Purchase for 135

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

minitour

I've been wondering. Is there any money to be made in purchasing an airplane to be used under 135? Could the loan payments be made as well as mx, insurance, hangar fees, GPS database, etc?

...Or should I just move on to the "No Money Down" system?

-mini

minitour said:
I've been wondering. Is there any money to be made in purchasing an airplane to be used under 135? Could the loan payments be made as well as mx, insurance, hangar fees, GPS database, etc?

...Or should I just move on to the "No Money Down" system?

-mini
Buying a twin and putting it on an FBO's 135 certificate as a leaseback is guaranteed to net you at least a tax deduction.

minitour said:
Is there any money to be made in purchasing an airplane to be used under 135?
Yes absolutely!!! But not by the owner of the airplane.

The owner of the airplane, when all is said and done, will probably end up having subsidized the 135 operation.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:

The owner of the airplane, when all is said and done, will probably end up having subsidized the 135 operation.

'Sled
At the FBO I used to fly 135 at, they had quite a few leasebacks, but I doubt any of those owners made any money at it.

The FBO owner placed emphasis on dispatching his own planes first and of course he wouldn't repair his own planes until the pilots threatened to quit. Menwhile, the leasbacks got the best maint in the industry...especially since the owner of the plane was responsible for that.

Lead Sled said:

'Sled
You sound like you've experienced this.;)

The retiring DO at a very large, well-known SoCal operator recently said to me: "I've been in this business for over 30 years and I still can't figure out how anyone makes money in charter". Hmmmm...

Lead Sled said:

'Sled

Not poorly stated.. Most of the people (owners) that I have met that have done this were wealthy enough from their respective professions that they really could care less about making/losing money in this venture. It surely isn't a market for a newly minted pilot to be in expecting to make money in. If you got money to burn then why not?. If you are expecting to make money from the start then you need to do some soul searching and put things into perspective prior to jumping into this. Each situation is different, just make sure you are surrounded by the "right" people who know what they are doing and they have the experience to make this work.

350DRIVER said:
Not poorly stated.. Most of the people (owners) that I have met that have done this were wealthy enough from their respective professions that they really could care less about making/losing money in this venture. It surely isn't a market for a newly minted pilot to be in expecting to make money in. If you got money to burn then why not?. If you are expecting to make money from the start then you need to do some soul searching and put things into perspective prior to jumping into this. Each situation is different, just make sure you are surrounded by the "right" people who know what they are doing and they have the experience to make this work.

350 is right on as usual, CBA (Chicago Bussiness Association) is owned by Steve Blank and is a broker. He leases several Slowtations and writes it all off as a loss just so his high maintanance wife can go to Miami for the afternoon and get the latest shoes. I am not kidding either, this happends all the time.

TDTURBO said:
350 is right on as usual, CBA (Chicago Bussiness Association) is owned by Steve Blank and is a broker. He leases several Slowtations and writes it all off as a loss just so his high maintanance wife can go to Miami for the afternoon and get the latest shoes. I am not kidding either, this happends all the time.

My friend,

You will be getting a package soon, advise me when you get it. . Looking forward to seeing you come in for the fight. I hope all is well and look forward to the "real party" afterwards. Hope all is well on your end and as always give me a ring sometime when you are bored.

Your phone is screwed up or something, it won't let you leave a message, call me instead, you rarely answer anyway. The party is August 6,7th and 8th.

You best make it bro, I real blow out bash with explosives, guns, boats, kegs(I don't drink when working powder), girls, lake, scuba, snorkling, jet skiing, you name it. Hope to see you there, remember 35D. I'll come pick you up.

Latest resources

Back