• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question about logging PIC time.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They didn't even look at my log books in my last TWO interviews.

Got a job both times too.:cool:

Airtran in 2001 never opened mine either. I was asked 3 questions and did the desktop sim and sent home. thought I blew it - they called a week later with an offer.

Back in '99 or 2000, a friend interviewed at UAL. He had something like you are describing. He had 12,000 total time, but there was a 17 hour discrepency on the dual given or dual received. They told him to reapply in 6 months.

You would think

With 8,000+ hours I don't think you have to worry about 40 hours of dual received.
You would not think it would make a difference. At my UAL interview in 1996, the interviewer found a 38-hour difference between my bubble sheet and my Navy Log. At this time I had about 10,500 hours, most of turbine PIC. My reported time was lower than my actual time. Back then in the Navy you didn’t keep your own logbook, the Navy did. Back in 1970, a Yeoman in the Ops Dept at my squadron did the carry over and lost 38 hours. I just took yearly totals when I signed off my logbook each year and never looked at carryovers. Anyway she made a big deal out of it, got me on attention to detail. I didn't get hired, which in hindsight was probably a good thing

Last edited:
At the UAL interview, you probably sat in the wrong chair, wore the wrong color tie, or parted your hair the wrong way.
You are talking about a .3% difference in time.
I doubt they will be that picky when they start running people through again.

Interview from heck

At the UAL interview, you probably sat in the wrong chair, wore the wrong color tie, or parted your hair the wrong way.
You are talking about a .3% difference in time.
I doubt they will be that picky when they start running people through again.
yea I had the famous Judy Stuk and some very tall female Capt who introduced herself with three names, like Susan Barns King.

Logging PIC Time

so here's a question about logging PIC Time, If I was a First Officer on a plane with a max takeoff of 12,500, could I log PIC time on the legs that I was the Sole Manipulator of Controls? or does it go back to who signed for the airplane? I've read where it says in the regs that I could, but what how would it look in an interview?

Thanks

In regards to that question, most will say no. Technically you can, but in any interview they will not count that time usually.

Talk about nitpicking; I got in to an argument (heated discussion) with an interviewer regarding "other" time in my military logbook.

Other time is part of total time but not in a control seat (during breaks on long flights). Our discussion became heated when asked if "other" was included in my PIC totals and I responded YES on flights when I was the PIC. He apparently didn't like that "How can you be the PIC while sleeping or on break?" I tried to equate it to a 747/767/777 Captain in the other airlines on 3/4 pilot legs. Isn't the Captain alway the Captain/PIC. PIC is not relinguished in the airlines and not in the AF either.

In the end, he seemed pissed and not satisfied, took out an eraser and changed numbers right then and there. I didn't get a job offer.

Oh, well. I am now back at my post BK carrier, watching the growth, 1-2 bids from a left seat and haven't seen a hotel since June. I probably would have accepted the job and not looked back. However, in retrospect, not getting that job offer seemed to be the best thing that's happened in my career since getting hired here 8 years ago.

Good luck to all!

Hey H2G
They probably could smell the Helo stink on ya!!

Takes a lot of soapies to wash that off...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back