Profiling

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Details details

"Ever wonder why El Al has NEVER had a hijacking? Think maybe it's because they DO profile?"

El al B-707 was kidnapped/hijacked once to algiria in 1968.
and yes, the terrorists were all Middle Eastern men in their 20's or 30's.....:cool:
its about time TSA and all the airlines will start profiling.
its working for the israelis, should work just fine here and save the next 9/11.

kmox29 said:
I wonder if dodgeball will ever be put back in schools.
We used to call it "smear the queer" Before there was P.C. issues. But that was the '70s
Oh well back to your regularly scheduled bitching!
PBR

Black Water Dog said:
Assuming you are male (for sake of example) - last time you saw the doctor did you get a breast cancer exam? You are male, you didn't get the test. Congratulations, you have just been profiled. My guess is, you don't complain much about that. OTOH, a female gets the test. Doesn't mean that she has it, but those odds are much higher than yours. It's not about accusing her of having the disease, it is about having the courage and determination to be adult about the realities of the world. Not about living in some egalitarian dreamworld where past experiences and history are blithely dismissed, and absolutely no one must be inconvenienced or offended.

There is a fine line between 'profiling' for breast cancer in women and profiling all people (brown) who look anything close to middle eastern. Besides, that's a bad analogy, because even women choose to have a breat exam (it's an option, not a law).

and save the next 9/11.

We have already closed the barn door after the horse left. In fact, we've reallly closed that door!

Any passenger(s) that try anything stupid in an airplane will have the living sh*t beat out of them by others.

Our concern should be more towards better security screening of baggage, and closing DUMB loopholes in the aviation system. "Sorry sir, you can't take that plastic fork and knife with you through this checkpoint... " WTF?!? There's Burger King right inside the terminal where you could get that stuff.

Another loophole: NOT matching the passenger name on the boarding pass and the actual passenger when boarding the airplane. Theoretically, once you're through the airport security, you can get on any flight as long as you have a boarding pass, even if it's under someone else's name.

And again, punishing the over $1 billion muslims in the world simply due to the actions of a few of them is crazy. If you're gonna profile them, then why stop there? It's already been shown that, proportionately, there are more black people incarcerated than white people for various crimes. Should we start profiling them (cough cough.. LAPD.. cough)?

The answer is no.

It isn't fair to start punishing an entire race of people because a couple of them do crazy stuff. Btw, how did that Japanese internment camp idea work out?

Last edited:
PBRstreetgang said:
We used to call it "smear the queer" Before there was P.C. issues. But that was the '70s
PBR

FYI, I laughed my arse off at that because even in the '90s, we called it that. Just had to do it under your breath. I am still laughing at it now, but I have been drinking a lot of Captain Morgan/Cokes tonight :)

Flyer1015 said:
There is a fine line between 'profiling' for breast cancer in women and profiling all people (brown) who look anything close to middle eastern. Besides, that's a bad analogy, because even women choose to have a breat exam (it's an option, not a law).

Our concern should be more towards better security screening of baggage, and closing DUMB loopholes in the aviation system. "Sorry sir, you can't take that plastic fork and knife with you through this checkpoint... " WTF?!? There's Burger King right inside the terminal where you could get that stuff.

... Btw, how did that Japanese internment camp idea work out?

The medical example is no fine line at all - obseved outcomes, sensible precaution. Magic bullet? No, the best you can hope for is to increase the odds of detection.

On the TSA stuff, I would agree with you. The government created a monster that seems to thrive on idiocy. But then again, their goal seems to be reassuring the travelling public more than being effective. Airline management is probably deeply regretting turning over this function to the government.

As to the Japanese internment, I would have to say that the idea was necessary at the time. Since there were no problems with sabotage along the west coast during those years it appears to have been very effective. Easy to second guess 60+ years later, especially since you can't prove a negative.

Black Water Dog said:
The medical example is no fine line at all - obseved outcomes, sensible precaution. Magic bullet? No, the best you can hope for is to increase the odds of detection.

On the TSA stuff, I would agree with you. The government created a monster that seems to thrive on idiocy. But then again, their goal seems to be reassuring the travelling public more than being effective. Airline management is probably deeply regretting turning over this function to the government.

As to the Japanese internment, I would have to say that the idea was necessary at the time. Since there were no problems with sabotage along the west coast during those years it appears to have been very effective. Easy to second guess 60+ years later, especially since you can't prove a negative.

We're on the same page with the TSA, at least we agree on something.

We only encourage women to get breast examinations. There is no forcing them. It is by choice. But by profiling all middle-eastern-looking people, you are FORCING them against their choice, and humiliating them because someone else of the same skin color bombed something earlier. It's completely unjustifiable.

Japanese internment... "necessary" at the time? How so? After the Pearl Harbor attacks, did the Japanese people living here even plan anything bad? No. The bombings were the result of the decision of the Japanese Armed forces (government).

And then of course, the question is, "Is it ever okay to kill innocent civilians during war?" Most would answer no. But, we dropped two nuclear bombs over Japan... wiping out entire cities. The way I see it, if a civilian picks up a gun or starts throwing rocks at you, that civilian is then a 'threat.' Threats should be neutralized. But everyday people living their everyday lives didn't deserve to die in those atomic bombs.

We can say all we want about freedom values that we belive in, but believe it, the Japanese will never forget or forgive what happened a few decades ago (even though they might pretend to). Same goes for black people, who weren't treated fairly their rights until the '60s. We can act like everything is peachy, but our history has been tainted.

What's really sad? These al-Qaeda soldiers kill our American soldiers with weapons that WE gave them in the '80s to fight against the Russians. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." Humph. Supposedly, the US government (CIA) actually worked with bin Laden forces way back in the 80s. Our foreign policy and course of action in the last 30 years or so has helped create these vicious terrorist monsters.

And now, we are willing to profile (and hence, humiliate, and 'punish') brown colored people due largely to the failure of our government's policies since the last thiry years? That's sad....

Spreading democracy in the middle east? Good luck with that. How would you feel if tomorrow, China invaded us saying that we will have to follow communism (their belief)? Wouldn't you fight back? And I think that's exactly what the Iraqi insurgents are doing now. Sadly, our boys in Iraq continue to pay the price for the screw ups of this administration.

Yeah, lets profile so that we can capture all terrorists and lock them up. I never met so many immature people till i started coming on this thread. Here are some facts for you people (remember these are facts).

1. Christians have killed more people in the name of religion than anyone else (slavery, genocide of native americans, imperialism, crusades).

2. Christians commit more molestations than anyone else.

3. The western world has raped and destroyed more cultures than anyone group of people.

NOw are all christians bad? NO Are all christians held liable for the actions of the few? NO So why do you treat other religions and people inferior for your political cause?

I am sad to see that people are still racists toward african americans and others to this day. As pilots we need to grow up and destroy the racism that is fostered to this day.

How can people still say that the Japanese internment camps are necessary? This might come as a surprise but there were more German spies in america than japanese but we didnt throw the German-Americans into camps for the simple reason that they were white anglo-saxons.

Historians have proved over and over again that there was severe racism in WWII with the Japanese-americans. So how could you sit here and say that it was necessary. I am sure you think that slavery was necessary also dont you? I am also sure that you thought this land belonged to white anglo-saxons?

Sir Humpalot said:
Yeah, lets profile so that we can capture all terrorists and lock them up. I never met so many immature people till i started coming on this thread. Here are some facts for you people (remember these are facts).

1. Christians have killed more people in the name of religion than anyone else (slavery, genocide of native americans, imperialism, crusades).

2. Christians commit more molestations than anyone else.

3. The western world has raped and destroyed more cultures than anyone group of people.

NOw are all christians bad? NO Are all christians held liable for the actions of the few? NO So why do you treat other religions and people inferior for your political cause?

I am sad to see that people are still racists toward african americans and others to this day. As pilots we need to grow up and destroy the racism that is fostered to this day.

Those are good points. You sound like you know what's going on.

That's the problem today in our American society is that TOO MANY people are just ignorant of what's really going on in the world, and even worse, they don't care to know. They'll buy what Fox News says. Period.

There is reasoning behind these terrorist acts, and one needs not look any further than our government's actions in the Middle East and Afghanistan in the last 20-30 years.

Lastly, I'm sick and tired of hearing conservative people living in the isolated parts of the USA like in North Dakota, who claim they voted for Bush cause al Qaeda might attack them, and Bush will protect them.

Bullsh*t... al Qaeda is not going to attack North Dakota.

I'm sorry, but if you're a terrorist trying to attack the United States, and you hit North Dakota, then you MISSED !

Last edited:
Oh yes, the IRA has hijacked hundreds, well dozens, well so they've never hijacked an airliner. Maybe they will next week, so let's let that Arab pass TSA and shake down that geeky white guy with the thick glasses.

If the act of hijacking an airplane equates to an act of terrorism then the Cubans are historically the biggest terrorists ever! I don't see a special strip search line at airport security specifically for Cubans.

Latest resources

Back