• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

QOL at Airnet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airnet has one of the best fleets in the 135 cargo world. 85% of our props are equipped with GPS and radar. 95% of them are known icing certified and have great de-ice equipment. I flew the props for 14 months and never had a complaint at Airnet. The maintenance is second to none, everything gets fixed when squaked.

Airnet pay is very good compared to first and second year regional pay. I grossed about $35K my first year and would have grossed about $38K my second year. However, I moved to JetRide Private Charter and am now making $52K plus per diem.

Yes, the airplanes are old, but they are the best maintained in the industry. Most have GPS and those that don't have two NAV/COMS with DME. The schedules vary but the flying is great regardless. It make you an awesome pilot and you will not regret coming here.

If you feel like single-pilot IFR is not for you, then steer clear of Airnet! Upgrades to the Lear are still running about 10-14 months depending upon how picky you are with base selection. Good Luck!

i heard they make you fly through ice and thunderstorms.;)

extra dough...

Overtime and 5th days are where most people make the extra $$. All runs are scheduled 4 days (usually Mon-Thur) and if your run flies on an extra day, it's all overtime.

jaybird said:
i heard they make you fly through ice and thunderstorms.;)

I used to work at Airnet and have been through a few thunderstorms and a couple of good winter storms. All I can say is that there is a huge learning curve. You will get valuable real life experience flying in all kinds of weather. As far as the "making you fly" statement which I will assume was sarcasm, in two years I only had two situations where I refused to fly through something. Obviously the flights were not canceled, I just left when I felt comfortable. To quote the dispatcher, "Just let us know when you are leaving." No preasure or anything. Now if I said I wanted to wait because my destination was 100 and 1/2 then that would be a different story but I think when the METAR says FC they won't mind if you wait a bit.

Jaybird... We all miss you bud! Not too many people left from the group that you came thru with. Hope alls well.

jaybird said:
i heard they make you fly through ice and thunderstorms.

AirNet does NOT make you fly through ice and T-storms!

I would argue that our flight department and dispatch office expect you (as a new guy/gal)to call in and tell them that you are delayed because of weather. When I started in the props, my experience was a little frost on the airframe and watching T-storms from the ground.

That doesn't mean that I'm plowing through squall lines and loading my airplane up with ice intentionally now that I have been doing this for a while.

What it does mean is that our company wants safe and smart pilots and AirNet understands that it takes some time to build up experience and confidence to manage weather.

As for QL.......... It is what you make it! We have a few dayruns, weekend runs, and a 8 on and 6 off schedules.
The question you have to ask yourself is: I'm I going to have a problem with sleeping during the day? Do I want to be out there alone with unforcasted clear ice, multiple 1800 RVR approaches a night, navigating T-storms? Not to say it happens every night but when you fly a 800 1200 hours a year the odds are that you are going to see some pretty nasty weather!

I have no regrets, it has given me a chance to find out what I want to do in aviation and what I don't want! Sure I have had moments where I was nervous, but I think that probably applies to all flying jobs. As long as you keep your head cool and make good decisions, flying freight at night is just as safe as any other flying job, just a little more fun:D And to me that is the the reason why I got into this job and it's one of the only few remaining reasons I keep doing it!

I don't fly for AirNet either. I fly on-demand freight from the right seat of a large transport category turboprop, on call 24/7, in all types of weather, mountainous terrain, in the U.S, Mexico, or Canada, fat man to my left snoring in his mic, for about as much money as I made flipping burgers in high school. AirNet would be a substantial improvement over what I'm doing right now. That said, if I had it to do over, I'd still take my present job over a regional right seat.

I agree with Art that AirNet is a good job. Not sure whether you're an idiot. Perhaps you are misinformed, or your priorities are different, or you're an idiot. I take it you haven't done much real night flying - the kind where you have no idea whether it's 0630 or 1830, but it doesn't matter anyway because you've still got two legs and half a continent to cover before you can even think about getting any sleep, or you wake up and it takes several minutes to figure out that you're on the road in a hotel, and several more minutes to figure out which hotel and what city (maybe you wake up and realize you're procedure turn inbound and 100 feet low)... QOL is for sissies.

Seriously, we've all got to pay our dues for a couple years. You can push buttons and twiddle knobs for a regional, and maybe get a left seat in 5 years, if you haven't been furloughed and the company hasn't gone down the crapper. Or you can go out and get your butt kicked for a while so that in a year or two you'll have the scars to prove that you're worthy of a good-paying job that isn't going to go away when fuel prices go up 7 cents. As far as I can tell, regional FO's have relatively few options outside their own company.

And look, if it makes you feel better, go get yourself a nice pilot costume and a rolling Swiss Army suitcase, pour on your favorite cologne, and just ride around on the local airport terminal train basking in the glory, signing autographs, collecting panties, etc...

Do the freight dog thing for a while. If it doesn't work out, some regionals will still be around, and you'll be even more qualified than you are now. I'm not saying I like what I'm doing, but I do recognize the value of the experience. And AirNet is one of the best cargo gigs around - I might even go there next myself. If you're comfortable rolling the dice on the next 5 or so years of your career, maybe a regional would make sense. But you might just end up flying cargo eventually anyway and wishing you had made the move earlier.

wait wait, did he just ask ifour airplanes have storm scopes???? this has to be a joke, and not making enough money, wow our average here at airnet is 31000, about 11000 better than your average regional. But i do have to say if you already have these thoughts, airnet is not the place for you. storm scopes... i am still laughing about that one. storm scopes are about as reliable as a caravan in icing.

Ilikeairplanes said:
So what are your typical nights like? Do the airplanes have storm scopes?

no no seriously storm scope??? i still can't get over this. well the strobe just blinked wow what a coincidence another strike!

Latest resources

Back