• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

QOL at Airnet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
QOL... You figure out what your body needs, my weekends are just like your except I sleep till about 10-11am

As for you the flying, well lets just say it's probably the most fun you will every have. Once you get to the big jets it's push the button and watch time. As a USAIR Capt said to me Tuesday night over the radio.

Tower- USAIR123 you will follow the Kingair # 3 for departure
USAIR-you mean the BE58
Tower- Yes, sorry they all look the same at night
Me- I am just a little guy
USAIR- Yea, but your having tons more fun
Me- Yup
Tower- HAHAHA

Yes, you will fly through sh!t and think to yourself wow... you will shoot multiple approaches down to mins. 1800 RVR at night during thunderstorms.
1/2 mile seems like VFR. Some A/C have radar a few do not, but the radar only scares you more so just turn it off. So to answer your question, yes I love my job, wouldn't trade it for anything right now. I think everyone should have to freight dog for a while, it will definatly humble some "Mavericks". Good luck I would choose Airnet over ASA anyday, but the choice is up to you.

OK, so most of you, except HAZ-MAT, missed jaybird's sarcasm...man i feel old here now, i remember you asking me for interview advice jaybird...and that was a long time ago.

As far as Airnet or ASA...I don't mean to sound like an A$$, but from your original post, you would be better suited at ASA. Regionals always like the guys who think they(the regionals) are the stuff, and then think that if they cannot get that high and mighty regional job they will suffer through a year or so at a freight company to build their multi PIC so that the high and mighty regional will look at them next year. Unfortunately it's true, and i have seen many come through here with just that thought process, and they never enjoyed the job for what it was...fun.

Rubicon is right, 1800RVR or 1/2 mile is nothing anymore, it is actually refreshing when you get to do it. Soemtimes you go for a month or so without shooting an approach, and you have a little party for yourself when the weather goes down.:beer:

Yes stormscopes SUCK...but most a/c have radar...and as has been said, most of the time it is better to leave it off, pick a spot and close your eyes and ride it out.;)

Pay is good here...as has also been said, you will make more here your first year than any regional...just don't let USC328 talk to you and say otherwise...Purv, what's up?:pimp:

Overall, great place, and good pay. Schedules are all different, so there is no way you can judge QOL before you get onboard and get to choose your run (so yes, you do get to decide your own fate as far as QOL here).

starchkr said:
Sometimes you go for a month or so without shooting an approach, and you have a little party for yourself when the weather goes down.:beer:

Haha, sweet- I was worried that I was the only guy who did that.

I ment to say radar... I have rented a plane once with a storm scope and yes it was a piece of junk

radars are for chumps...how are you supposed to sleep with that stupid thing glowing? why deviate when you can penetrate?

storm scopes are about as reliable as a caravan in icing.
aaawwww yes....the caravan haters. you aren't allowed to rip on caravans unless you have at least 500, no 200, no 100, no 20, how about ONE hour in it. when you get your one hour, then you can come back and tell us about it in icing. and no, the sim in wichita does not count. and no, flying out a van out of BHM doesn't count either.

Starckr: Was that you I was flying with from DSM-APA with Colin and wife in back? Remember how we almost boxed ourselves in those walls of T-storms on climbout? Where your eyes closed then? That explains it. You are the one that said go left. I was the idiot that folllowed your directions. I'll have to remember that one for the interview question of: "When did you follow a Captain and realize you made a mistake later?" :)

Anyways, from an ex AirNet guy who now flys at a regional. CHOOSE AIRNET. Best flying you will ever do. It will teach you how to be a captain. First time you make a mistake as a CPT, you won't have an FO, FA and 50 witnesses. You can make mistakes all night long at AirNet and no one will know. Well, unless your Guillotine. :) AirNet was a big family in my opinion. I miss the basketball/knockout games in the CMH hanger. I miss the poker games in CMH. I miss hanging out with everyone and knowing everyone. Including most fuelers, ramper, pilots and management. AirNet was like a family. I miss the Captain decisions of flying the props. You will be more of a Captain in a Baron than you will be at a regional. Dispatch tells you where to go at AirNet, the rest is up to you. Flight planning, filing, fuel requests etc. Regional CPTs at my company cannot even reset a circuit breaker on the ground without talking to MX. Plus all their performance info is handed to them for everyleg and flight plans filed. They just have to decided Diet Pepsi or Water when the flight attendant asks before departure. (I'm being sarcastic, don't flame me for that one.)

Anyways, the people, mx, dispatch etc at AirNet were awesome. If your good to them, they will be good to you. We always joked around nightly and I really enjoyed the job. I was on a first name basis with mostly everyone and not, "Who are you?"

Hope that helps your decision making.

Purvis

Last edited:
Purvis,

Get a life dude. Stop posting about AirNet crap. How can you afford internet access at $19/hour pay?

idratherfly4283 said:
no no seriously storm scope??? i still can't get over this. well the strobe just blinked wow what a coincidence another strike!

do you wake up in the morning or late in the evening and compile a list of idiotic points to try to make? Was it worth three posts?

And you can use a storm scope to assist in identifying radar echoes, it just requires you to think a little bit, I realize that could be a challenge for you.

I just hope you learned something by playing gear monkey for the past three months.

lol am i rite??

troll565 said:
Purvis,

Get a life dude. Stop posting about AirNet shoot. How can you afford internet access at $19/hour pay?

Starckr asked me a question and I responded. Yes I can afford internet, I'm not THAT poor. I'm pretty good with finances. Also, what else do you expect me to do on reserve? I've worked a 2 day trip (overnight in SBA, took a bike ride along the beach, never got to do THAT at AirNet) this month and now nothing scheduled until the 17th. And even that is a trip I am picking up on my day off for extra money, so I CAN AFFORD INTERNET and still stay in touch with ya all.

Purvis

P.S.-If you don't want to read my posts, I won't be offended if you scroll past them.

Latest resources

Back