Question about IFR Currency

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mazdarx7

Could someone clarify this for me. If it has not been a year , but six months since I shot approaches, what is required, and instrument proficiency check, or just do do the approaches with an instructor.. I am confused about this, please help..

Hey I just thought of this, wouldn't flying a hold satisfy both the holding requirements, and intercepting and tracking requirements? You do have to intercept the inbound course in a hold.

Same situation could be said for flying an approach that you weren't verctored on.

Not that any of us ever go 6 months without ever intercepting or tracking...

User997 said:
Hey I just thought of this, wouldn't flying a hold satisfy both the holding requirements, and intercepting and tracking requirements? You do have to intercept the inbound course in a hold.

Same situation could be said for flying an approach that you weren't verctored on.

Not that any of us ever go 6 months without ever intercepting or tracking...
Thats the way I look at it. I don't do much IFR flying, so I recently got current agian by doing holds and approaches doing my comm multi...Flying a hold, or VOR approach certainly involves intercepting and tracking..same with an ILS...

User997 said:
Unless it's an ASR or a PAR approach, you'll be intercepting and tracking a course even when you get vectored to the final.

I just went up with an instructor, shot 5 approaches, tracking, etc and he wrote in my logbook Inst. prof. check, I know this is stupid quesiton, but do I still have to log one more approach, or am I good to go with the IPC.

Mazdarx7 said:
I just went up with an instructor, shot 5 approaches, tracking, etc and he wrote in my logbook Inst. prof. check, I know this is stupid quesiton, but do I still have to log one more approach, or am I good to go with the IPC.

You're good to go.

The tracking, holding and 6 approaches can be done in a suitable simulator or FTD(e.g.-Frasca); correct?

FL420 said:
The tracking, holding and 6 approaches can be done in a suitable simulator or FTD(e.g.-Frasca); correct?

Correct! And now they can even be done in some PCADTs. However, if you plan on actually flying IFR get your butt in an airplane. There is no substitute for safety. Another thing to keep in mind is that the 66 HIT requirement is a minimum. There is a big difference between current and proficient.

Latest resources

Back