Q for ASA guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IflyAviator

I have a class date with ASA soon. I understand that type of equipment is assigned by senority in the first week of indoc. My question is, if I was assigned the ATR and I wanted to be placed on the CRJ is it possible to decline or bid out of the ATR right away or do you have to go through training still and wait for a later date to switch? I am 23 so I will probably be one of the younger in the class.

If you're on the ATR, you will stay on the ATR for a while. The seat lock is something like a year, but they will bypass the ATR F/O CR7 transitions and give them to 200 guys instead. So, you cannot bid the CRJ200 or 700 in class and expect to get it anytime soon. They don't like to waste money retraining people without a necessity for it.

Now. That said. The plane is supposed to be gone in less than a year anyways. They seem to be pretty serious about it this time, not like the last 3 or 4 times they've said they'll get rid of it. If this happens, you can bid and probably get whatever you want.

The ATR is a cool plane, I don't know why there is a stigma against it. Actually I do understand why. It's a "loud prop," (actually it's a lot quieter than the Saab or EMB) but keep in mind that the plane is about as high tech as it can get without an FMS, will make you a better pilot than those flying the barbie jet, and you'll get real good at flying NDB holds.

Also, reserve time is set to drop dramatically here soon on the plane.

At 23, you have a decent shot of NOT getting the ATR. There are many 20-21-22 year olds in the classes. You will probably not get the CRJ anyways. But if you do get the ATR, the training dept. is high quality and is a lot of fun and the instructors are a great group of guys. ATR guys have all the fun. And 2 F/As, that means you and the captain don't have to share.

If you're under 2500TT, just remember that a couple of years ago, you'd be lucky to get an interview with Great Lakes on a 1900. BTW, you can make more money on the ATR than your CRJ200 counterparts can.

Last edited:
Tell your indoc guy that you are super good friends with Leonard! He'll know who you are talking about. Leonard pulls so much weight you don't even need his last name. Tell him you and Leonard go way back and you'll get whatever you want!

At 23, you have a decent shot of NOT getting the ATR. There are many 20-21-22 year olds in the classes. You will probably not get the CRJ anyways.
So are you saying that I probably won't get the CRJ. When I was in the my interview Dan said they were not planning on getting rid of the ATR's but that was because they didn't have any planes to replace them with, once they do then it would be gone. Thats just what he said. Oh, and yes your right about being able to get a job under 2500TT. I'm not complaining because I'm blessed to have a job, just trying to get some info. Thanks guys.

The ATR is an excellent airplane. I flew it for two years as a captain. You WILL make more money on it. All the cities are within the ground delay range for ATL and you can get major overs as a result. I was holding 17 days off on average with 95 plus hours of credit with out and backs (daylines). If not working is your style, nap lines (high speeds, standups, etc.) are normally in the 13 day off range and 22 hours of block. Easy work. It will teach you how to fly "right".

The only downside to the airplane is if you want that "barbie jet time" which would only hinder you if you were an intern at CAL with low PIC time.

You will love it.

If you get assigned the ATR and don't want it, just go to Scott Hall and tell him that you went to ERAU, have a 717 type and are a jet pilot, not a prop pilot.

We had a newhire try that a couple of months ago. Actually, never mind, it didn't work.

I have a class date with ASA soon. I understand that type of equipment is assigned by senority in the first week of indoc. My question is, if I was assigned the ATR and I wanted to be placed on the CRJ is it possible to decline or bid out of the ATR right away or do you have to go through training still and wait for a later date to switch? I am 23 so I will probably be one of the younger in the class.
Look kiddo, take the ATR (even if they try to give you the RJ), Learn how to actually fly an actual airplane before coming to the RJ and pushing buttons. You'll be better for it in the long run. Besides, what they all said......

Just tell them you are too 'good' to fly a turboprop. If you do that, they'll automatically give you the CRJ.

I'd suggest you quit hatin' on the ATR. Ever flown one?

I was senior in my class to have my choice. I took the ATR, and I'm glad every day that I did. Great airplane (when the company spends money to keep it maintained [same could be said of the RJ]), great crews, the BEST trainining department of ANY airline, big or small, and a lounge on D with no chief pilots. It simply doesn't get any better than this.

Get over the shiny jet syndrome. In fact, when you get to class, BID for the ATR. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Great..... another new hire that is too good to fly the ATR.... Just go somewhere that only flies jets....

Latest resources

Back