Quality of life at UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JetFumes

OK guys and gals, i'm just an ignoramus, but I have a question/s. What is the overall quality of life like at UPS. How many days off do you get typically, what kind of schedules do you fly? How long to get ONT? One more, how is the reserve system. Just starting to think about cargo flying. Thanks.

OK guys and gals, i'm just an ignoramus, but I have a question/s. What is the overall quality of life like at UPS. How many days off do you get typically, what kind of schedules do you fly? How long to get ONT? One more, how is the reserve system. Just starting to think about cargo flying. Thanks.

Well, personally I think it’s pretty good but I’m sure others might disagree. How long to get ONT? Well, you might get hired into ONT, I did.

After ~ 7 months on property I was able to hold a VTO line (a “hard” line built from other pilots’ vacation). In my case I’ve been getting week on week off schedules - however it’s been more like 5 days on & 8-9 days off because we can commercial from home to wherever your trip starts and after your trip fly home instead of going back to your domicile. When I am on a trip I usually fly 2 legs each day/night but I’ve had a few 1 leggers and some 3 legs too. I am new to the company so I really can’t tell you much more as I haven’t experienced that much. Who knows, my next VTO line might be really bad but so far I can't complain.

What I can tell you though is that all captains I’ve flown with so far have been absolutely top-notch, really good folks. Before I got hired, I heard there was a tradition here for the captain or even other fos who were off probation to foot the food bill whenever they fly with a probie – I'm glad to report the rumor is true! ;)

Heck, just ask captmegadeath, she knows everything about taking care of probies' bills at Dukes in HNL! :) Thanks by the way! I know I'll be more than glad to continue this tradition in the near future.

Really amazing how cool and helpful the ONT crews are, I am sure the same applies to other domiciles too but ONT is all I know.
JetFumes - hope this helps...

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! I'm starting to warm to the cargo side (like I said before, I'm an ignoramus). If you get to fly some day stuff as well, reserve or better in ONT may not be so bad, Thanks for the input.

We do fly days and nights; all depends on your trip and your seniority of course :) I’ve flown way more day-trips than I ever imagined one could fly at a cargo airline. As far as “warming up” to flying cargo, it's more about them "warming up" to you. LOL

I “warmed up” to it in ‘98 when I first applied. It took long time to make it happen but the wait was worth it. I flew passengers for different airlines for 9+ years and had good time while doing it. However, I don’t regret switching to cargo a bit – I guess only time will tell if I made the right decision, but I sleep very well at night…unless I am flying of course ;)

Last edited:
Before I got hired, I heard there was a tradition here for the captain or even other fos who were off probation to foot the food bill whenever they fly with a probie – I'm glad to report the rumor is true! ;)

Heck, just ask captmegadeath, she knows everything about taking care of probies' bills at Dukes in HNL! :) Thanks by the way! I know I'll be more than glad to continue this tradition in the near future.

Just don't ask him what he does to get the free food.;)

Just don't ask him what he does to get the free food. ;)

LOL, long time no “see” bro. How are things at Red a.k.a. Stinky Roof nowadays?

Well, personally I think it’s pretty good but I’m sure others might disagree. How long to get ONT? Well, you might get hired into ONT, I did.

;)

I agree that QOL in ONT is really good. ONT is UPS best kept little secret.

Awwww, shucks! You are too sweet!

Couldn't tell you about the roof, but I'll let you know how Dukes is the next two weeks. :beer:

Last edited:
Couldn't tell you about the roof, but I'll let you know how Duke's is the next two weeks.

Now, how did you end up with a Hono trip, huh? Did you send chocolate and flowers to scheduling? LOL

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back