• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Quality of life at UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've heard rumors that UPS is looking for pilots with heavy, international and 1000 PIC-Turbine to be based in ANC.

I am a former Alaska resident and have been hoping to return one day. Well, I've finally (at age 40+) logged my 1,000th hour of PIC turbine and also have limited overseas time with about 1200 hours in the DC-8. Total time is about 9,500.

I plan on applying as soon as I can get my FE written done (again).

A friend of mine (not employed with UPS) said that my chances would be better if I used an Alaska address on my application. While I still own property there, I am residing in the lower 48. I certainly don't want to misrepresent myself by claiming to live there.

I don't know any current UPS pilots.

Realistically, what are my chances of getting hired and assigned to ANC? Have also heard that new-hires get paid moves and an extra $1,500/month. Are these rumors true?

Maybe some of you UPS folks could send a bit of advice my way.

Much obliged,

GP

I've heard rumors that UPS is looking for pilots with heavy, international and 1000 PIC-Turbine to be based in ANC.

I am a former Alaska resident and have been hoping to return one day. Well, I've finally (at age 40+) logged my 1,000th hour of PIC turbine and also have limited overseas time with about 1200 hours in the DC-8. Total time is about 9,500.

A friend of mine (not employed with UPS) said that my chances would be better if I used an Alaska address on my application. While I still own property there, I am residing in the lower 48. I certainly don't want to misrepresent myself by claiming to live there.

Realistically, what are my chances of getting hired and assigned to ANC? Have also heard that new-hires get paid moves and an extra $1,500/month. Are these rumors true?

Much obliged,

GP

Get your FE written asap and apply without worrying about your mailing address. I’ve never heard your address might help you in getting an interview. You never know but I seriously doubt they even look at that. What they do look at is exactly what you got: 1K PIC and heavy experience with transoceanic crossings - sounds like you got just that so you’ll probably hear from them very soon.

As far as your age (40+) don’t sweat it either (in case you did), the average age in most classes seems to be 36-42 so there are lots of guys in your age group.

Your chances of getting hired into ANC are probably about 99% LOL. They are very short on ANC crews and since this is a new domicile, it’ll be growing very fast for some time. If for some reason you do not get ANC but still want it, you’ll probably be able to get it within the next 12-18 months if not sooner.

You are correct regarding the extra ANC pay ; the company pays “it’s-freakin’-cold-and-expensive-here” override in the amount of extra $1,500 per pay period, but you must commit to ANC for 3 years to get the extra cash. Since we have 13 pay periods each year it comes out to an extra $19,500 for the first year (and the only year you get the extra pay). If you’re used to a 12-month pay period, it’s an extra 1,625 per month. Remember the exta pay is only for your probationary year, year two you will not be getting the extra pay. BUT…
…here is some enticement info I found on “the other site:”

2nd year FO pay
2008 - $112/hr
2009 - $122/hr
2010 - $132/hr
2011 - $143/hr
2012 - $149/hr
If you get MD in ANC you’ll fly international so add $4.50/hr for the intn’l override pay. Our minimum guarantee is: 75 hrs/pay period, 13 pay periods every year.

GuppyPuppy - apply and join the brown team - become HeavyPuppy ;)

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Ups

Does the extra pay require you to relocate to Alaska or just be based there? Also, someone mentioned on another thread that the lines out of Anc are not commuter friendly, how about if one were commuting from Sea with Alaska airlines flying about 12 times a day to Anc?
Thanks,
Orionpilot

Does the extra pay require you to relocate to Alaska or just be based there?

I think the extra pay is so you move there, but I'm not sure how they check that...Mega? Lil'J?, FO4EVER? Anyone?

Also, someone mentioned on another thread that the lines out of Anc are not commuter friendly, how about if one were commuting from Sea with Alaska airlines flying about 12 times a day to Anc?

I know we have pilots commuting there from SEA so I'm sure it can be done, but you'll be competing for the jumpseat with many Alaska/Fedex/UPS guys & gals...

Much obliged,

GP

Probationary pilots get an additional 1,500 per pay period from IOE to the end of their probationary year if ...... they relocate to alaska and give up any transition rights for a period of three years. There is also a move package included in the in the Letter of Agreement with the union. This is something newhires going to other domiciles do not receive.

Getting aircraft assignments as a newhire is based on what ups needs at the time. Anc has gone very junior at this time and looks to stay that way.

To anyone in the know, once a new hire is assigned their base, what are the rules governing bidding another base?

Thanks!

To anyone in the know, once a new hire is assigned their base, what are the rules governing bidding another base?

Thanks!

You can put in your preferences even while you're still in training but I doubt they'll look at it unless you're getting displaced or maybe if you want ANC, who knows? Generally, while you're on probation you're pretty much seat and domicile locked...

Who cares about quality of life....THEY PAY YOU!.....insn't that enough?:rolleyes:

You can put in your preferences even while you're still in training but I doubt they'll look at it unless you're getting displaced or maybe if you want ANC, who knows? Generally, while you're on probation you're pretty much seat and domicile locked...

Thanks, AV. Pretty much what I expected, but it's nice to know you can place a bid right away if you find that another base might be better for you than your assigned base. One of those "answer's 'no' if you don't ask" sort of thing!

Latest resources

Back