• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Public Perception of Pilot Wages

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It also makes me wonder what other occupations are out there besides pilots that most people have illusions about their responsibilities and working conditions...anyone know?

Slye said:
It also makes me wonder what other occupations are out there besides pilots that most people have illusions about their responsibilities and working conditions...anyone know?
I have a buddy who is an architect. I was surprised to learn that most architects don't make much. I always wanted to pretend I was an architect.

People generally end up making what they are willing to accept. I strongly urge you to hit the job market if you are not happy with the money you are making. You may have to work hard to differentiate yourself and be creative. Or you can go the safe (or seemingly so) route of staying put and building your time in the hopes of getting the right seniority number.

I have seen people get hired as corporate FOs with 2500 hours for $60K plus bonus and options (post Sept. 11). They got hired because they worked at getting the job as a full-time job. It can be done, you just have to get out and really bust your ass to get it...

As for people willing to work for peanuts, they are out there, in all industries (architects included) and that sucks. You have to demonstrate why you are worth more money than the peanut worker. It is not hard to do, as the peanut worker generally has a poor self opinion and is either not in possession of more than minimum skills or not aware of it.

Blaming the poor, pitiful peanut worker will not solve the problem. The above will. It can be done, I have seen it.

No, he's Art Vandalay- Part time architect, part time importer/exporter (although he contentrates mostly on exports).

Very good point. Other professions recognize that we have value, why don't we?

Because it's been driven into our heads since day one that we have to start out making nothing in order to get to the top. Our instructors were making nothing when we were getting our ratings so we believed that we have to go through the same crap. It's a vicious cycle and it needs to stop. And it won't stop until all pilots stand up and demand that we are professionals and we deserve to be compensated as such.

Q200_FO said:
Because it's been driven into our heads since day one that we have to start out making nothing in order to get to the top. Our instructors were making nothing when we were getting our ratings so we believed that we have to go through the same crap. It's a vicious cycle and it needs to stop. And it won't stop until all pilots stand up and demand that we are professionals and we deserve to be compensated as such.

Good point.

Ok, I propose that on April 1 NOBODY who's main job is to fly, goes to work. That will show the world!
It would be nice if something could be done about the current problem, but I just don't see it happening. Sorry to be the pessimist. There are too many eager pilots out there who are willing to do anything they have to do to get to the top of the mountain...which most people will never reach anyway. It is a vicious cycle.

originally posted by enigma
Don't get me wrong, I make a decent living for a working man, but the lifestyle stinks. I'd be happier working locally for a half of my current wage, but being able to sleep in my own bed every night and flying my own Skybolt on the week ends.

Amen, brother!!

Hugh Jorgan said:
Last year there was a city bus driver's strike in Honolulu. When I told acquaintances I didn't sympathize much since they made more than I (a regional Captain at the time), they too, were in disbelief.

I remember when I was in Hawaii in 99 and they had a dockworkers strike. While the shipping clerks got well over 50K and the dockworkers got around 90K at least, they still struck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back