Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FmrFreightDog

Py-lote
OK. This is going to open a whole can of worms, I know. I have an interview coming up, and I am doing a final logbook review. I, just like everyone else, have a lot of logged PIC time where I really wasn't the ultimate boss in the airplane. A good example of this would be when I was getting my instrument rating. Yes, I was legally able to log PIC, since I was appropriately rated in the airplane, but I wasn't really the guy with ultimate responsibility. Should I just leave things like they are, or should I go back and delete PIC entries for the flights when I was getting Dual Received? I use Logbook Pro, so deleting wouldn't be too big a deal, it would just require a reprint and another $40 printer cartridge. Which would a company like, oh.. say Northwest, prefer to see? I have plenty of honest "I signed for the airplane" PIC time, so I'm not worried about the hours. I just don't want someone reviewing my logbook to look at it and say either, "Why did he claim PIC for this?" or "Why didn't he claim PIC for this?? Does this moron not know the rules??"

Any insight, peanut gallery?? Occam, perhaps??

Thanks guys and girls.

As long as you are rated in the aircraft, you can log it as PIC when you are receiving instruction. There is a difference between logging PIC and acting PIC. You have done nothing wrong. Leave the entries as they are and good luck on the interview.

No need to reprint. If NWA asks for Part 1 PIC time then don't include the time when you received dual instruction while you logged PIC.

LogBook Pro should be able to handle that with a few points and clicks.

Don't over think it and good luck with the interview.

:beer:

I only have paper logs and I created a new column (I just crossed out solo as back when I was training it wasn't the practice to put solo and PIC in different columns.) I created a 121 PIC column. This column was hours that met the strictest definition of "121 turbine PIC" I did not even include my Captain IOE time. I've been to interviews at 3 major airlines and they all seemed to like that.

I don't know much about logbook pro but maybe there is a way to do it in logbook pro without having to change your logbook too much. That way if you need it the other way (insurance, 8710s, etc.) then you don't have to change it again.

good luck

I do it the same way as igneousy2 and I do use logbook pro. I just created a new column right next to the standard PIC column and I call it Part 1 PIC because it shows time that meets the definition of Part 1...ie the one responsible for the airplane. For my light aircraft time, it is basically all of my PIC time, minus PIC that was also logged as dual received.

With 8,000+ hours I don't think you have to worry about 40 hours of dual received.

With 8,000+ hours I don't think you have to worry about 40 hours of dual received.

True, but you never know what will be "nitpicked" at an interview.

Thanks, guys and girls. I actually accidentally misstated the facts on my first post. When I went to logbook pro, I intentionally removed PIC from the flights where I was also receiving instruction. I was contemplating adding it back in. Seeing as how I have plenty of PIC time, I think I will just leave well enough alone and forfeit the +/- 40 hours of PIC I could have gained by logging PIC alongside Dual Received. If an interviewer asks me about it, I feel confident that I can say something like, "I log my times by the strictest definition." much like I don't log Instrument time when I'm not the pilot flying, even though I'm the PIC. (And I'm sure I just opened another can of worms with that one!!!)

Amazing how an interview will make you sweat the smallest detail, huh?

Again, thanks guys, and thanks for all the "Good Lucks". I appreciate it.

They didn't even look at my log books in my last TWO interviews.

Got a job both times too.:cool:

I interviewed with Northwest in 2000. One of the guys interviewing me had a heart attack becasue when I had about 40 hours in an airplane I had an "incomplete" because we couldn't finish something. He wanted to know what this was and why it wasn't on my app. At the time I had about 6000+ hours with 5400+ turbine 121.

Just food for thought.

P.S. Best thing that ever happened to me not getting that job!!

I'm thinking the same - as for my self i have the same situation, something like 56 hours where i logged pic but was getting duel at the same time.

maybe it matters at say 500 to 1000tt but at 8000+ i'd say it shouldn't. If i were interviewing guys at the major level i'd be more interested in your turb pic, training/upgrade/work history and personality - but then again ask some guys that interviewed at UAL pre 911.

BFD - if some interview guy (hopefully I never have to interview again) down the road makes a deal over this then i'll just ..... actually i don't know what i'd do - depends how much I need the job at the time - could range from telling the guy off or playing the "interview game" and giving my best response

Latest resources

Back