Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
kelbill said:
TonyC,

Yeah, I get ticked when I see typos on professional web pages, but hey, the guy is a pilot, so I would expect that. As for my bag, I did NOT send it in, but did the work myself. I'm no mechanic but I'm no clutz either. You are correct in that I hear most folks rave about the repair work, other than the fact you have to ship it off for a while. Regardless, the bag was very expensive, and the sides were wearing down quite a bit in the 737. Maybe in a different cockpit it would last longer. I'm not bad mouthing the PNT folks, as the product is good, it is just the price that is a little much for what you get. Since I bought mine 4+ years ago, they have improved it with a new handle type and new roller blade wheels.

Hasta.
Why didn't you send it in before the three year warranty expired? They would have made it new for free.

Owned m current PNS for 4 years, and just recently replaced the wheels when one of the bearings took a dump. If your luggage is stowed in the cargo bin with your company, go with the PNS steel frame. There is no way in hell anything made with less than steel will survive the rampers abuse.

Hugh Jorgan said:
Let he who is free from typos cast the first grammar/spelling cop post.
Guilty as charged - - I've committed plenty of typos, misspellings, and grammatical errors in numerous posts. However, if I was designing a professional webpage to stand as the Home Page of my business, and I was targeting aviation professionals, I'd try awful hard to correctly spell their primary mode of transportation.

The plural of aircraft is ...

:)

Hey, I'm not trying to hijack this thread at all, but what is so great about these PNT bags? 3 bills, heavy as h3ll before you load it up, type rating qualities when full. I have seen many a F/A's blow through bags by eBags, Travelpro, and Samsonite. How can I pay $50 for a 22' Samsonite and still be using it five years later with no problem? I think we tend to be our own worst enemies when it comes to this stuff. Instead of packing 'what you really need' some try to prove 'all of this can barely fit'!!! My next bag will be from Target. The rest of you can budget your $35 a year, or more if the bag takes a dump. I'll budget my $5 a year. And pack a little wiser.

Propsync said:
. . . <snip>. . How can I pay $50 for a 22' Samsonite . . .<snip>. . .
Wow, that's one big bag. . . I doubt it will fit in the overhead bin. . .

I have a luggage fetish...

... so I am always "shopping" for luggage. I do look at those PNT bags with envy, but I just cannot justify 300+ for a bag. My last Samsonite lasted me 4 years with only a wheel assembly replacement (under warranty, down for 3 days at a local shop), and it's still usable now. It could use another set of wheels, but it's now living a happy life officially retired in my closet holding all my winter/skiiing clothes. My new bag is a $40 cheapie I found at Marshalls last summer. It's loaded with "American Airlines" insignia (yeah, I'm sure it's the official bag of AA) and its holding up just fine. The biggest draw? It's a dualie, it's got TWO sets of wheels on each corner. Considering the achille's heel of my last two bags were the wheels, I decided to give the dualie a shot. At 40 bucks, it's not an "investment" like the $300 bags, and even if it only lasts 2 years, I'm still making out better.

Propsync said:
Hey, I'm not trying to hijack this thread at all, but what is so great about these PNT bags?
I was a little leery about spending that much money on a suitcase, but my misgivings were put to rest the first time I packed the bag and pulled it. Maybe I'm a little weird, but I like to put on a fresh uniform shirt ever so often, even on the 12 day trips. I also prefer not to wear the uniform black shoes or running shoes when I'm foraging for food, but I like to have running shoes for that rare morning I get motivated to exercise. Throw in clean underwear and socks for each day, a jacket other than the uniform jacket (no, I don't care to walk around in the leather jacket sans wings, either) and a pair of jeans, a pair of casual slacks, and a few shirts, and all of a sudden I appreciate the room in the PNS (it's Purdy Neat STUFF).

I also appreciate the peace of mind that comes with pulling a bag that I know will still be zipping and rolling at the end of the 12-day trip. I remember deadheading to CDG with the bag prior to this one and hearing the PA announcement in the baggage claim area for me to go to the lost and damaged baggage area to claim my bag. It's no fun trying to nurse a busted zipper for the rest of the trip.

Go for the Costco bag, 89-99 Dollars. It can be returned when it breaks or is old looking for a free one, plus no shipping or loner bags to deal with. Costco asks no questions, just pick out a new and go!

Tony C, I get what you're saying. I think there's a big difference in these bags when you start talking two week ventures. For big trips like that I guess I would consider it. For 2-3-4 day stuff, I still think it's overkill. Thanks for the 'international' perspective.

Latest resources

Back