Public Perception of Pilot Wages

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jump Pilot

I'm just wondering if you have ever asked your non-flying friends about what they think pilot pilots make.

I was visiting with a VP type in a non-aviation field last week. He has a passing interest in the airline industry. Out of curiosity, during our discussion I asked asked him what he thought a F/O at a regional makes a year. His response - $50,000 to $60,000 per year. After I told him anaverage salary and the disbelief wore off, he said he could work at the grocery down the street and make more than that.

Later that day I'm flying home. I'm sitting in business class next to a gentlemen and the talk turns to "so what do you do?" I explain some of the things I do and happened to have some Learjet material with me. He looked at that and we talked about the airplane and corporate travel. So I posed this scenario to him: You just bought a Lear 35 and are looking for a crew. I'll work as the F/O on your 35. What do you think the value of my service as an F/O is? His answer was $55,000 - $60,000. I said you have a deal. When I told him the salary of my last job offer, he realized how over-priced he was. Or, how undervalued I was.

I'm not venting over this. We all know the current state of the industry. I am just intrigued by the public's perception versus reality.

Yesterday I interviewed to work evenings at my local Home Depot store. The assistant manager did the initial interview after I filled out the online app.

Naturally, he had downloaded my employment history. No wages, mind you, just the names of the employers. Two air carrier names were shown.

When I asked about pay scale, he said "well, I'm sure we can't pay you what you were making as a pilot."

I almost swallowed my tongue. :D

Yea you hit the nail on the head with that post. The public has a "Made for T.V." perspective about a lot of things.

Last year there was a city bus driver's strike in Honolulu. When I told acquaintances I didn't sympathize much since they made more than I (a regional Captain at the time), they too, were in disbelief.

Jump Pilot, you raise a very interesting point here: Is the "assumed" salary one strictly from public perception of a pilot's paycheck (compensation), or rather, from perception of value -- my wild a** guess from reading your post is that the two encounters you describe are of the latter. Intelligent people recognize this, and as such they give you a salary figure in the range of someone starting out in a professional-type career.

Pilots ARE worth more than they are compensated for today because of their responsibilities; my only question is when will pilots as a group stand up for being professionals, rather than bus drivers... sorry if this is an insult (its not the case)... I just think that a professional deserves a professional wage... whether it be freight dog, CFI, or RJ F/O: working you a** off for < 40-50k a year (to start) doesn't seem worth it to me.

BTW: Several yrs ago I wanted to fly for a living but chose not to pursue that path because, in part, of the financial problem; to be a professional I need to be compensated like one.

Pilots ARE worth more than they are compensated for today because of their responsibilities; my only question is when will pilots as a group stand up for being professionals, rather than bus drivers
We're our own worst enemies when it comes to this. It's almost as if there was some subliminal advertising techniques being used to create an army of lemmings.

Immelman said:
Jump Pilot, you raise a very interesting point here: Is the "assumed" salary one strictly from public perception of a pilot's paycheck (compensation), or rather, from perception of value -- my wild a** guess from reading your post is that the two encounters you describe are of the latter. Intelligent people recognize this, and as such they give you a salary figure in the range of someone starting out in a professional-type career.

Very good point. Other professions recognize that we have value, why don't we?

Pilots ARE worth more than they are compensated for today because of their responsibilities; my only question is when will pilots as a group stand up for being professionals, rather than bus drivers... sorry if this is an insult (its not the case)... I just think that a professional deserves a professional wage... whether it be freight dog, CFI, or RJ F/O: working you a** off for < 40-50k a year (to start) doesn't seem worth it to me.

Now if could only get beginning professional pilots to think that a professional deserves a professional wage. BTW, that would be closer to working your a## off for <20-30K a year .

BTW: Several yrs ago I wanted to fly for a living but chose not to pursue that path because, in part, of the financial problem; to be a professional I need to be compensated like one.

good choice, I wish I'd had enough foresight to make the same decision. Now, after spending all my extra money getting a degree, etc, I find out that the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow was an illusion. Don't get me wrong, I make a decent living for a working man, but the lifestyle stinks. I'd be happier working locally for a half of my current wage, but being able to sleep in my own bed every night and flying my own Skybolt on the week ends.

regards,
enigma

Immelman-

I attempted to do both. To the VP, I asked what a F/O should make. To the guy on the plane, I asked what value he would place on my service. These were both very intelligent and successful people.

I didn't include this in my lead post, but I was struck by the comment the gentlemen on the airplane said. He stated, "I remember growing up as a kid that the airplane captain was on the same level as the doctor. They seemed to be in lofty positions worthy of awe."

There was a captain for American that lived one block down from me when I was young. I remember riding my Stingray (remember those?) down the sidewalk past his house and knowing that is where the captain lived. I haven't lived on that street in 23 years, but if I wnet back I could probably point the house out.

Such was the aura.

Because so many people are willing to do this

a) for free, or nearly so, because of the "joy of flying", which is a legitimate reason to fly, but perhaps not to become a pilot who is supporting themselves and their family,

and

b) almost everyone is working toward the small group of positions where the money is actually commensurate with the responsibility, and in that process loses track of the fact that most pilots flying today will never attain the job they imagined they's get.

If you can't keep people from crossing picket lines now, how would you get pilots to stand together for a better wage?

I just love the fact that people will chose a career "for the joy of flying"...
Gimme a break man, who are you forest gump? If you love it so much, take all the money you'll sepnd for training and buy a Citabria and fly to some grass strip on the weekend.

I think it's ridiculous to work for Sh!t wages because it's such a "cool" job. I think the perception of PILOTS by pilots is the biggest problem. Most of us knew how the industry would be before we got into it, as shown by jump pilot's signature, yet we still accept the fact that we're going to be paid a horrible rate and then have no job security. Maybe we shouldn't be watching out for scabs, and start watching out for our own folly... What would you do is you were a wallpaper hanger, and some guy showed up at your jobsite and ofered the owner of the house to do it for free, just for the love of it? It would never happen, but it's a reality we face every day....

It reminds me of playing in a band in LA, there are so many people who want in, they'll do ANYTHING to get a show/record deal/contract etc...

"If you can't keep people from crossing picket lines now, how would you get pilots to stand together for a better wage?"
exactly.....

BAH!(sorry 2 hrs of sleep)

Latest resources

Back