Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PSA runs off runway during a aborted takeoff at CRW!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The FAA and the Regional Airlines b*tch and whine so much about the lack of professionalism among flight crews, but THEY are the ones who hired 19 year olds into critical positions paying $18,000-25,000. What the f**k did they expect?

As far as Roger Cohen and his compatriots, they should be publicly crucified for being responsible for the way things are today. The fact that this didn't end in disaster is pure chance as the EMAS was just recently installed. Until the above problems are solved, regionals will continue to be "consistently inconsistent" in terms of safety.

Last edited:
My guess is the push will now be towards the company being able to monitor and use CVR against pilots with video cameras not far behind that. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
"You will be Good workers, You will work HARD! You will accept your generous pay, and strive to imrpove your quality of work." -FAA

I agree with you Abernathy, but there's a problem in the fundamentals of the young pilots. I should correct myself-it's not even young pilots-it's a lot of pilots-even old ones..the captain on the Colgan was in his 40's. It's an attitude problem. You can have a 22 year old FO safely if they have a professional attitude toward flying and the huge responsibility it is. The problem is that too many these days don't have that drive and motivation to learn and be professional toward their duties.

I'm not convinced it's an age issue.

We can all relate stories we've heard over the years chronicling decades old mistakes.

For example: "forgetting" to start the 3rd 727 engine until on the takeoff roll.

The problem is that too many these days don't have that drive and motivation to learn and be professional toward their duties.

This is true, but where is the incentive for people who get absolutely no reward, especially monetarily, or otherwise (with the seniority system), for people to make an effort beyond the bare minimum to do their job? There's a reason so many pilots, especially FOs, just "do my job" and absolutely nothing more.

To me, doing the bare minimum still requires a professional, safe attitude. And I'm all for doing the bare minimum after being kicked in the sack by this company. I'll still fly safely, but I'm not throwing bags etc..for them. I agree with you that we aren't compensated fairly either.

I've heard the Captain was also a check airman and had been with the company for several years. Sounds like a case of complacency and failure to brief things accordingly more than a sterile cockpit breakdown.

By brief, I don't mean the mindless reading of an approach plate; I mean the stuff thats actually different from normal ops (flaps 20 takeoff?) and requires due attention.

Its just ashame that sterile cockpit will be harped on again and we'll all have to suffer the knee-jerk reaction. I've only kept real, flawless sterile cockpit a handful of times.....usually when I'm too tired to bother wasting energy on talking.

I've heard the Captain was also a check airman and had been with the company for several years. Sounds like a case of complacency and failure to brief things accordingly more than a sterile cockpit breakdown.

By brief, I don't mean the mindless reading of an approach plate; I mean the stuff thats actually different from normal ops (flaps 20 takeoff?) and requires due attention.

Its just ashame that sterile cockpit will be harped on again and we'll all have to suffer the knee-jerk reaction. I've only kept real, flawless sterile cockpit a handful of times.....usually when I'm too tired to bother wasting energy on talking.

If what you say is true about your sterile cockpit procedures, then I say your not a professional and you need to get out of the cockpit. The company pays you to fly the airplanes how they want you to and to abide by all FAR's. If you don't get all those rules and regulations were written in blood then move on....Please.

Latest resources

Back