Q: For Ex-airline guys at NetJets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kommutrdog

I am a regional captain with 6500+ hours and am seriously thinking of pursuing the fractional industry...specifically NetJets.

If there are any guys/ladies that have left the regionals or even other carriers to fly at NetJets, how does it compare ?

7 on/ 7 off has its positives, but also negatives...any advice would be appreciated. ( 7 off great, but 7 on, away from family sounds tough...do the positives outweigh the negatives ??)

How is the adjustment ? I won't mind throwing bags or cleaning up at all. Also, I wouldn't mind working for a company that doesn't mickle-and-dime me for everything.

Please reply. I am trying to make the best career move for myself, and more importantly, for my family. Basically, I'm looking at JetBlue, AirTran & others vs. NetJets. They are different animals, and I would like to get some genuine feedback.

Thanks, in advance for any advice/input.

kommutrdog said:
I am a regional captain with 6500+ hours and am seriously thinking of pursuing the fractional industry...specifically NetJets.

If there are any guys/ladies that have left the regionals or even other carriers to fly at NetJets, how does it compare ?

7 on/ 7 off has its positives, but also negatives...any advice would be appreciated. ( 7 off great, but 7 on, away from family sounds tough...do the positives outweigh the negatives ??)

How is the adjustment ? I won't mind throwing bags or cleaning up at all. Also, I wouldn't mind working for a company that doesn't mickle-and-dime me for everything.

Please reply. I am trying to make the best career move for myself, and more importantly, for my family. Basically, I'm looking at JetBlue, AirTran & others vs. NetJets. They are different animals, and I would like to get some genuine feedback.

Thanks, in advance for any advice/input.

I am about to hit the road, but pm me and I'll be happy to give my opinion on NJA. In short, I'm very pleased after having worked at two airlines. If it were me I'd go NJA long before JB, AirTran or SWA. But that's just me.

I flew for a commuter for 4 years before coming to NJA. The adjustment was very easy - better equipment, better benefits and with the new contract, the larger paycheck is much easier to accept. :D

Until this past tour, I had never been on the 7/7 schedule. Normally I would fly 5-6 day trips, which was perhaps a bit longer than average at my old job. However, I found the transition pretty easy - just pack a few extra pieces of clothing.

My wife has gotten used to me being away and while she misses me one extra day on the 7/7 schedule, she says she really likes having me at home for a week at a time.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to send me a PM.

kommutrdog said:

Yes, I left.

No comparison at all. Regional flying was like eating dinner on the show "Fear Factor". NetJets is like having Paula Dean, Bobby Flay and Emerald as your private chefs...

I'm also looking at the same move. How does the 7 on 7 off thing with the family. Also are the first and last days really WORK or are they travel to get you home days?

7 on/ 7 off has its positives, but also negatives

That's pretty much the sole reason I haven't applied at NetJets. Well, that and the fact that I don't have an ATP, but I could fix that issue pretty quickly. I've talked to a friend of mine who's been there for 5 years and I think I could live with just about everything but the 7 on/7 off. 7 off would be great but I think 7 on would kill me.

That being said, if that's going to be my only issue I might give them a shot anyway. With the way things are going at the airlines it doesn't look like I would lose a whole heck of a lot by taking a chance.

7n7 sux... Plain and simple.

But with some creativity it can be acceptable. One sniffle here and there can help you maintain family life and sanity. We get 12 sick days per year here that can be banked. I think 5 years worth. BTW I used sick days more often on the 17 day schedule than I do on the 7n7.

Good luck with your career choices. But my only word of advice would be to follow the money$. We aren't broke and neither are our customers and owners. And I doubt they ever will be.

I have been leaning towards Netjets as well. I am curious about the vacation policy. If I take a week of vacation, does that mean that I would have three weeks off in a row??? Also, What is the 1st and last day like? Do you fly all day, then deadhead home on the red eye? If I live in Dallas, will I start many trips out of this area?? Any feedback would be great....

T-1GUY said:
What is the 1st and last day like? Do you fly all day, then deadhead home on the red eye? If I live in Dallas, will I start many trips out of this area?? Any feedback would be great....

It seems to depend a bit on the fleet and the pilot's domicile or gateway. I'm CMH-based and I seem to fly planes into and out of CMH a lot, though that's been changing over the past few months. As for getting home late, I do find it pretty rare to be home by, say, 6 PM on my last day. But remember, the duty-day limit is 14 hours. They have to get you home within 14 hours or pay a penalty, which is one day's pay at the overtime rate. To balance all of that, several of my friends in the DEN area say that most of their first and last duty days are simply airlining - no flying on their part.

The company, I think, in the future wants to try to schedule crews such that they start and end at certain cities (hence the domicile plan) in order to increase "efficiency" and cut down on airline costs. But that will be tricky because even though new-hires will be placed into one of 5 cities, the pilots on property prior to ratification can use a large number of airports around the country as their HBA.

Yes, you get 2 weeks vacation which coupled with the 7 on 7 off results in 3 weeks off for both vacation weeks. After 5 years you get 3 weeks vacation per year and after 10 you get 4 weeks.

1st and last days vary. If I get a short airline first day, I will usually fly 1 or 2 legs when I get there. Same applies on last day, if I am far from home (opposite coast) then I spend all day just airlining home. Close to home I may fly 2-3 legs and then airline home or even fly the jet home (that is the best, airlining sucks BAD!)

Not sure about starting in Dallas, I know that is the intention of the whole stupid domicile thing so you don't have to airline, but my experience is it won't work that way.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back