• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PSA recalling furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only people that claim a E170 series is a regional airplane are the people flying them halfway across the country for 23 bucks an hour, as if it justifies bringing down industry pay averages.

Well from your dash 8 vantage point an E170 MUST look like a mainline plane. It's not. Holds about 70 people, CRJ700s are bigger than the 170/175s, just shorter. If you haven't noticed a lot of jet regionals fly halfway across the country now.

Well from your dash 8 vantage point an E170 MUST look like a mainline plane. It's not. Holds about 70 people, CRJ700s are bigger than the 170/175s, just shorter. If you haven't noticed a lot of jet regionals fly halfway across the country now.

From everyone's vantage point, a E170 series are mainline planes because they are taking mainline flying, and flying mainline routes.

I guess because "everyone's doing it!", it makes it ok to fly those big planes for pennies.

Haven't you guys figured it out yet? If you park your airplane at a mainline gate you are a mainline pilot. Thus entitling you to a better than everyone else attitude.

From everyone's vantage point, a E170 series are mainline planes because they are taking mainline flying, and flying mainline routes.

I guess because "everyone's doing it!", it makes it ok to fly those big planes for pennies.

They're not big planes though.... it's an RJ. and every regional is taking mainline flying....

They're not big planes though.... it's an RJ. and every regional is taking mainline flying....

From my Dash 8 vantage point we are not taking mainline flying.

I hope you feel good about your flying being the best of the worst. Wait I take that back...Mesa is worse...or better of the worst.

Everybody else is doing it, its not a mainline plane, it just competes with mainline planes and flies mainline routes, and everyone else is doing it so why not do it too. Screw people who stand up for what they deserve.

Funny thing is, IF Mainline wins their current grievence about the number of large jets flying at the regional level, which is over by a large amount. I wonder what will happen to those 86 seaters at RAH? :( Just saying, go try to take over Midex and enjoy you 118 an hour at 20 years. Glad you are making more then the Midex FO's were (barely).

LOL this one makes me laugh... Do you really think that Doug Parker would oust RP after all the favors... I doubt it!!!

The LRG's are going to come from PSA the 70 seaters and Mesa....

Who do you think they will remember... PSA or Mesa or Republic Airways Savings and Loan..

LOL this one makes me laugh... Do you really think that Doug Parker would oust RP after all the favors... I doubt it!!!

The LRG's are going to come from PSA the 70 seaters and Mesa....

Who do you think they will remember... PSA or Mesa or Republic Airways Savings and Loan..

Its exceeded by more then just PSA/MESA. And a side note, 70 seaters arent the ones they are going after. Its the ones with more then 70 seats. Educate yourself sir.

At the days end, your comment back shows some concern. In addition if you had zero concern about your job, you need to check yourself. Here today gone tomorrow seems to be a possibility with any regional tied to Airways. Since tomorrow they could be gone, and RAH would be in a damn world of hurt. Or would they just under cut more pilots and put them on the street like they did the Midex guys? How is MCI and MKE by the way? MCI-LAX is a EMB175 route after all?

Last edited:
Who cares about those sperm garglers who fly that happy meal sized 737, lets get back on thread. 6 upgrades announced at psa. woohoo!!!
And no more TK!! Woohoo!!!

I'll second that.

BTW. I heard a rumor that 8 more F/Os will be recalled in May on top of the 10 in April. Has anyone else heard that?

Funny thing is, IF Mainline wins their current grievence about the number of large jets flying at the regional level, which is over by a large amount. I wonder what will happen to those 86 seaters at RAH? :( Just saying, go try to take over Midex and enjoy you 118 an hour at 20 years. Glad you are making more then the Midex FO's were (barely).

First off, I am glad to hear that PSA is recalling. I hope everyone is as fortunate.

Second, if Airways wins the large small supersized mini-jet grievance, it will be close to two years until a solution is worked out, minimum. IF Airways wants those sized aircraft, they WILL keep them around. There are plenty of legal delay tactics that will postpone the process until the Mesa contract expires. At worst, RAH will shuffle a few airframes over to United or Delta, perhaps exchanging a few 175's for 170's. I hope Airways PILOTS do win their grievance, as it would show a turn towards court respect for the labor positions. I am willing to lose a few airframes to help unionized pilots everywhere.

Third, almost every company has furloughed. Regionals have furloughed between 5 and 10 percent of their workforce. RAH has furloughed. We have never been immune.

Finally, RAH pilots would love to have their FO's make more than 23/hr the first year. We all worked for that or less, depending on when we were hired. Just keep it in context. At the time the present rates were negotiated, it was 2003. AWAC was under pressure to cut costs by United. ACA was dropped and going solo as Independence Air. RAH was only CHQ then, and there were no 170's. It was long enough after 9/11 that the real crunch was setting in, and no upturn had showed up anywhere in the industry (unless you were at SWA). In light of all the negativity, CHQ pilots were able to negotiate pay raises all around while fending off an attempt at an alter-ego airline. It was not an industry leading contract, and at the time CHQ was no where near industry leading. Times have changed, and now RAH is one of the industry leaders in terms of work force size, age of equipment, range of equipment, number of major partners, and number of operating certificates. We want to negotiate an appropriate contract. negotiations have been going on since May 2007. Again, the economy is not on our side for improving pay as much as possible, and again other carriers are accepting concessions or relatively neutral new contracts to get by for now. Last time CHQ raised the bar significantly for itself, much like a runner from Argentina setting a personal best in the Olympics. While it wasn't a world record, and maybe not even a national record, it was a significant achievement at the time. Now, four years later, that same runner has returned (and waited for two more years so far..). This time that runner is no longer just some faceless competitor that is there to fill a preliminary starting grid. This runner now has a real shot at qualifying for a final. But even if this runner makes the final, he will likely not lead the pack across the finish line. You all will remember him as the runner who finished 6th out of 8th in the final, but his fans will remember him as the runner who finished 6th out of 120 who arrived to compete.

RAH is evolving, and is not the same company it was when the last contract was agreed upon. In fact, those pilots who ratified that contract only make up 25% of the current seniority list. The significant majority of RAH pilots now had no say in the current contract. Let's see how they vote before you bash them as a whole. Sure, you can say they agreed to those wages by taking the job, and that they should have held out for a better airline. But in truth, over 1400 pilots have been hired at RAH since the last contract. What other regional airline with a better contract could have accommodated all those pilots? PDT could not, PSA no, Xjt somewhat. Even so, those RAH pilots would have taken the spots of your current junior pilots, and your junior pilots would have ended up here. People go where the jobs are, and at some point 1400 people wold have taken the job at RAH. NOT EVERYONE CAN WAIT FOR THE HIGHEST PAYING JOB. There just aren't enough openings. Flight instructing didn't pay enough to cover most people's bills, and Home Depot doesn't help you keep current (remember when that mattered?). Let the RAH pilots speak with their votes. Once a new contract is out, then you will know the minds of the majority at RAH. Maybe they will disappoint. Maybe they will impress. Who knows. Just have a little faith for once....

Latest resources

Back