Purchase for 135

minitour

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 17, 2004
Posts
3,249
I've been wondering. Is there any money to be made in purchasing an airplane to be used under 135? Could the loan payments be made as well as mx, insurance, hangar fees, GPS database, etc?

...Or should I just move on to the "No Money Down" system?

-mini
 

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Joined
Dec 17, 2003
Posts
8,573
Total Time
7,000+
minitour said:
I've been wondering. Is there any money to be made in purchasing an airplane to be used under 135? Could the loan payments be made as well as mx, insurance, hangar fees, GPS database, etc?

...Or should I just move on to the "No Money Down" system?

-mini
Buying a twin and putting it on an FBO's 135 certificate as a leaseback is guaranteed to net you at least a tax deduction.
 

minitour

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 17, 2004
Posts
3,249
gkrangers said:
You know the answer to this question. :)
I guess I just proved there is such a thing as a stupid question.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

-mini
 

Lead Sled

Sitt'n on the throne...
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Posts
2,066
Total Time
> enuf
minitour said:
Is there any money to be made in purchasing an airplane to be used under 135?
Yes absolutely!!! But not by the owner of the airplane.

The owner of the airplane, when all is said and done, will probably end up having subsidized the 135 operation.

'Sled
 

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Joined
Dec 17, 2003
Posts
8,573
Total Time
7,000+
Lead Sled said:
Yes absolutely!!! But not by the owner of the airplane.

The owner of the airplane, when all is said and done, will probably end up having subsidized the 135 operation.

'Sled
At the FBO I used to fly 135 at, they had quite a few leasebacks, but I doubt any of those owners made any money at it.

The FBO owner placed emphasis on dispatching his own planes first and of course he wouldn't repair his own planes until the pilots threatened to quit. Menwhile, the leasbacks got the best maint in the industry...especially since the owner of the plane was responsible for that.
 

HMR

I Live by the River.
Joined
Dec 18, 2001
Posts
1,048
Total Time
100+
Lead Sled said:
Yes absolutely!!! But not by the owner of the airplane.

The owner of the airplane, when all is said and done, will probably end up having subsidized the 135 operation.

'Sled
You sound like you've experienced this.;)

The retiring DO at a very large, well-known SoCal operator recently said to me: "I've been in this business for over 30 years and I still can't figure out how anyone makes money in charter". Hmmmm...
 
3

350DRIVER

Lead Sled said:
Yes absolutely!!! But not by the owner of the airplane.

The owner of the airplane, when all is said and done, will probably end up having subsidized the 135 operation.

'Sled
Not poorly stated.. Most of the people (owners) that I have met that have done this were wealthy enough from their respective professions that they really could care less about making/losing money in this venture. It surely isn't a market for a newly minted pilot to be in expecting to make money in. If you got money to burn then why not?. If you are expecting to make money from the start then you need to do some soul searching and put things into perspective prior to jumping into this. Each situation is different, just make sure you are surrounded by the "right" people who know what they are doing and they have the experience to make this work.
 
T

TDTURBO

350DRIVER said:
Not poorly stated.. Most of the people (owners) that I have met that have done this were wealthy enough from their respective professions that they really could care less about making/losing money in this venture. It surely isn't a market for a newly minted pilot to be in expecting to make money in. If you got money to burn then why not?. If you are expecting to make money from the start then you need to do some soul searching and put things into perspective prior to jumping into this. Each situation is different, just make sure you are surrounded by the "right" people who know what they are doing and they have the experience to make this work.
350 is right on as usual, CBA (Chicago Bussiness Association) is owned by Steve Blank and is a broker. He leases several Slowtations and writes it all off as a loss just so his high maintanance wife can go to Miami for the afternoon and get the latest shoes. I am not kidding either, this happends all the time.
 
3

350DRIVER

TDTURBO said:
350 is right on as usual, CBA (Chicago Bussiness Association) is owned by Steve Blank and is a broker. He leases several Slowtations and writes it all off as a loss just so his high maintanance wife can go to Miami for the afternoon and get the latest shoes. I am not kidding either, this happends all the time.
My friend,

You will be getting a package soon, advise me when you get it. . Looking forward to seeing you come in for the fight. I hope all is well and look forward to the "real party" afterwards. Hope all is well on your end and as always give me a ring sometime when you are bored.
 
T

TDTURBO

Your phone is screwed up or something, it won't let you leave a message, call me instead, you rarely answer anyway. The party is August 6,7th and 8th.

You best make it bro, I real blow out bash with explosives, guns, boats, kegs(I don't drink when working powder), girls, lake, scuba, snorkling, jet skiing, you name it. Hope to see you there, remember 35D. I'll come pick you up.
 

Flechas

........
Joined
Aug 2, 2003
Posts
1,964
Total Time
$$$$$$
Mini, the only way to make money in aviation is as a pilot, I wouldn't waste my money investing in aviation. Instead, if youhave some cash, I'd suggest investing in the stock market and/or realstate.
 
3

350DRIVER

TDTURBO said:
Your phone is screwed up or something, it won't let you leave a message, call me instead, you rarely answer anyway. The party is August 6,7th and 8th.

You best make it bro, I real blow out bash with explosives, guns, boats, kegs(I don't drink when working powder), girls, lake, scuba, snorkling, jet skiing, you name it. Hope to see you there, remember 35D. I'll come pick you up.
Voicemail was intentionally disconnected by me, ask me about it next time we talk and I will explain:D. . I am going to do everything I can to make it there and you better be at the race track for fight night, the after party will be spectacular. Girls?. . Better yet, game on my friend.
 
T

TDTURBO

When is the date set, you didn't have one set last we talked? You don't need to explain why it's off, I already know, damn stalkers!


Yes Flechas, you are invited.
 
3

350DRIVER

TDTURBO said:
When is the date set, you didn't have one set last we talked? You don't need to explain why it's off, I already know, dang stalkers!


Yes Flechas, you are invited.
It is looking like first or second week of Sept. I will keep you posted, still in negotiations. You got that right, I am getting a second line soon and will give it to you once I get it
 

Kream926

pimpin' aint easy
Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Posts
1,196
Total Time
1.21
dont forgett that you'll need a C.P, director of mx, and a Director of ops
 

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Joined
Dec 17, 2003
Posts
8,573
Total Time
7,000+
Kream926 said:
dont forgett that you'll need a C.P, director of mx, and a Director of ops
Not on a single PIC, single airplane 135.
 

minitour

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 17, 2004
Posts
3,249
Flechas said:
Mini, the only way to make money in aviation is as a pilot, I wouldn't waste my money investing in aviation. Instead, if youhave some cash, I'd suggest investing in the stock market and/or realstate.
Good advice there...might just have to do that.

Thanks folkz

-mini
 
Top