Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ding ding ding

Whew!
No worries then, SKYWEST has long since peaked, and is rapidly approaching Mesa pre-BK status. All they have to do is file, park a bunch of 200s and enjoy being on par with Mesa, way to go Chip!
PBR

Winner Winner chicken dinner. Keep riding those coattails all the way to the bottom, sky worst, HAHHaha and choke on the bones....

Just flew on a Q400 for the first time as a PAX. Wow - big airplane. Accepting CRJ200 rates for that would be ridiculous given the size (# of pax) and inherent efficiencies.

Very nice airplane from a pax perspective - comfortable and quiet... Overhead bins were still smallish (close to CRJ bin size). I could see those deployed throughout the West Coast and Midwest and probably run a decent profit given its efficiency. Let's hope you get paid appropriately for them (I wouldn't bet on it).

Whos 200 rate? some are higher then what some Q400 operaters are paying right now......

A five year Captain at Lynx, Pinnacle/Colgan, Island Air make less in the 400 than a five year Captain at SkyWest makes in the CRJ200. Agreed, it is ridiculous.

5 year Captain:

Lynx Q400 = $60
Colgan Q400 = $64
Island Q400 = $66
SkyWest 200 = $68
Eagle ATR72 (66seats) = $71
Horizon Q400 = $74
SkyWest 700 = $74

Average is $67.16, so SkyWest would be a few cents above average at the CRJ200 rates. But with more Horizon and Eagle pilots at that rate than Lynx and Colgan pilots at that rate, the "average" 66+ seat turboprop pilot walking around the U.S. would be paid more than a SkyWest Q400 pilot at $68. SkyWest should aim higher than 200 rates.

Regardless, why all the "SkyWest being ridiculous" bashing? There are operators flying that airplane around for less. The bones are being choked on by the true bottom guys. I agree that SkyWest seems to be trying its best to get to the bottom, but it seems the standard for a 66+ seat turboprop was ruined by a few ALPA carriers and a UTU represented bunch.

Also, SkyWest doesn't even fly the Q, it is just being talked about. I think most SkyWest pilots will not fly it for 200 rates, and that is why there is all this talk about it between SkyWest Managment and SAPA.

The anti-SkyWest crowd is pretty vocal, but why not point the fingers at the pilots currently flying the big ol' Q for less if you want to bring up a "race to the bottom" argument? SkyWest's 200 rate would be a raise for them.

edit... I didn't include Jazz and Porter, not sure what the hourly rates for them are, and the exchange rate is beyond me.

Last edited:
colgan 5 yr rate on the Q is 66 per the new cba. in Dec it goes to 69. year 5 of the cba it's 80. I know........semantics

Last edited:
colgan 5 yr rate on the Q is 66 per the new cba. in Dec it goes to 69. year 5 of the cba it's 80. I know........semantics

Those are looking better. I was just going by the last rates I have seen, and those off of "airlinepilotcentral". I'm glad Colgan is clawing their way up.

No one else fly's q400's in colgan, lynx, island air or porters route areas, that is the difference. Skywest is only getting more flying by taking others flying for less pay and or violating court orders. That's a problem, a big one.

No one else fly's q400's in colgan, lynx, island air or porters route areas, that is the difference. Skywest is only getting more flying by taking others flying for less pay and or violating court orders. That's a problem, a big one.

If the flying is Alaska's, and Alaska gives it to SkyWest, who did SkyWest steal it from? Sounds like a legitimate transaction to me.

That defines every regional. They are all lowest-bidding contractors, that's the way outsourcing works in every industry. That is the biggest reason not to stay in the regional end of aviation, the constant wal-marting.

Latest resources

Back