• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Providing Training without a CFI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So you seem to be of a contrary opinion, that being that non-pilot/non-CFI (i.e. a janitor) can not give flight instruction,

A non-pilot / non-CFI cannot give flight instruction which can be used for the application towards a certificate or rating (barring some special FAA circumstances).

whereas only a person with a valid CFI can give instruction.

Can only give instruction for the issuance of a certificate or rating as the privileges of their instructor certificate allow.

If that is true, should the FAA investigate the janitor who is teaching someone how to use their G-1000 (assuming he know how to use it).

About the only power the FAA has is to revoke somebody's certificates/ratings. If a janitor is teaching somebody how to use their G-1000 and that upsets the FAA, not much the FAA can do given the janitor has no certificates or ratings.

So what is the opinion of whether or not a person with revoked pilot/CFI certificates can give flight and ground instruction?

Again anyone can do anything they want. It is a very regular/common occurrence for non-CFI's to help out students (I believe it is called a mentor). The time spent with said mentor while valuable does not however count for the application of a certificate or rating.

You need a CFI to get to signed to take the PTS
You need somebody who knows what they are doing to get you to pass the PTS

Two very different things.

When I was at a certain flight school in Fla getting my CFI (many moons ago) they had a Frasca sim it was free to practice on and about $50 an hour with a school instructor that could sign you off for IFR training toward your IFR rating....well we were told by a fed that with an IGI you could sign off instrument time...so needless to say a few of us had IGI's and were signing each others Frasca time for beers. Still to this day I wonder if an IGI could sign a logbook for sim hours, it seemed kind of a grey area to me....but hey a few beers vs. $50 an hour...

When I was at a certain flight school in Fla getting my CFI (many moons ago) they had a Frasca sim it was free to practice on and about $50 an hour with a school instructor that could sign you off for IFR training toward your IFR rating....well we were told by a fed that with an IGI you could sign off instrument time...so needless to say a few of us had IGI's and were signing each others Frasca time for beers. Still to this day I wonder if an IGI could sign a logbook for sim hours, it seemed kind of a grey area to me....but hey a few beers vs. $50 an hour...

The Fed was correct, an IGI can sign off sim-time.

check this
The reason I'm asking these questions is because our local FSDO seems to think that any instruction provided by anyone with a CFI must be logged and they use the FAR as their reference. Yeah, they have to. They're the Government. What? Personally I think a regulation requireing the logging of all training is intended for when that training is being used for qualification for a rating or a certificate. Yeah, and I personally would prefer that PIC time is actually acting as PIC, or that flight crew hours were...well, you get my drift.But, as I say, that's not what our FSDO thinks.They, like us, are restricted to what the regulations says pretty much in black-and-white. So the reason for the questions is to get some views one way or the other on this.What for? Really, why. Won't do no good, it is a regulation. You gonna go to Congress for a rule change on this? Nobody up there even cares about the PIC time issue or a thousand other 'non-safety related' issues.

Latest resources

Back