Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
joevollers said:
Big Picture..
Eveyone likes to put two cents in and not toouch the question..Meaning they hopefully Buy performance data from Jepps or some other source..Frighteningly though, I suspect they do not and do not give it much thought..
At the Corporate outfit I was just out we solved the puzzle like this..
standard Ifr terrain separation 200 feet per nautical mile==3.3 degree climb gradient so if it's IMC that's what our single engine performance was = or > in order for us to operate.. If a sid required more you must convert to gradient. But 3.3 is what you need for normal ops without an anlayzed break out procedure
In vmc just make sure you have the min required by the specific make model...

gee thanks.

Or maybe spring for the few bucks and just get ultranav instead or relying on your mickey mouse math and 1920's chart interpretation for performance planning. Way Ametuer.

but thanks for the lesson, we were all really curious.....I was just about to drift off to lala land like every six months at FSI perf day....

:rolleyes: .

Is that 3.3% gross or net? what does the chart display?.....yawn....

Get UltraNav and be done with it... And if your employer doesn't want to abide by common sense safety procedures, look for another job...

G100driver said:
It sounds like Ulta-Nav does not solve the problem. If it say 1.7% they are going anyhow.

Good point... Still say he/she needs to start looking for another job... Would love to know what "large pt. 91" company this is.

G100driver said:
It sounds like Ulta-Nav does not solve the problem. If it say 1.7% they are going anyhow.

true...

why ask here then? If he dosen't change the rules or quit the job just shut your mouth, fill it up with gas, and takeoff...

and really, you can fly like this your entire career and still have a better chance of dying crossing the street....

(theres a good attitude huh?)

:(

"Sir, I don't think we should go today because if we lose an engine, we may not be able to clear the terrain in our jet."
"Hmmm. Well then, go hop in that PC-12 and launch in that then. Does that make you feel safer? They're both legal under the regs."

Singlecoil said:
"Sir, I don't think we should go today because if we lose an engine, we may not be able to clear the terrain in our jet."
"Hmmm. Well then, go hop in that PC-12 and launch in that then. Does that make you feel safer? They're both legal under the regs."

You and I have debated this before, I think... The above is spoken like a true goon with no true understanding of how things should operate at any reputable operator, large or small... I've been around long enough to know that there's not many high level Fortune 500 execs. that would set foot on or even suggest the PC-12.

Last edited:
other dangers

Just to add to the debate what about the extra take off and landing if a fuel stop is needed. Lots of danger and exposure for more problems in doing an extra take off and landing!

Something to think about in the big picture... and no way am I advocating some type of unsafe operation.

Just thinking about that fuel stop that CE-560 was making for fuel in Pueblo. Of courses, in hind site they should have stopped someplace with better weather.

LJ45 said:
Just to add to the debate what about the extra take off and landing if a fuel stop is needed. Lots of danger and exposure for more problems in doing an extra take off and landing!

Would it not be safer to just leave the airplane in the hangar? Flying is a "dangerous" profession and that's why we get paid the big bucks:D .

Take this a step farther; When I fly the simulator on windshear day, I almost always fly through it. Does that mean that when a windshear is reported by tower that I just land, ignoring the warnings, because that's what the boss would expect me to do and since my airplane is equipped with all this gee wiz equipment? On take off, what are the odds that I will experience an engine failure? Pretty low, so lets load the airplane up and depart because the odds are we will make it. De-ice the airplane; well I "know" we don't need de-icing so lets save some money and go before it starts snowing harder.

Personally I want as much on my side as possible, and if a fuel stop is the lesser of two evils, a fuel stop it is.

Last edited:
Singlecoil said:

Response: "illegal operation is still illegal operation, Sir. Sir, you should ask yourself this, how does it sound at the hearing when we survived and we killed the bosses children. Sir, do you want to be held personally liable for operating an unsafe airplane? I do not. I still need to put my children through college, Sir.":uzi:

Latest resources

Back