PSA offered 900's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
whatfuelpolicy said:
From everything that has been said at PSA regarding the offer for the 900's, the 200's WILL remain online and the 900's will be used for long haul trips and not for the pathetic CLT-GSO round trips that the 700's are doing. What does this mean? 900 long hauls would mean a possibility of 1 or 2 western bases opening. DFW, IAH, STL, maybe even PHX, who knows. Possible international flights out of CLT again. Growth for PSA is a good thing. Lots of upgrades, everyone moves up in seniority, and potentially better schedules instead of 13 hour duty days with 7 hours of scheduled flying.

I believe that if the pilot group approves the 900's to come on property, good things will happen. If the 900's are declined, it is a matter of time before PSA is forced out of the US Airways picture.

This is PSA's final opportunity for any type of growth. Should this be declined, there will never be any more aircraft and the same crappy schedules will continue to be the norm.

Finally a pilot with intelligence! Its true you can get the aircraft now and live to fight another day. Growth is the only thing that keeps this career what it is. Without growth we would all be FOs for life just waiting for CAs to retire or waiting for attrition to get us there. Either way its a looooong road without growth. A nice contract does no good if you never hit the captain scale anyway.

whatfuelpolicy said:
I have been around aviation for quite a while and I spent 5 years with a crap-hole company that constantly fed us the "oh, if we do this, if we get this, good things will happen" line. I have a pretty good BS detector, and I honestly believe that PSA will keep the 200's online and will continue to run them on the short to mid-range segments. Hopefully, the 200's will take over the extremely short flights to allow the 700's and 900's to handle all of the mid-long range flights. Of course, no one knows exactly what will happen until it happens. I just hope for sake of PSA and my job, that the pilot group accepts the offer and keep PSA in the game.

I find it hard to believe that PSA will retain the same number of 200's as it does now IF it accepts 900's. Parker has openly said at a couple of his road shows this year that what USAir has to much of is 50 seat feed and he would like to see that number reduced and replaced with 70/90's, (check THE HUB for the video meetings - I believe CLT in may has one).

What is going to happen is PSA will accept this offer along with the pay, get 900's and see 200's go 1 for 1. Now you are stuck with zero growth, still the same pay and from what I hear bad schedules (if they can be worse than AWAC's right now you do have my sympathies) and the company will be laughing all the way to the bank and so will it's share holders, not to mention PSA will be giving our (AWAC) owners more money in their pocket also!!

rtmcfi said:
If it is a one-for-one replacement, there will be no growth! (except for mgmt's bonus) If these planes don't show at the regional level (ie, it costs the company in the ballpark of what the 190's cost) you will still get the growth. Captains go to mainline, Sr. Fos upgrade, Jr fos get better schedules. You still have your pride.

These are growth aircraft according to the proposal. Regardless what PSA or any other carrier does, this will not create growth at US Airways. They will be flown at one regional or another!

whatfuelpolicy said:
From everything that has been said at PSA regarding the offer for the 900's, the 200's WILL remain online and the 900's will be used for long haul trips and not for the pathetic CLT-GSO round trips that the 700's are doing. What does this mean? 900 long hauls would mean a possibility of 1 or 2 western bases opening. DFW, IAH, STL, maybe even PHX, who knows. Possible international flights out of CLT again. Growth for PSA is a good thing. Lots of upgrades, everyone moves up in seniority, and potentially better schedules instead of 13 hour duty days with 7 hours of scheduled flying.

I believe that if the pilot group approves the 900's to come on property, good things will happen. If the 900's are declined, it is a matter of time before PSA is forced out of the US Airways picture.

This is PSA's final opportunity for any type of growth. Should this be declined, there will never be any more aircraft and the same crappy schedules will continue to be the norm.

Thank God for some folks that actually know what they are talking about!

DiverDriver said:
If you believe that to be true PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get it in writing. AWAC pilots were told we had financing for 20 more 200s if we just took a concession for United flying. Guess what, didn't happen. Anything you think that's positive that could happen from this GET IT IN WRITING. Otherwise, you've got nothing.

When I see words like "sounds like" I get nervous now. Of course it's going to "sound like" things are going to be great! They want you to think that. I'm not saying refuse them at all costs just make sure that what you agree to will actually happen the way you've been told. That's all. I won't undercut you. Please, don't undercut us.

Fair enough, and "good point get it in writing and have consequences in place!"

As President Reagan used to say, "trust but verify!"

whatfuelpolicy said:
I have been around aviation for quite a while and I spent 5 years with a crap-hole company that constantly fed us the "oh, if we do this, if we get this, good things will happen" line. I have a pretty good BS detector, and I honestly believe that PSA will keep the 200's online and will continue to run them on the short to mid-range segments. Hopefully, the 200's will take over the extremely short flights to allow the 700's and 900's to handle all of the mid-long range flights. Of course, no one knows exactly what will happen until it happens. I just hope for sake of PSA and my job, that the pilot group accepts the offer and keep PSA in the game.

I think you're right!

Crzipilot said:
This is exactly where alpa (national) needs to step in and control the situation. (TSA/G*jets, another I believe and every other whipsaw that's occured) Set a nationwide rate / or cost of operting per aircraft. Whether it's through pay rates, vacation amounts/ rigs / etc etc.....And not allow a carrier to go below that.
If PSA had the safety of knowing that they could turn these aircraft away, without another carrier coming in and agreeing to do it, there wouldn't be any argument as to what to do. But the current situation, where MESA has 900's currently operating on the property, one would fathom and No vote would send these things quicker than you can say it, straight to Mesa or somewhere, and I would put money on it that pilot group wouldn't think too hard on taking on the a/c. Get all the MEC's together and agree to do it for X amount min. and you negate the whipsaw. It is this situation that allows management to come in with a straight face, and give a take it or leave it offer. They know they have 5 other whores, they can go proposition. So we are number two.

Crzi:
Couldn't agree with you more. No single pilot group or MEC can fix this situation. ALPA needs to step up to the plate for the good of all of their members.

Victor Meldrew said:
I find it hard to believe that PSA will retain the same number of 200's as it does now IF it accepts 900's. Parker has openly said at a couple of his road shows this year that what USAir has to much of is 50 seat feed and he would like to see that number reduced and replaced with 70/90's, (check THE HUB for the video meetings - I believe CLT in may has one).

What is going to happen is PSA will accept this offer along with the pay, get 900's and see 200's go 1 for 1. Now you are stuck with zero growth, still the same pay and from what I hear bad schedules (if they can be worse than AWAC's right now you do have my sympathies) and the company will be laughing all the way to the bank and so will it's share holders, not to mention PSA will be giving our (AWAC) owners more money in their pocket also!!

I don't think you are right, but anything can happen. If we accept, our MEC will have contractual guarantees in place that will put us in no worse position than before.
The US Airways 50 seat flying that is going away is Mesa, TSA, and CHQ. Although, we already know that our 200s will eventually be traded for 700/705/900s. That has been a long standing plan. The proposal clearly calls for growth aircraft 20 + 20. I imagine that the 200s will be replaced with 700/705/900s over time.

JetFO,

I like your optimism. How do you know for sure these are growth aircraft? The plan could very well change, or it could be a lie. We need to protect ourselves against that possibility.

LoveGun said:
JetFO,

I like your optimism. How do you know for sure these are growth aircraft? The plan could very well change, or it could be a lie. We need to protect ourselves against that possibility.

Declining the 900's is not protecting anyone at PSA. If the 900's don't come on board, then PSA is probably finished. Aside from the pilot group, word at the other PSA facilities (OCC specifically) is that we are growing to 68 airplanes with the option for 20 more. There has been no mention of getting rid of the 200's. If Parker is truly going to get rid of Mesa, CHQ, and TSA, PSA cannot afford to lose the 200's due to all of the additional routes that we will acquire. Dont count on PSA losing the 200's.

Latest resources

Back