• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Qatar Airways anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
EXACTLY, let's get this thread back on track about Qatar! They need guys bad, and a lot of people think it's a good place to build some time and make some money!

pprune.org has TONS of info, but it is almost all negative, but that's how pprune is...more ranters than balanced information.

cliff
LFW

Again, I have a buddy at Qatar and he has nothing nice to say. It's like being in prison working there and living in Doha.

Hey ATPCliff on a side note did you work for African Express in NBO? I read they need crews why not go there or back there?

And wouldn't it be better being home and working for USAJet than being in LOME, Togo? Don't know how (or why) you do it.

Hi!

Hey ATPCliff on a side note did you work for African Express in NBO?
I filled in for them on the -9 to some trips to the Comoros Islands. In Kenya, you can work for 2 or 3 airlines at once, as long as you have a type rating on their equipment...don't need any airline specific training...kind of like working for Delta and AirTran at the same time...very strange

I read they need crews why not go there or back there?
The CP and the Capt I flew with both reccomended me to the owner as a -9 Capt/MD FO. I talked to them, but no job. When they found out I would not move my family to NBO, I think they were worried I would get a better job in the US soon, and would leave...mentioned staying for 5 years....as it is turning out, looks like they made the right call.

And wouldn't it be better being home and working for USAJet than being in LOME, Togo? Don't know how (or why) you do it.
I think that Togo is better now. However, things at USAJ ARE improving. They just restored pay for flying on days off, so that is nice. I am trying for something better than USAJ...I am confident I will be at a better place sooner rather than later.

cliff
LFW
PS-Rumours are Kenya Airways will hire foreign capts sooner rather than later. They are starting to get severe manning issues!

ATPCLiff your information about Kenya Airways is incorrect. The Union won't let it happen and though there openings, KQ cannot hire expats (permanently anyway) They do have contractors-temp!

Hi!

Rumours are...your information about Kenya Airways is incorrect

How can a RUMOUR be incorrect? It is not a fact, and I did not say that it is guaranteed to happen.
More info:
EVERY ONE of the KQ pilots we (not just ME, but WE) have talked to said KQ WILL have to hire foreign pilots (I think they meant Capts only, but not sure), because of the number of airframes they have coming, and the amount of Kenya pilots they can recruit. They said there are KQ pilots and employees who are greatly resisting the hiring of foreigners, but it won't matter, because KQ will be forced to to keep their planes flying.

When will they start? No one knows. It is GUARANTEED that they will hire foreigners. Of course not...this is EARTH, and anything can happen. If you are interested in KQ, I would try to find out as much information/get some contacts, as you may have a shot down the road.

cliff
LFW

Huh?

You are in Lome, Togo I thought so how do you know what is happening at KQ in NBO? Also, I have spoken to Paul Mwangi directly (He is the D.O) at KQ and he said NO!!! That is why your information is incorrect.

As a point I have PW's email! I too have spoken to some KQ guys. If they hire it will be more contract pilot's. It's not just KQ but the government of Kenya does not really like expats because of problems they have had with others.

ATPCliff, did you post info on KQ on another website and then get told by someone else that your info is incorrect and your should be careful about your excessive posts and information???

They said there are KQ pilots and employees who are greatly resisting the hiring of foreigners...
sounds like PW is one of those guys.
Every pilot here (except me and 1 other guy) know a number of KQ pilots, and we have guys going back and forth between here and NBO on a regular basis.

ATPCliff, did you post info on KQ on another website and then get told by someone else that your info is incorrect and your should be careful about your excessive posts and information???
No. No one has complained except you.

I haven't posted much lately, as I have been busy studying, mostly limitations and systems (plus have been revising our checklists that we just got from NBO).

cliff
LFW

THis was sent to me and was a post from another site! I did NOT write this.

Re: Kenya Airways Expansion
Cliff - I think you're being far too optimistic. As you stated originally, this is all "rumor." Contract details have not been posted, and at best this is a job that would be available 2-4 years down the road.

Keep in mind KQ's pilot union has traditionally been hardcore against foreign DECs. They fought it tooth and nail last time (around '07) and managed to prevent it.

That being said - I believe that KQ's flight ops side would benefit from an outside infusion. From what I've heard, things are very political there, and you have to be from the "right" tribe to be hired. I've worked with numerous skilled Kenyan pilots who were denied because of this.

xxx

PS - Next time you're through NBO, tell the KQ brass we're still waiting for the accident on the B737 crash in Cameron two + years ago. KQ seems to stand for "Keep Quiet!"

Re: Kenya Airways Expansion
Quote:
Originally Posted by atpcliff
Hi!

They have E-190s, a 737 model w/ CFM-56 engines (NOT one of the newest versions), -767s and -777s. They hire a lot of cadets (no experience) and have hired DEC foreigners before. They are short pilots now. They are owned, more or less, by Air France.

http://career.kenya-airways.com/careers/

cliff
NBO

Cliff - they have 9 737 NGs (5 -800s and 4 -700s).

Additionally, they are a publicly traded company.

Ownership
Kenya Airways is 30.94% owned by individual shareholders. Air France-KLM owns a further 26%, followed by the Kenyan government with 23%, Kenyan investors with 14.2% and foreign investors with 5.86%.

Furthurmore, it was the KLM side of the Air France KLM merger that bought into Kenya Airways, and not the Air France side (this pre dates the merger). Additionally, KLM sponsored KQ for SkyTeam Associate membership. AMS NBO is perhaps their most important routes, in conjunction with KLM they do it 2x/day.

Lastly - a quick check of my contact at Kenya Airways, in addition to a perusal of the World Wide Web, plus the KQ website, brings up no mention of doubling their fleet on short order. Last year Kenya Air had their first annual loss in 13 years, plus a costly strike. Kenyan tourism is still recovering from the post election violence of early 2008, and the resultant global black eye.

Although I appreciate the optimism you offered on this thread, I would emphasize that accuracy is important. With due respect Cliff, you have a habit of popping up on this and many other pilot web boards offering this rosy perspective about jobs, and then disappearing, offering no facts to back up your claims. I appreciate the thought and the intent that you have, but I believe a little more due diligence is required at your end.

This too was sent to me

The ATPCliff Effect:

Divide the sum of what ATPCliff says by 40.
Take the square root of that, and cut it in half.

Whatever remains is true.

I also did not write this!

Latest resources

Back