• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Quality of life at UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When it doesn't start in domicile they'll buy you tickets... or they might P3 you on a company aircraft.

…or anytime you have extra $$$ in your ticket bank.

Ticket bank - Let's say your trip starts in Houston but you're based in ONT. Normally you'd be commercialed out of ONT to IAH and then go to a hotel before your trip starts the next day/night. Well, if you live in Atlanta, you can get them to buy you a ticket out of ATL to IAH instead of flying out of ONT. This way you don't have to commute to ONT first and then fly to IAH - you can go directly to IAH.

Now, if the ticket from ATL to IAH costs more than the ticket from ONT to IAH, you are responsible for the difference. Your choices are: pay from your ticket bank if you have any money there (most guys do) or have it deducted from your paycheck a couple of months or so later; which gives you time to pick up a trip and make up the difference.

In a nutshell, hopefully your trip is out a city where SWA is not the dominant carrier because if it is, your ticket index might be very low (…what the company is planning on paying for your trip...) and therefore the flight out of your home town might be more expensive and you might have to make up the difference. Hope it all makes sense.

When it doesn't start in domicile they'll buy you tickets... or they might P3 you on a company aircraft.

Domestically, if you are a line holder, they contractually cannot position you on a company aircraft. It's supposed to be all commercial tickets.

Thanks for the info!! A huge help...

Another question for all of you, if you don't mind... I'm an RJ driver for a regional. I've got military heavy time as well. I just surpassed 1000 PIC and have T/O crossing experience. If you were me, where's the best place to focus my attention? I'm thinking I may be best to just put the resumes out there and hope for the best.

Thanks for the info!! A huge help...

Another question for all of you, if you don't mind... I'm an RJ driver for a regional. I've got military heavy time as well. I just surpassed 1000 PIC and have T/O crossing experience.

If you were me, where's the best place to focus my attention? I'm thinking I may be best to just put the resumes out there and hope for the best.

I’m not sure what you are asking?

Are you asking which airlines to apply with? Well, if you’re debating FedEx or UPS, I’d say apply with both and go to the one which calls you first (for your class that is, not just a pool-number!).

Asking, should I go FedEx or UPS? - is sort of like asking: if I win a million dollars, do I want it in 20s or in 50s???

Who cares, both are great companies.

I hope I understood your question correctly.

If you already applied with both airlines (I assume you are interested mainly in cargo flying since this is a cargo forum) I’d say your next step might be a job fair – any job fair! Introduce yourself to them in person, the people you see there are probably the ones who will conduct your interview! Check out www.jet-jobs.com, www.wai.org, www.obap.org, I’m sure there’re other venues too. Don’t know about the seminar schedules, but surely you’ll find something that could work with your schedule. Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back