have the friendships I thought I had at SWA, but the few that did talk to me said there was nothing official. However, they said it would not be a surprise for GK to have something weird in the deal that gives him an out.

I had originally heard that there was no "labor contingency" in the deal, then recently I have been hearing that folks are concerned that it may not be necessarily a "done deal". After hearing more than one of my tranny pals talking about their concern for the deal being questionable, I did some digging. Well.......I don't have the friendships I thought I had at SWA, but the few that did talk to me said there was nothing official. However, they said it would not be a surprise for GK to have something weird in the deal that gives him an out.

Did you talk to the same Southwest FOs in BUF too?!?!

Gary is all about business. I'm sure there is a clause where he could cancel the purchase if he wanted too. Want would trigger that? I have no idea.

From the SWA side, we haven't heard much from Gary execpt what has been released to the public.

RF

Gary will have a way out - 100% confident on that. If the SLI for any of the big labor groups gets real ugly he will do something about it. (717s???) When he thought SWAPA was acting outside the norm for our culture when negotiating for our -800s he stepped in and said in person that he would kill the deal, period. I believe him and so did SWAPA. I don't underestimate how smart he is, and don't believe anyone will strong-arm him into to an unfavorable situation. There is a lot of room in the law here and you can bet he knows it.

Gary will have a way out - 100% confident on that. If the SLI for any of the big labor groups gets real ugly he will do something about it. (717s???) When he thought SWAPA was acting outside the norm for our culture when negotiating for our -800s he stepped in and said in person that he would kill the deal, period. I believe him and so did SWAPA. I don't underestimate how smart he is, and don't believe anyone will strong-arm him into to an unfavorable situation. There is a lot of room in the law here and you can bet he knows it.

Every deal has an exit, if it didn't he wouldn't be doing his job properly. I'm sure The Falcon has the same arrangement.

The question that hasn't been asked by the Southwest guys on this board is that if Mr. Kelly was so concerned about us Critters becoming a fly in your ointment then why didn't he let SWAPA work out the seniority issues as a contingency to buying AirTran like he did with Frontier?

I know the answer and I'm sure you Southwest guys do too, you just won't admit it.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think he ever intended for the Frontier thing to happen. He only gave SWAPA and FAPA six hours to negotiate for the rest of their careers. I do think Gary got what he wanted out of the deal though.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back