• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Put Rank on resume?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...Kathy is good, but I have a better idea...

Make up a really impressive rank and a fictional branch of service like a state militia. Interviewers (and chicks) will be very impressed...

i recently saw a resume go straight in the trash can because it was too impressive for a "line pilot" position. It had rank, commanded this and that, awards blah blah blah. if we were looking for a new commander it would have been a good fit. many civilian are more intimidated than impressed. it may work at airlines but usually not in p91 ops. he probably should have toned it down and considered who would be reading it. most places are looking for someone to "fit in", not come in and show how it should be done. the resume reeked of the later.

No need to mention rank. If they want to know, they'll ask in the interview. Orient your resume towards flying, not management. Airlines don't want smart people. They want dumb ones that do what they're told and don't ask questions . . . or at least those who don't seem like they're going to cause trouble. They're going to probably have a pretty good guess on your rank and age by looking at your job titles and how long you were in the military.

Why wouldn't you? If you were a Captain at a previous airline, you'd put Captain. If you're an AC in the military, you'd put AC. If you were a middle manager/supervisor at a civilian company, you'd put that. If you were a detective/seargent/lt/capt at on a police force, you'd put that. My point being, is that I'm sure anyone would highlight the laundry list of accomplishments or positions they held in the military or any previous company. Rank is part of that. I don't buy that civvy HR types will automatically assume that Major so and so is full of himself, self-important, or can't wait to come into their company and clean house. Your rank is an accomplishment that you earned, so putting it on your resume is warranted. I wouldn't list it in the header, but I would definitely put it in the body. Any company that throws out a resume b/c it listed rank on there isn't worth flying for anyway. And neither is any company that just wants dumb pilots flying for it.

HR people never even see the resumes that come to us. ....just consider who will be reading said resume. if you can figure that out in advance you got it made. best option is a personal intro into/walk in to the org. 98% of all resumes end up in the circular file cabinet. :)

Deuce130 said:
Why wouldn't you? If you were a Captain at a previous airline, you'd put Captain. If you're an AC in the military, you'd put AC. If you were a middle manager/supervisor at a civilian company, you'd put that. If you were a detective/seargent/lt/capt at on a police force, you'd put that. My point being, is that I'm sure anyone would highlight the laundry list of accomplishments or positions they held in the military or any previous company. Rank is part of that. I don't buy that civvy HR types will automatically assume that Major so and so is full of himself, self-important, or can't wait to come into their company and clean house. Your rank is an accomplishment that you earned, so putting it on your resume is warranted. I wouldn't list it in the header, but I would definitely put it in the body. Any company that throws out a resume b/c it listed rank on there isn't worth flying for anyway. And neither is any company that just wants dumb pilots flying for it.

I still would not attach rank to my name as a formal title on a civil resume. It might be appropriate to include in the resume other places like the chronology or jobs held. . .

2004 Retired from USAF at the rank of Lt Col

I have never put my rank on any resumes, but then again I left as an E-4, didn't want to get laughed at too much. I did however "Singlehandledly orchastrated continual revenue growth of the squadron snack facility"! Remember that crap! And I got a 3 on that EPR!!

Latest resources

Back