QOL at Airnet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ilikeairplanes

I have a interview coming up at Airnet. I also have one coming up at ASA. I realize a regional is a better place to work, but if that doesnt pan out I will take the job at airnet(if hired). Im just wonder how the QOL is? Is it hard working that night shift? What is a typical night like? Are you so freaking tired you have to sleep all weekend? It seems that this single pilot night IFR twin time would look excellent on a resume.. Seems like a great place to build some quality time fast.

Ilikeairplanes said:
Yeah but you work nights and you dont make much money at all...

Sorry dude, but if you cant stay up all night while on the clock or your worried about being tired after your done flying then flying for a career may not be for you? Most people are tired after they work and working nights is just part of the job....the money??..thats gone dude, will be for a LONG time. Go to Airnet...

but at the regionals you will get rich!!!

better yet, just keep fondling the gear handle in your be200.

Take the job at ASA. The way you asked the questions on this thread I can get the feel for your personality and you would fit the mold perfectly over at ASA. See you on the Sinca 3 Pal!!

I don't work for Airnet, but I do fly night freight. As far as the schedules go...yeah, they're at night. But you know what? You ADJUST to that. It sucks, but you have to sleep during the day. Flying at night can be pretty nice: less traffic, you get Direct nearly everywhere, nice view of the sky and shooting stars, and it's usually nice and smooth.

The run that I'm on right now has me leaving the airport around 7:30pm or so, fly 4 legs, done by about 8am. We have runs that are a few hours shorter too. As far as pay? Well, we all know Regionals pay shat the first year. A lot of cargo jobs pay equally shatty, but there are a lot of cargo gigs that will start you around $30k/yr, but generally you're going to need at least 2000TT and/or 500ME to get those.

As for QOL, well that does suck. I see my wife for maybe an hour each day and sometime, if I'm lucky enough, I make it home early enough to crawl in bed with her for a couple hours a night. From what I hear from everyone at the airlines though, the QOL can be equally as bad the first year. You never know how long you'll be on reserve and commuting (if you choose to) can be horrible.

Our planes all have stormscopes, but I don't know how many operators have them in their a/c. I'd rather have radar, but I'm not in the 'Van anymore. If you fly freight, you'll probably end up flying a beat up old turd of an airplane with no autopilot and no GPS and, if you're lucky, maybe an HSI. Fortunately, my company has equipped all our planes with VFR GPS, but I don't know how many companies do that.

Even though the schedule does kinda suck, I do enjoy flying freight. Single pilot, night, IFR and all the crappy weather that goes along with it will sharpen your skills. Like the others above me have said, you're not going to get rich no matter WHERE you go. Apply for what suits you best, do your time, then get out and find a nice, cush, high paying gig.........if you're lucky! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.. Im just trying to get a feel for what flying night freight is like.. I love flying at night. Thats why I applied there

Latest resources

Back